Germany rejects Sunday shopping

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:07 pm
Well, well.

I have been to a couple of European countries recently - Austria, UK, Belgium, France.

In Belgium, e.g. you can't get petrol -besides on the motorways- after 20:00h. And motorway restaurants close at 21:30h.

In medium seized French towns, shops close at noontime for three hours .... and in the evening at 18:00h (no opening on Sundays).

In Germany, even in the smallest places you'll find supermarkets open from 07:00h until 20:00h from Monday to Friday/Saturday- try to find the same elsewhere in Europe.

I agree, only in touristic places and spa ressorts shops are legally open Sundays (like in my small village).
However: customers (= the aborigines here) obviously don't want long opening hours: even in big cities, shops close now earlier than the allowed 20:00, and much ealier on Saturdays due to lack of customers.

----

At least, four members of the Federal Constitutional Court are no Christians.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:09 pm
Well sos, just in case you're gonna come back and all this is not just some stupid (sorry) ad for your webpage:
1. Kids drinking, getting in trouble, having sex (oh my god) etc. aren't a prob of not enough time spent with the kids. My sisters and I grew up almost totally on our owns and we turnt out just fine...but I don't know why I'm telling you this. That very same argument is just the crap that all you conservatives bring up when it comes to misled kids. Now just in case you didn't hear this scientific explanation at least a thousand times before: It's all about quality, quantity is totally off the matter.
2. As you surely DID read when you went through the posts preceding your ad: Most of us agreed to at least another day off for retail workers - as lil candy for having to work on sunday.

Now excuse me, while I'm off for my hourly prayer...I love you Mr. God.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:11 pm
Re: Germany rejects Sunday shopping
thehamster wrote:

Well boys and girls, an all-Christian society with ancient and obsolete world views.

That's not correct:

this is the price you pay when living in a country with a basic law like Germany. (One of the six principle duties of that said court is verifying the compatibility of [federal or state] laws and regulations with the Constitution [Basic Law], see Article 93 I of the Constitution/Basic Law [Grundgesetz]:
Quote:
(1) The Federal Constitutional Court shall rule:

1. on the interpretation of this Basic Law in the event of disputes concerning the extent of the rights and duties of a supreme federal body or of other parties vested with rights of their own by this Basic Law or by the rules of procedure of a supreme federal body;

2. in the event of disagreements or doubts respecting the formal or substantive compatibility of federal law or Land law with this Basic Law, or the compatibility of Land law with other federal law, on application of the Federal Government, of a Land government, or of one third of the Members of the Bundestag;

2a. in the event of disagreements whether a law meets the requirements of paragraph (2) of Article 72, on application of the Bundesrat or of the government or legislature of a Land;

3. in the event of disagreements respecting the rights and duties of the Federation and the Länder, especially in the execution of federal law by the Länder and in the exercise of federal oversight;

4. on other disputes involving public law between the Federation and the Länder, between different Länder, or within a Land, unless there is recourse to another court;

4a. on constitutional complaints, which may be filed by any person alleging that one of his basic rights or one of his rights under paragraph (4) of Article 20 or under Article 33, 38, 101, 103, or 104 has been infringed by public authority;

4b. on constitutional complaints filed by municipalities or associations of municipalities on the ground that their right to self-government under Article 28 has been infringed by a law; in the case of infringement by a Land law, however, only if the law cannot be challenged in the constitutional court of the Land;

5. in the other instances provided for in this Basic Law.

(2) The Federal Constitutional Court shall also rule on such other matters as may be assigned to it by a federal law.
0 Replies

FlowerSongbird06

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:21 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I kinda wish we hadn't gone to having Sunday shopping. I wish there was still one day a week where you could say, sorry, I can't, store's closed.

To be honest, I agree with you.

You should talk to your local candidates in your riding and see where they stand and whether they could bring back the Sunday shopping ban...with the help of unions, churches, small businesses, etc.

You should also directly contact sos to get the link (as it was removed).

The only things that need to be running on Sundays are essential operations such as hospitals, communications, police, fire, hydro, public transit, etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:25 pm
Just to add:

If you really run out of fresh milk on Sunday, it isn't bad luck at all: you just have to go to a gas station, the train station or airport where fresh goods are be sold on Sundays as well :wink:
0 Replies

FlowerSongbird06

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:28 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Just to add:

If you really run out of fresh milk on Sunday, it isn't bad luck at all: you just have to go to a gas station, the train station or airport where fresh goods are be sold on Sundays as well :wink:

Those are the only scenarios where a business should legally be able to operate on Sunday...as train stations, bus stations, airports and major highways (such as Highway 401 here) often operate 24 hours 7 days a week. If only there were more trains running here (in Canada)...and there was better suburban/rural train service...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:35 pm
Well, here -in Germany- shopkeeprs in stations and gas staions in small villages only survive by these businesses (and thus, they fully agreed to this ruling Laughing ).

Welcome to A2K, btw, FlowerSongbird06!
0 Replies

FlowerSongbird06

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:40 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, here -in Germany- shopkeeprs in stations and gas staions in small villages only survive by these businesses (and thus, they fully agreed to this ruling Laughing ).

Welcome to A2K, btw, FlowerSongbird06!

Thanks! I was invited in a link on sos's board (contact him for the link)...we've been trying to make it an issue in the federal election here (on June 28th) - so far it has only had slight mentions on campaigns, although 3 of the 5 largest parties have made references.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:56 pm
I have always liked being able to shop on Sunday and was pleased when some stores opened on Sunday in my city, Los Angeles some decades ago. Even in that large city though, many stores are closed on Sunday.

In the small city that I live in since I moved from Los Angeles, most stores are closed on Sunday. Possibly some of that is for religious reasons, but I think it is more likely that it is hard for a small business to have the staff to provide customer service then, and keep open five or six other days as well.

I have a very small business - there are just two of us running both a design business and an art gallery, and we simply cannot afford to hire people to keep the gallery open on Sunday. We probably have missed sales because of this, but we ourselves very much need our two days off; we work
Tues-Saturday.

I can see that in some locations it makes sense to vary peoples' hours and days of employment, if only for traffic conditions.

On another note, I have to disagree the US is a christian country.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:43 pm
owi wrote june 10 : "For example doctors cannot say: "Sorry, it's Sunday I can't revitalise you today, come back tomorrow" . well, in ontario (and probably the whole of canada) you'll be asked to go to a walk-in clinic(sort of mini-emergency department) or to the hospital emergency department if you require a doctor outside of a 8 am to 5 pm timeslot - and forget wednesday afternoon, that's when the doctors meet for golf. in the emergency departments you usually face long waits. our practice has been for some time to phone on thursday afternoon or friday morning for an appointment, if we think something might be cropping up over the weekend (we don't do it often, but have done it a few times). now our dentist is a differrent fellow, he has given us his private/home phone number and asked to phone any time in an emergency (luckily haven't had to take him up on the offer - but it's good to know his number). hbg
0 Replies

sos

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:06 pm
Re: Glad Germany said No to Sunday shopping
sos wrote:
Edit: Moderator: Link Removed - Do Not Promote Your Website on our Forums

Now that to me is not promoting freedom and choice.. shouldn't people decide whether or not if they want to visit our site????
0 Replies

sos

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:10 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, well.

I have been to a couple of European countries recently - Austria, UK, Belgium, France.

In Belgium, e.g. you can't get petrol -besides on the motorways- after 20:00h. And motorway restaurants close at 21:30h.

In medium seized French towns, shops close at noontime for three hours .... and in the evening at 18:00h (no opening on Sundays).

In Germany, even in the smallest places you'll find supermarkets open from 07:00h until 20:00h from Monday to Friday/Saturday- try to find the same elsewhere in Europe.

I agree, only in touristic places and spa ressorts shops are legally open Sundays (like in my small village).
However: customers (= the aborigines here) obviously don't want long opening hours: even in big cities, shops close now earlier than the allowed 20:00, and much ealier on Saturdays due to lack of customers.

----

At least, four members of the Federal Constitutional Court are no Christians.

I'm glad Germany said no to Sunday shopping . Just because all of the USA went Sunday shopping does not mean the world has to jump over a bridge. Feel free to contact me walter.
0 Replies

sos

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:18 pm
thehamster wrote:
Well sos, just in case you're gonna come back and all this is not just some stupid (sorry) ad for your webpage:
1. Kids drinking, getting in trouble, having sex (oh my god) etc. aren't a prob of not enough time spent with the kids. My sisters and I grew up almost totally on our owns and we turnt out just fine...but I don't know why I'm telling you this. That very same argument is just the crap that all you conservatives bring up when it comes to misled kids. Now just in case you didn't hear this scientific explanation at least a thousand times before: It's all about quality, quantity is totally off the matter.
2. As you surely DID read when you went through the posts preceding your ad: Most of us agreed to at least another day off for retail workers - as lil candy for having to work on sunday.

Now excuse me, while I'm off for my hourly prayer...I love you Mr. God.

If you would have taken some time to visit our site you would see a GPI Study done about the stress and health related problems due to a 24/7 society. You may call it crap but why is it ok for the gov to be off on Sunday ,dentist offices, teachers.,students.. You said retail workers could have another day off wow how noble of you. You expect us to give up our Sundays why don't the other people that work Monday to Friday woik on Sunday and take friday off?? I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot this crap would not be happening. In case you haven't noticed kids are in more trouble than they were years ago,families are STRESSED out. People do not care my friend and i see you are one of those people. No thanks Sunday as a day off is fine with me, Let us decide when your'e day off is ok? How would that grab you?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:23 pm
Sos, it might be a good thing if you read the terms of use you agreed to when you signed into A2K. Check the small blue letters Terms of Use listed at the bottom of each of these pages.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:59 pm
You mean exactly what in special, osso?

Ehem, and welcome to A2K, sos!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:10 am
sos I think you are mixing things together and not quite understand what is issue here.
Nobody can FORCE anyone to work 7 days a week. But, also, nobody can FORBID someone to work on Sunday if he or she WANTS to work on Sunday.
If you don't want to work on Sunday it's your choice and this choice must be respected.
But, if I want to work on Sunday that's also my choice.

And, breaking news - 10 commandments does not apply in this case because NOT EVERYONE in this world is Christian. And, in most or all of civilized countries Church and State are separated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:18 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
But, also, nobody can FORBID someone to work on Sunday if he or she WANTS to work on Sunday.

Well, MyOwnUsername, you might be correct for all countries but beside Germany (and a few others, I believe):

the "Arbeitszeitgesetz (ArbZG)" [= Labour Time Law] of 1994 (then combining some 20 older laws and regulations going back to 1882) regulates exactly that in Germany: no regular work on Sunday, until otherwise legalised.

(Would have been indeed very peculiar, if the Federal Constitutional Court had ruled off the top of one's head :wink: )
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:23 am
Sos, you're just yet another religion drived wanna-be important guy who has nothing important to tell.
I know this sounds troubling and quite not understandable for you, but times have changed. People may decide when they wanna work. We (western countries) aren't the all-Christian society we used to be.
You're talking about having to give up our "Sundays"? What about the Jews? They give a freakin damn about Sunday cuz their day off is Saturday (as I hope I got it right this time).
See my little misled sheep, you should open your eyes to what the real world is like out there.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:36 am
What is the problem with closing shops on Sunday? It's a day you can cool down, relax, escape for one day a week from the exhausting society we live in. Why do y'all start about "the Ten Commandments" and that sort of? Just one day a week in which society can relax - what's wrong with that?

PS: I did not read all your posts, this is just a comment on the issue.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:51 am
Walter - error on phone lines Wink I know that, I thought that nobody "SHOULD" forbid work on Sunday to someone that wants to work. So, it's just that "can" was wrong word Smile

Rick - I don't have problems with closing shops on Sunday, just as I said - I don't think anyone should force people to work on Sunday. I just think that in free society it has to be free choice. Meaning - if someone WANTS to work I think no government should forbid their right to work on Sunday. I said that before in one post - why owner of small shop that lives from money earned in that shop (and in most cases, at least in Croatia, it's not big money, barely enough for decent living) shouldn't work on Sunday if he wants? And as for big malls and stuff, it should be also legally sanctioned that every worker has to have day off during week (with possible addition that allow really religious people to choose that day, so that Christians don't work on Sunday, Jews on Saturday, etc...but, very few people are really that religious when it doesn't come to not working - I wonder if those that are strongly agains Sunday work because of religion only rest on Sunday or they wash their car for example).
0 Replies