Germany rejects Sunday shopping

urs53

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:48 am
Ziggiezugg, I agree with you. Just let the shop owners decide when to open and when to close.

It's not like the shops HAVE to be open on Sunday just because the law allows them to be open. It seems like a lot of Germans think it will be mandatory. We are strange...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:02 am
urs53 wrote:
It seems like a lot of Germans think it will be mandatory.

Never heard of that before.

But: I live in a place, where shops legally could open on Sundays (touristic places, spas etc).

They started doing so last year - now, just a few open on the one or the other Sunday: not enough customers.
0 Replies

ziggiezugg

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:06 am
Slowly but surely, Americanism (sounds better than Capitalism) will take hold and Germany will become the International Powerhouse it should be. (Sarcasm)

Sorry couldn't resist it. I truly think that Germany should change, but with all countries, it's hard to get the old folks to change. Old folk = old people that run the country. They all tend to be pretty old and set in their ways.

But we humans tend to learn the hard way and only when Germany starts running a 10% budget deficit because of their Social system will they really make changes that actually do something.

Especially in East Germany where you see people in their 20s begging for Beer money (and people actually give it to them) to supplement the few hundred Euros they get from the government. You get unemployment for two years here!! and they still scratch their wondering why unemployment still keeps going up.

Sorry, this probably should have been posted somewhere else.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:06 am
Walter, from all the discussions around this, that's what I feel - they think they HAVE to open the shops.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:48 am
I think this is a case of two ways of thinking colliding with each other: the one which says Sunday is a resting day (according to some, given by God); the other which says opening shops on Sunday is required to meet the wishes of the general public, and to boost the economy.

BTW: welcome to A2K ziggiezugg! Good posts!
0 Replies