The most basic guideline for furniture maintenance is very simple and straightforward. It is to handle furniture carefully and thoughtfully. There are a few suggestions that can be made for cleaning furniture made of different surfaces. As it has been found, that a number of the cleaning practices followed normally, actually damages the furniture. Here are a few tips to clean, polish and maintain your furniture:
1. The simplest way of maintaining furniture is to use it carefully and keep it clean.
2. Wooden furniture should be cleaned only when there is a build up of wax or dirt.
3. Unfinished wood, painted wood and wood with sturdy finish should be cleaned regularly.
4. The finish on gilt wood is water soluble therefore it should be dusted and not cleaned. A professional should clean it.
5. Before cleaning wood, decide whether the surface is stable enough to use a cleaning or polishing agent. As the cleaning agent can damage some surfaces. If the surface is damage to begin with then give the furniture to a conservator.
6. Find out what kind of dirt has settled on the furniture and what kind of surface the piece has. The simplest thing to do is to find out what will remove the dirt without damaging the surface.