FOOD NAZI'S SUFFER STUNNING DEFEAT!

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 04:58 pm
JoeNation, did you read my link?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 05:10 pm
Using the phrase Food Nazi's (sic) to describe people showing compassion, is really quite disgusting, and quite hysterical.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 05:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Did you see my link?

I've spent decades - probably as long as some posters here are alive - thinking all foie gras is bad.
I'm not so sure of that now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 05:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Hawkee has never been accused of choosing his phrases carefully.
Using the possessive is something that everyone around here who has a veggie stand does

FESH GARDEN VEGGIE'S FOR SALE

STRAWBERRIE'S

WANTED :OLD CHRISTMAS CARD'S
Its pretty much an Amish thing, since their possessives only use N
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 05:57 pm
One more time:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

Like ehBeth, I take a lot of places not following this as being awful, or worse than awful, hyenic, hyenic multiplied.

Read the goddamned link, please.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 02:32 am
@ossobuco,
Yes, seems a bit too eager to say all is well, I'd rather read a piece by a journo who's not quite so supine.
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I think it has been established conclusively that ALL animals feel pain.

This isn't actually correct, Frank. Sponges for instance are animals yet do not have ANY nerve cells or sensory system whatsoever. Jellyfish have no brains and only a very small and rudimentary collection of nerves coordinating swimming motions, gravity orientation, pulsing swimming motion, and rudimentary light sensing.
http://greenspanlab.ucsd.edu/documents/1-s2.0-S096098221300359X-main.pdf

Oysters have such simple nervous systems that even serious vegan authors who have taken the time to study them have concluded that there is nothing ethically wrong with vegans eating oysters.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2010/04/consider_the_oyster.html

There are many other examples as well, especially given that the majority of animals in the world are extremely simple one-celled creatures which by definition have no brains or nerve cells.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/agifs/Amoeba_bw.GIF
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
And force feeding is cruel and so is cage raising chickens and confining hogs.

Things are not nearly as simple as you'd like to think, Bobsal. As you can see in my profile, I've run an organic farm and learned first hand. While it's easy to IMAGINE that letting the chickens loose is the best thing for them just because YOU would like to run free doesn't make it so. When you actually raise chickens in an open pen, you find out that chickens are naturally ruthless (which is why they don't need to be trained for cockfighting). If you restrain a chicken for a minute in a pen, other chickens will come over and peck it to death. They will also peck and eat each other's eggs, so if you raise chickens this way, you literally have to stand in the henhouse to grab the eggs after they're laid; they'll be all gone an hour later. That is much of the reason why layers have been raised in cages; to protect the birds and the eggs. If they can't turn around, they can't eat their own eggs. And even in wide open pens, laying hens will seek out small cage-like spaces in which to lay their eggs and the best of them (brood hens) will voluntarily spend much of their time in them.
http://www.commonweeder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/henhouse-sheila.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:33 am
@ossobuco,
yes.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

Joe(still digesting)Nation
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 08:16 am
@Banana Breath,
That is one of the problems with using the word "all" in posts.

I was wrong to say "I think it has been established conclusively that ALL animals feel pain."

There may well be some that do not.

I apologize.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:30 am
@Joe Nation,
Interesting article, but I've been there in the real world and actually seen it done the traditional way.

Guantanamo is probably one of the most sterile and clean force feeding stations that I can think of, but I would definitely choose to eat my fill naturally.
However much they dress up the pig, it's still a pig.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
If it wasn't cruel we wouldn't have banned its production.
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:13 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
If it wasn't cruel we wouldn't have banned its production.

That logic only works in the case of a perfectly informed and completely rational voting body, however no such voting body exists, so people vote based largely on misinformation, half truths, and memories of watching "Bambi" as children.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:28 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Have you ever watched geese getting force fed?

Don't have to, I wouldn't touch this stuff for love nor money. The Bible gives us permission to kill other animals for food, it does not give permission to torture them for no rational reason.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:34 am
@Banana Breath,
Quote:
so people vote based largely on misinformation, half truths, and memories of watching "Bambi" as children.
I think that my customrs are savvy and sophisticated enough to know what they want. They seek our farm out and although we don't (nor will we ever) seek out an "organic Farm" registry, we do advertise that our lambs are pasture fed and finished on an oats /molasses and pasture diet. (of course winter pasture means mixed hay). Feedings are free choice and lambs are encouraged to keep buff by moving them to distant pastures daily. Weve just finished all the Christmas rush and our next spike is spring restaurant fare.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:46 am
@izzythepush,
No, I don't think all is well with geese and ducks and foie gras, but I take it that a few places that raise them for foie gras aren't complete hell holes. Also, on the matter of what purveyors would be allowed to sell in California, I'd want a serious inspection system to make sure they were equal to or better than this non-traditional place in the article, and that would likely be problematic, and ..California has government financing worries as it is.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:51 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I'd rather read a piece by a journo who's not quite so supine.

ok - so find another article on the same farm
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:53 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Interesting article, but I've been there in the real world and actually seen it done the traditional way.

yes - the traditional European way is absolutely shitty
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:54 am
@izzythepush,
The smart thing to do would have been to find an alternative form of production.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:55 am
@Banana Breath,
We're a lot more rational over here. No Tea Party, no NRA, and no Fox News.