Germany rejects Sunday shopping

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:21 am
Hmmm sounds reasonable.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
I'm sorry, but banning shops from opening on ANY day is just wrong. If you want to be open on Sunday, please do. If you don't, fine. But BANNING anything on any day is just wrong. It hurts the majority who work M-F and have little time to shop other than the weekend.

In some states here in the U.S., even hunting is not allowed on Sunday. So the working stiff who puts in his 40+ hours during the week only gets Saturday to try to bag his game. Say what you will, but hunting isn't easy. It's almost impossible to be successful with just one day to hunt.

BTW, yesterday (Sunday) I went out and put a new tire on my car, and bought a new pair of shoes, pumping a good $200 into the local economy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:26 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You mean exactly what in special, osso?

Ehem, and welcome to A2K, sos!

I didn't mean to be enigmatic. Sos had asked why his or her link was removed by a moderator. It is all explained in the Terms of Use. By the time I posted, Sos's question was several posts back.
0 Replies

uncledon

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:37 pm
Germany rejects Sunday shopping
Back in 1894 a court here in Sydney, Australia, ordered a bricklayer to be put in the "Stocks" for two hours, for working on Sunday. Fortunately no stocks could be found.

In the early 1900's Australia got its own Constitution and mainly because of these rediculous Sunday Blue Laws, Section 116 was put in the Constitution guaranteeing separation of Church and State. That put a bit of a brake on Sunday Laws.

Incidently Constantine, the Roman Emperor in AD. 321 made the 1st recorded Sunday Blue Law in honour of 'the venerable day of the sun'.

Of course the Roman Catholic Church push for Sunday rest laws as she claims Sunday observance as a mark of her authority. Some say Sunday observance is the prophetic Mark of the Beast - see Revelation 13:17. The Bible rest day is The 7th day (Saturday) Uncledon.
0 Replies

FlowerSongbird06

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'm sorry, but banning shops from opening on ANY day is just wrong. If you want to be open on Sunday, please do. If you don't, fine. But BANNING anything on any day is just wrong. It hurts the majority who work M-F and have little time to shop other than the weekend.

In some states here in the U.S., even hunting is not allowed on Sunday. So the working stiff who puts in his 40+ hours during the week only gets Saturday to try to bag his game. Say what you will, but hunting isn't easy. It's almost impossible to be successful with just one day to hunt.

BTW, yesterday (Sunday) I went out and put a new tire on my car, and bought a new pair of shoes, pumping a good $200 into the local economy.

Those same services/products would have been available today (Monday), and that would have still pumped the same $200 into the local economy, while giving the service people and retail employees a much-needed day off.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:01 pm
FlowerSongbird06 wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Those same services/products would have been available today (Monday), and that would have still pumped the same $200 into the local economy, while giving the service people and retail employees a much-needed day off.
[/b]
I feel real sick and tired of all those jerks who don't manage to go thorugh at least the last three responses to a certain subject.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:39 pm
cjhsa, you and I agree here (is this a first? probably not, we often agree about food and I don't often argue with folks who are adamant about other stuff, myself being one of them)

flowersong, you mean you are required to work more than five days or 40 hours? Schedules can be arranged. If an employer is too pennywise to do that, that is not the fault of being open on Sunday, but the fault of putting forth reasonable schedules for employees, two different questions, since being open on sunday should open up new revenue.

Uh, I guess I should add that I spent every weekend past the day I turned sixteen working both Saturday and Sunday, through junior and senior years in high school and all of college, while also working three evenings a week. I am not unsympathetic to workers. Just not sure quite how it applies, re the exact day.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:03 am
FlowerSongbird06 wrote:

yeah he could do that. so? he wanted to go Sunday and since shops were open I don't see any issue in it. As Ossobuco said, please read more then last three posts, because with all due respect your post does not answer any of main issues here.
I am European so I can't say for sure, but as much as I can I am pretty sure that there is no law in USA that is FORCING shop owners to be open on Sunday.
Now, FORCING that would be ridiculous. As well as BANNING.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:10 am
Right, MOU, I don't know of any law in US forcing anyone open on Sundays. Forcing closed, maybe, I don't follow that so closely, but as has been discussed I gather there were city ordinances that had places be closed then. and for all I know maybe some of those laws are still in place in certain areas.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:18 am
That's what I thought. So, I am really wondering then why people that are against working on Sunday are talking/posting like there is actually some kind of law that forces people to work on Sunday? Smile

Employees having a right to have day off is another issue, of course, as well as possible consideration of religious practice in that matter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:24 am
Which I agree with.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:39 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
That's what I thought. So, I am really wondering then why people that are against working on Sunday are talking/posting like there is actually some kind of law that forces people to work on Sunday? Smile

Employees having a right to have day off is another issue, of course, as well as possible consideration of religious practice in that matter.

Well, we here in Germany (and most European countries) have to have two days of per week :wink:
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:48 am
As well as half of friday hey Walter? :wink:

Freitag nach eins, macht jeder Seins. Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:55 am
Ehem ... Laughing

Well, seems that will change soon ... or is, indedd, in "the progress of changing": we are going in all parts towards a 38, 39 and 40 hours/week back again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:55 am
Well, here abouts, we have galleries that tend to be open Wed-Sat, and restaurants which are often open Tues thru Sunday evenings, and the Museum, I think, Thurs thru Sunday, and many businesses, Monday thru Friday, and some others all days. People stay open when they want to and can afford to hire help to, although I suppose some do stay closed for religious reasons, many only stay closed for economic reasons or just plain wanting to rest.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 03:14 am
mostly it's same in Croatia as well Walter Wink I was just talking from perspective of those (wherever in the world) that are not in that situation - everyone should have one day off. But, no government should be allowed to decide what day exactly that should be
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:03 am
Thanks to those who took the time to actually read my post and understand it.

The fact is, I had a flat tire which I noticed Sunday morning, a screw in the sidewall. If I hadn't been able to replace the tire that day, I would have been forced to miss a day of work to take care of it on Monday. Taking days off unexpectedly isn't appreciated by most employers I know of.
0 Replies

FlowerSongbird06

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:43 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ehem ... Laughing

Well, seems that will change soon ... or is, indedd, in "the progress of changing": we are going in all parts towards a 38, 39 and 40 hours/week back again.

That's better than the 48 to 60 hour work weeks that are common in North America, also I heard some countries in Europe were going back to 35 hour weeks
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
FlowerSongbird06 wrote:
..., also I heard some countries in Europe were going back to 35 hour weeks

From 32 hours, yes :wink:
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 02:06 pm
in Croatia average working week is 40 hours.
It differs with people working in shops - their variate from 35 hours in butiques and such shops, to 48 in malls
0 Replies