Made my reservations for a 18 day cruise to Antarctica

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:24 am
I did it! I'm booked for a January 12, 2005, sailing to Antarctica for 18 days. This one put me in the poor house, but it'll probably be my last "big splurg" trip. I'm now accepting donations. LOL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 15
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
Here's a "tip".

I hear cell phone service is really spotty down there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:36 am
I don't own a cell phone, and probably never will own one. I rarely use our wireless at home; about a dozen times a year. My wife has a cell phone for "emergency use."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:36 am
Wow! C.I. Antarctica? Hope a Californian going to the sub continent isn't like Sam McGee who was from Tennessee.

Sorry, I don't have one dime to spare. Razz
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:49 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I don't own a cell phone, and probably never will own one. I rarely use our wireless at home; about a dozen times a year. My wife has a cell phone for "emergency use."

Well, you're certainly in the minority C.I. I was just joking with you anyway. At least I know you're not one of those idiots driving around, cell phone held up to ear, jabbering away about nothing, rear ending people.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:23 am
Letty, I spent a couple of days in Ushuaia in November of 2002, so I have some idea of what it "feels" like. This will be my second cruise around Cape Horn. Wink The travel company is "giving" us a red parka - so it should be colorful against the backdrop of antarctic ice.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:25 pm
Tell me you're not sailing on the Endurance...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:46 pm
On the Marco Polo. Have sailed on her before from Istanbul to Athens. Small boat with great staff - as I recall.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:05 pm
wow, ci, that is great! You're doing part of Europe again this summer, right? And now another trip for 2005.
I remember reading a comment from you about a year ago to the effect that your traveling days were probably over. I know your age but I also know how much you enjoy doing it. Keep on truckin' please, ci. -johnboy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:17 pm
rjb, Thanks for remembering and for your encouragement. I thought I needed to slow down my traveling for the past year because I served on the county civil grand jury which ends on June 24, but I was still able to visit Canada and Japan. I'll keep truck'n as long as my body lets me. Wink
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:23 pm
I sure wish I had cicerone's money. How many of us are really free to travel the globe on a whim?

Very few indeed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:25 pm
gus, We're just enjoying the fruits of our labor; we started saving 15 to 20 percent of our income from early on in our marriage. Wink
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:35 pm
Well, you deserve it, c.i.

Go forth and have a good time.

I shall continue staring at my fetid swamp and traveling the world vicariously through your posts.

Would that be ok?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:37 pm
That's more than okay. Glad to share my experiences with friends and family. Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:08 pm
cool!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:10 am
Shocked Wow, too cool c.i.! Enjoy!

But don't let Gus come along, even vicariously... it could be dangerous and maybe even get you arrested. Idea
0 Replies