SLIDING MITRE SAW (portable)

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 03:06 pm
Ive been looking to replace a 30 year old Sears Chop saw. I have a radial arm saw that I don't like so I wanted to get a sliding mitre saw.
Im torn between a DeWalt 12" (14" cross cut) qnd a RIDGID 12" (13" cross cut)

ANYONE with experience or advice? Ive been reading all the testimonials ND I THINK THEY ARE "MINED" . So I don't hold much on them an Consumer Repts doesn't have any recent ratings.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 03:42 pm
I don't have a DeWalt, but I have other DeWalt tools and I am very satisfied with those.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 03:51 pm
@farmerman,
I would vote for the DeWalt over Rigid. My 'go to' on power tools that I don't have solid opinions on happens to be Bosch, but every brand seems to have it's own line up of winners and losers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:27 pm
@farmerman,
DeWalt is Black and Decker's "proline" tools. I know they make good stuff but, Ive been reading these tstimonials and they all ound too good.
The DeWalt and the Rigid are both 1400 watts n 4K rpm.

(Ridgid is 400 and De Walt is 600$-no tax cause Ill buy em in Delaware)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:35 pm
@farmerman,
A diversion - When I was a framer at the apartment and new home sites around Houston, I often bought the cheapest Black and Decker circular saws. They were not fine instruments, but there were lots of times mine would be the only saw on the job that could cut dependably. That was in the late 70s, through the 80s and early 90s.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nowadays, the Amish guys that do work for us at the farm, use HILTI tools (battery op). Or MILWAUKEE. They buy lots of batteries and keep em charges through the job s each Lithium battery now lasts about 2 hours hard work.
I don't wanna spend that kind of money for what will basically be HOM SHOP TOOL
My Sears Tble saw is 25 years old and it qoks jut fine (I tune it up about 1 a year)
So the Se Walt or Ridgid will do fine.

LOWes makes a COBLT saw which is even cheaper but it seems like one of those "Indonesin" tools of 200 watss.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:56 pm
The only battery powered tools I like are the drills and such. I never had a reciprocating, circular or sander worth its salt (in my view).
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 06:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
the new ones are really good. I don't want a battery operated mitre saw though.

I have a20 v "FUEL" Milwaukee SAWZALL and its great.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 07:07 pm
@farmerman,
I haven't tried any Milwaukee tools.
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2015 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Theyre like any other except they are reported to take a lot of use.
They are a bit pricier but we have these AMISH farm stores where they sell tools that are battery operated or else PNEUMATIC MOTORS. Markeup in AMISH stores is always 10% or less, Its NEVER 100%
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 09:09 am
got a De Walt 12", (14" cross cut and 6.5" thick cut)
Building a table with a sunken base and about a 3 ft side rest at the elevation of table
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
Can I borrow it, Uncle fm?
farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 04:45 am
@edgarblythe,
yull need a map
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 05:32 am
@farmerman,
I always liked the regular chop saws. But the gliders are so much nicer. First one I bought, I noticed the package had been previously opened, after I got it home. It did not glide smoothly. Had to take it to a different store for a replacement. I'm wishing right now for a band saw, but if horses were beggars kings and wishes would ride.
farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 08:46 am
@edgarblythe,
I buy my big power tools through auctons and I have a guy tune em up fr me. Iget great deals.

My computer is actng crzy. need repairs nw.
Ill be bck someday.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:55 am
Before I retired I did architectural millwork(fancy trim) for 10 years.
The #1 slide saw on these huge hotel jobs was the Dewalt.
But I fell in love with a 12" Hitachi.It was true and durable(til it got stolen.)
I found one online for$209.00(reconditioned).

For a home shop, it's the tits.

edit-get your damn confuser fixed FM!
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 04:49 am
@panzade,
Ialready bought the DeWalt but I tried a Hitachi and, aside from its bilious Green color, it is a smooth operating unit. (I was doing some board trimming at a friends place.
The 200$ difference between it and the De Walt kind of pisses me off.

Lowes has em on sale for a month. DAYUM.

Oh well, the tool décor in my shop is pretty much deWalt yellow and Milwaukee red.
Yesterday when I got home, I installed a new set of tires on my band saw.
panzade

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 11:08 am
@farmerman,
And Wimmens say us menfolk have no sense of color! Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 08:11 pm
@panzade,
Ive been using my compound slider chop saw and miter all winter (so far) . Now I needs to make me a Miter saw table where the saw table is inset so the wooden surface on either side of the saw blade will act like a fence. Im sure I can come up with a design , but Im wondering if any of the woodworkers hve ever put together such a gizmo and whether they would share their plans?
pretty pleeez?
panzade

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2016 02:02 am
@farmerman,
This plan is similar to the table we used to make when we first got to the job.You can just make the upper part if you already have a bench
http://blog.homedepot.com/diy-miter-saw-bench/