how to come out to my family

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 08:57 pm
So here is my problem ive always known I was gay and ive always been able to keep it a secret from my friends and family because it was always just sex to me never thought about a relationship until I met my bf we hit it off and im in love with him no one knows about him in my family but I want to start my life with the man of my dreams but my family is very set in there ways and im very close to my family and im afraid if I come out im gonna loose my family please give me some advicev I dont want to loose my family or my soulmate
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,014 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 09:11 pm
@jeffandjaredforever,
Hi and welcome to A2K.

I'm mainly bumping your topic (I'm a str8 woman, m'self, so I don't have your experiences), but I would also suggest considering the individuals in your family. I'm sure there's no reason to come out to everyone at once. So thinking of it instead that way, as a multi-step process, maybe start small, with someone who you believe is most likely to be sympathetic. Let's say that's your sister (I don't even know if you have a sister, but stay with me, okay?). Maybe the best approach is - I met somebody special. I'm really happy, and I'm in love. And then she'll inevitably ask you what that person's name is, and you tell her. And you enlist her help (assuming she's sympathetic) in telling others, and continually widen the circle of people who know.

But I will ask some of the guys to stop by as they know better than I do.

And yay that you're happy and in love. So many people aren't. Be happy. Smile
engineer

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 09:19 pm
@jespah,
I think this advice is pretty spot on. You know your family better than I do, but most outside of the shock of it, they are still going to love you as much as they do now and I hope that is a lot.
0 Replies