117

Furniture maintenance

kethlin

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 04:00 am
# The simplest way of maintaining furniture is to use it carefully and keep it clean.
# Wooden furniture should be cleaned only when there is a build up of wax or dirt.
# Unfinished wood, painted wood and wood with sturdy finish should be cleaned regularly.
# The finish on giltwood is water soluble therefore it should be dusted and not cleaned. A professional should clean it.
# Before cleaning wood, decide whether the surface is stable enough to use a cleaning or polishing agent. As the cleaning agent can damage some surfaces. If the surface is damage to begin with then give the furniture to a conservator.
# Find out what kind of dirt has settled on the furniture and what kind of surface the piece has. The simplest thing to do is to find out what will remove the dirt without damaging the surface.
# Loose dust can be easily removed with lint-free cloth by gently wipe the surface of the furniture with this cloth. Dust can be removed by wiping with a damp cloth. Dust can scratch the surface therefore work carefully. To dust carved surfaces use a soft natural bristle brush. Do not use a feather duster, as it will scratch the surface.
# If the surface condition is good then you can use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. But do not let the metal and plastic parts of the vacuum cleaner drag over the surface you are cleaning, as it will result in scratches.
# Wax, oil and other dirt, that has built up on the furniture can be removed by using mineral spirit, naphtha or paint thinner. You will have to find out which solvent removes the dirt. For this, dip cotton ball in the solvent and apply on a small area of the furniture that is not visible to the eye. If there is no damage to the surface then you can use the solvent. Use diluted solvent.
Type: Discussion • Score: 117 • Views: 13,793 • Replies: 94

AndrewJayden

1  
Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 05:22 am
@kethlin,
Nice post, I want more information to protect antique furniture.
Karlpt

1  
Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 12:14 pm
@kethlin,
I agree with all these factors. Home furniture is main decoration of house. So one should always keep it neat and clean.
Prince Josef

0  
Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 02:28 am
@Karlpt,
I also agreed your views Thanks

johnmcclane123

-1  
Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:55 am
@kethlin,
thanks for sharing this information . i will follow them to make my home shinning..
Michael Wilson

-1  
Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 10:39 am
@johnmcclane123,
Hello guys

To maintain the finish, mild dish soap is recommended for cleaning up after spills, just as you would clean woodwork. Vinegar can also be used. If a mild abrasive is needed, baking soda toothpaste works well when applied with a soft damp cloth. For additional protection, there are many products on the market., and some are hazardous to your furniture's health. Cleaners such as Pledge and Murphy. Oil Soap are not recommended because they leave a dull residue on the finish. Never use products containing ammonia on water base finishes. Polishes such orange oil work well for routine maintenance.

Thanks for sharing
Michael Wilson

nestork

1  
Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 10:59 pm
@kethlin,
Kethlin: I was skimming through your list when I came to the last point, repeated here:

A few points:

1. Mineral spirits IS normally what paint thinner is made of. The only difference between a plastic jug labelled "mineral spirits" and one labelled "paint thinner", is that as soon as a company labels their product "paint thinner", it gives them the artistic freedom to put whatever they think might help thin paint in that product. Mineral spirits are recognized to be petroleum distillates, but there's no recognized standard as to what "Paint Thinner" is, and so paint thinner could contain anything from acetone to turpentine and still be sold as "paint thinner".

2. What is diluted solvent? Let's say I determine that mineral spirits will in fact remove the cooking oil film from my varnished wooden kitchen cupboards. What would I use to dilute the mineral spirits? Ditto for naptha. If I found that naptha worked well to remove the dirt from my Steinway grand piano, what would I add to the naptha to dilute it? Anything other than naptha would be a different chemical than naptha, and the diluent might harm the finish on my Steinway. You can't dilute a solvent like mineral spirits with water cuz the two don't mix.

1  
Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 11:05 pm
@nestork,
Good points on diluting the solvents, since solvents are often used to dilute other compounds. That slipped right by me.

Karlpt

-1  
Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 12:09 pm
@kethlin,
Yes these are god factors and welcome. You know where to buy good home furniture. Actually i need it for my new house.

home2decorate

-2  
Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 11:55 pm
@AndrewJayden,
Hello to all, I am really very glad to read this ideas for furniture maintenance. I am very busy person who have no time to decorate and maintain his home so I take the help of home decorator for maintenance but from these ideas I can make my home much better than now and most important it is not much time consumable.

MichaelWilson

-1  
Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 07:57 pm
@kethlin,
Hello to one and all,

Furniture manufacturers today use a variety of materials and specialized finishes on indoor and outdoor furniture designed to protect the furniture during regular use. The maintenance of furniture is very necessary for good and clean look.

* Any coating applied on wood is only as durable as the wood itself. As a natural product, wood will always need more care than some man-made surfaces, such as laminates.

* It must be borne in mind that even the best lacquer, correctly applied, remains a thin coat of protective material and may eventually break down. The life of the coating is beyond the control of the manufacturer and cannot be guaranteed.

* Silicone polishes, such as wax polish or those delivered by spray cans, must not be used as these create a film on the lacquer which discolours when hot or damp implements are placed on it.

Thanks and Regards,
Michael Wilson

goodsgardensheds

-2  
Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 12:46 am
Hello everyone,
Good wishes to all

Any coating applied on wood is only as durable as the wood itself. As a natural product, wood will always need more care than some man made surfaces, such as laminates.
It must be borne in mind that even the best lacquer, correctly applied, remains a thin coat of protective material and may eventually break down. The life of the coating is beyond the control of the manufacturer and cannot be guaranteed.
Silicone polishes, such as wax polish or those delivered by spray cans, must not be used as these create a film on the lacquer which discolours when hot or damp implements are placed on it.
The following basic instructions may help you and your customers prolong the life of our products.

Best Regards
Dabney Walker

fmch1960

-1  
Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:50 am
@AndrewJayden,
If you apply these kinds of methods for increasing traffic on your own webpage, I am sure you will notice the change in few days.

Jiakul

0  
Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 06:28 am
@kethlin,
Plenty of Teenager furniture available in online shops but problem is that I can not see it in real position so I am just thinking that if i could find old furniture instead of new. Is that possible ?

John marrison

-1  
Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:42 pm
@kethlin,
Hello Community,

Furniture is an integral part of any setup, whether home or office. Whether it is opulent, purely functional, space-saving or traditional, it requires maintenance. Wood furniture such as wooden chairs and wooden wall decor must be dusted regularly, several times a week to maintain a surface free of debris and to help avoid soil build up. Dust the furniture using a clean, dry and lint-free cloth. For general cleaning, wash the furniture surface with mild soap and water. Rinse with water and dry with a clean cloth thoroughly afterwards. Proper maintenance of modern furniture made of aluminum, metal or steel like a large metal wall art can be done through regular dusting and occasional wiping with soft, damp cloth. For tougher dirt, wash with hot and soapy water. Rinse and then dry with a soft cloth afterwards. There are specific leather conditioners that should be used for cleaning and keeping the shine of the material. If there are no available instructions, clean dirty leather by wiping a damp cloth and then with a dry cloth. Once every six months, you can wash it with a mild detergent to remove soil buildup. It is not necessary to wax marble especially white ones because wax can cause for a yellowish tone to develop.

Best Regards,
John Marrison

MatinJohn

-1  
Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:11 am
@kethlin,
Hello Community,

The most basic guideline for furniture maintenance is very simple and straightforward. It is to handle furniture carefully and thoughtfully. There are a few suggestions that can be made for cleaning furniture made of different surfaces. As it has been found, that a number of the cleaning practices followed normally, actually damages the furniture. Here are a few tips to clean, polish and maintain your furniture:

1. The simplest way of maintaining furniture is to use it carefully and keep it clean.
2. Wooden furniture should be cleaned only when there is a build up of wax or dirt.
3. Unfinished wood, painted wood and wood with sturdy finish should be cleaned regularly.
4. The finish on gilt wood is water soluble therefore it should be dusted and not cleaned. A professional should clean it.
5. Before cleaning wood, decide whether the surface is stable enough to use a cleaning or polishing agent. As the cleaning agent can damage some surfaces. If the surface is damage to begin with then give the furniture to a conservator.
6. Find out what kind of dirt has settled on the furniture and what kind of surface the piece has. The simplest thing to do is to find out what will remove the dirt without damaging the surface.

Best Regards,
Matin John

vincentverges

0  
Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:59 am
@AndrewJayden,
One of the easy way to maintain the furniture is regularly or once in a while use vacuum cleaner to remove the trapped in materials and use cleansers on surface to clean the dust particles and polish with oil the wooden furniture.

arturoi

0  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:23 am
@kethlin,
Very good post. It will be helpful to protect all types of furniture. Thanks for sharing this.

jannereeves

-2  
Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 02:38 am
@kethlin,
Nice share, got all the tips require to maintain my furniture..

alexis1

-2  
Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 08:33 pm
Nice tips on maintenance of furniture. Thanks for sharing. Cleaning regularly is the best and easiest way to increase the life of the furniture. You can dust regularly with a dry cloth and twice a wekk with a damp then dry cloth. You should use a lint-free cloth to polish your furniture on a regular basis. Use just a little furniture polish on the cloth and rub the surface to get a beautiful shine.