Germany rejects Sunday shopping

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:01 am
Germany rejects Sunday shopping

Yes boys and girls there you go with another hilarious German ruling.
I mean sure you Americans, Canadians, Brits, and whoever are gonna have a real laugh on that one, but for Germans it's still not allowed to open their shops on Sundays and public holidays!
You ask why?
Because Germany is the oldest-fashioned country on earth. We still think that Sunday is THE day to get some relaxation. Sure it's just the day because the Bible told us so and the Jews have their day off on Friday (?) but we freakin cool Germans still stand up and say: "God wants us to rest on Sundays".
Well boys and girls, this is the price you pay when living in an all-Christian society with ancient and obsolete world views.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,879 • Replies: 104
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:11 am
wow, that really surprised me - even Croatia with high Catholic Church influence on politicians managed to avoid that. Actually, it was kinda funny. Church was forcing that law, like, forever, and although by Constituion Church is strongly separated from State politicians, especially those from right wing, are under influence. However, willfully or accidently, they left nice hole in the law about it - local governments in touristic zones were allowed to make local law that allows working on Sundays.
So, that became ridicoulous. Every place in Croatia proclaimed itself as touristic zone - it can be small polluted industrial zone, village with 3 inhabitants without road leading to it, or any town or city you can think of - soon enough: bye bye law. Church officials are pissed off, but, well...maybe they should move to Germany.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:50 am
In my area there's still a lot of places that are not open on Sundays either.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:53 am
Toronto held out on Sunday shopping for a loooonnngg time, but finally allowed it. This does seem a bit silly and backwards to me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:57 am
There has been huge debates about it here as well for the fast few years. Things are growing very fast , so I think it's just a matter of time. A lot of store owns argue that they'ed lose money if the opened on Sunday.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
You are going to die of laughter on this one: currently, Sundays are open for shops in Slovenia. It has been like this since 1990.

However, last year a referendum(!) was held in Slovenia for this decision, where Slovenians REJECTED THAT SHOPS BE OPEN ON SUNDAYS!!!!!

I couldn't beleive this at the time, but now the biggest shop companies are moving a constitutional judgement of this decision, in hope that it is against constitution.

I don't know why such result, but probably because people who want to shop Sundays have little time on their hands, and little time to go voting on referendum(!). So probably the only people who voted in the first place are those who can go shopping anytime - retired people etc.

see
http://www.gzs.si/eng/news/sbw/head.asp?idc=15346

Relative
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:31 am
Correction
The Jews celebrate Saturday as the Sabbath day and for the Moslems it is Friday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:37 am
I kinda wish we hadn't gone to having Sunday shopping. I wish there was still one day a week where you could say, sorry, I can't, store's closed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:48 am
ehBeth wrote:
I kinda wish we hadn't gone to having Sunday shopping. I wish there was still one day a week where you could say, sorry, I can't, store's closed.

It's a choice for the shopkeepers. I know plenty of stores that don't open on Sunday, or keep short hours. Now what I really have a problem with, and it's only slightly off topic, is the plan to build a Loblaws superstore in Kensington Market.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:25 pm
Germans also get 8 months of vacation time to do their shopping...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:35 pm
I know many Germans who have relocated to the States in the past 10 years that would never go back except to visit.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:04 pm
I agree with Cav - it has to be left as a free choice. If someone wants to work on Sundays let him work. And if someone doesn't want - well, who can force him to open his shop? He doesn't have to open shop on Wednesday if that suits him.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:16 pm
I remember an episode of the UK series "Chef", with Lenny Henry, where he jokes about a customer asking for skate wings in black butter on a Monday. Insiders know that fish is always delivered on Tuesday. Monday fish is the weekends leftovers. Ewww... Close shop when you need to, and open if you want on Sundays. I think that's fair.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
There is no concept of fish being delivered on Tuesdays anymore in the states. We are 24x7x365. No wonder everyone wants to live here.

There are still small family owned shops that close one day a week, usually Sunday or Monday, depending upon religious persuasion, but that's about it. Unless you're talking about skate shops, then it's like "We're open whenever the f--- we feel like it".
0 Replies

owi

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:27 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
I agree with Cav - it has to be left as a free choice. If someone wants to work on Sundays let him work. And if someone doesn't want - well, who can force him to open his shop? He doesn't have to open shop on Wednesday if that suits him.

You are speaking of free choice...free choice for whom? The employee, who gets fired or even doesn't get the job if (s)he does not "want to work on Sunday"? A really outstanding choice... Confused

I personally think it's a very wise decision not to open shops on sunday. Why? For me it's important to have one day in the week, where the whole family has the possibility to spend some time together.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
There is no concept of fish being delivered on Tuesdays anymore in the states. We are 24x7x365. No wonder everyone wants to live here.

There are still small family owned shops that close one day a week, usually Sunday or Monday, depending upon religious persuasion, but that's about it. Unless you're talking about skate shops, then it's like "We're open whenever the f--- we feel like it".

How much of that fish is frozen at sea?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:32 pm
owi - that's what syndicates are for. Law shouldn't order someone to work or not to work on Sunday or any other day, but law can order employers to give one free day in week to employees. What day it will be is something different - there are numerous services, offices and emergencies that work on Sundays - they also have families.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:39 pm
just for the record - I have nothing against USA and would like to visit it, as well as every other country in the world, but I don't want to "live there" so, cjhsa, you can count me out of other six billion people that according to you want to "live there"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:49 pm
MOU, good, we don't need everyone here.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
that's fine, but in that case you should all go back as well and we don't need you either Smile
I mean, you should all go back, except Native Americans - you are all immigrants Wink
0 Replies