Can Even These Coattails Help Him?

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:14 am
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/06/09/campaigns_seize_on_reagans_legacy?mode=PF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,607 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
I'm sure the puppet masters behind Bush will exploit Reagan's death within the parameters of good taste. The trouble is taste as a lot to do with smell. I can already smell this one.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:05 am
The problem is this is done all the time. I disagree with Bush trying to use Reagan's name to help him get elected just as I disagreed with Clinton doing his best to associate himself with JFK during his election. I think they should leave the former occupants of the White House out of their campaigns and run on what they will attempt to do. And while they are at it, shut up about how terrible the other guy would be if elected and tell us what you will do to improve the country during the next four years.

But we all know that won't happen.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
on that I agree with you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:37 am
The Bush team has previously also tried to identify policy with JFK (the announcement of a manned trip to Mars, the tax cuts, etc). Clinton ran as a Jeffersonian Democrat which he is not. I think we all wish as voters that the campaign would remain mostly positive and that the mostly distorted "facts" about the opposing candidate which is mostly cheap rhetoric would be left out.

I also believe it won't happen. Politics used to always be somewhat dirty and if you go back to the campaigns of the great Presidents you'd find some of the same tactics. It's just dirty fighting that will descend too often into ignoble filth.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:38 pm
I fail to see how Reagan being a good president is going to help Bush get reelected. I suppose that Bush has no redeeming qualities therefore he will simply display someone else's redeeming qualities. "This was a great man! Now vote for me!" I don't get it. Maybe Keyy can use the images of FDR and JFK the same way.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:52 pm
Or Truman. The problem with both parties is their platforms show too many signs of rotting and they're prone to stepping on the timbers and falling right through.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:51 pm
I'm waiting for when they prop up the body in a chair and charge people to "Take a photo with Reagan! Only $49.95!"

Oh Lordy, I can't wait for this election year to end.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:56 pm
BUSH IS NO REAGAN
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:01 pm
Do you think Reagan is actually in the casket?
An empty casket has to be the perfect symbol of neocon duplicity.
So let them laud Reagan day and night for a month! Doing so has the unintended effect of making Bush look like a weasel in comparison.

I voted twice for Reagan, even though I'll never vote for a republican again so long as I live. Sure, I was young and stupid, but Reagan had Charisma, something Bush totally lacks. Reagan was believable from Day One, but Bush has been nothing but horror every time he opens his mouth.

Regardless of what you think about Reagan, he is a success story involving the American Dream. He had humble origins ( correct, yes? ) and he rose all the way up to the top.

Bush is a sissy daddy's boy that has been planted and bailed out over and over his entire life. He was planted in the oval office, but somehow I doubt he is going to get bailed out this time. And his current oil venture I am sure is going to go the way of all the other oil ventures this spoiled rich brat managed to screw up so far...

Too bad they aren't comparing Bush to McKinley...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:25 pm
Whether Reagan was in the casket or not is irrelevant as there was no one in Reagan when he died!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:30 pm
I just can't WAIT for the conspiracy theorists. (The same ones who believe that we have Osama Bin Laden in a jail somewhere and are just waiting for the election to loom closer before 'revealing him')

They should soon start spouting the line that either Reagan was killed or was already dead and the Republican's just waited to announce his death for maximum political gain.

I know I'm gonna see something like this on a website soon.

Evil Republican Plan for election victory

December 2003: Reveal that we captured Saddam Hussain (Even though the Kurds captured him months earlier) (Check)

March 2004: Introduce Diebold voting machines to ensure election results. (Check)

June 2004: Unthaw Reagan and announce death for maximum sympathy vote. (Check)

September 2004: Announce the capture of Osama bin Laden (Who we secretly have hidden in a jail in Iraq) (Pending)

October 2004: mysteriously locate a 'stockpile' of WMDs in Iraq that have been pre-positioned from stocks in Rocky Mountain Arsenal. (Pending)

November 2004: Win election (Or steal if we have too via machines) (Pending)

December 2004+ Domination of world by America begins. (Pending)

The sad part is, I've seen websites that seem to believe that something like this is happening/has happened. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:33 pm
That's brilliant! I wish I had thought of it now!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
When I find the member of the Shadow Cabal of Feeling and Kindness who leaked our knowledge of your plans to you Federal, I'll kill him!

Pretty funny though. Except your March 2004 point should be March 1999 instead. There certainly were enough inconsistencies that can't be explained LAST election to count that point a long time ago.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Pretty funny though. Except your March 2004 point should be March 1999 instead. There certainly were enough inconsistencies that can't be explained LAST election to count that point a long time ago.
Cycloptichorn

Ahh yes Cyc, but remember, the new voting machines were only recently introduced...

Keep in mind, there has to be proper timing in these things Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:51 pm
heh. My prediction:

The voting scandal is dead, long live the voting scandal!

It's gonna happen, and it's gonna be ugly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:20 pm
Fedral wrote:
The sad part is, I've seen websites that seem to believe that something like this is happening/has happened.

Yes, you have, especially if you've been frequenting Newsmax.com.

Here are some of their most recent headlines:

Reagan's Final Speech: Clinton Stole Our Ideas
France Boycotts the Funeral
Dr. Laura Joins NewsMax Magazine
It's OK for U.S. Muslims to Have Terrorist Manifestos
Union Protests Snag Democrat Convention
Deaniacs: Dump Bush, Then Dump 'Sack of Cement' Kerry
Democrats: Gore's Latest Rant Could Cost Kerry Florida
Adv. George Soros' Plot Against Bush <-- Advertisment
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
As opposed to these gems from CommonDreams.com?

NEW IRAQI LEADER HELPED CIA LAUNCH TERRORIST ATTACKS...
Right Wing Now Hijacking PBS by Moving to Control Content...
Reagan's Heart of Darkness...
No Praise for Reagan...
Reagan's Shameful Legacy: Mourn for Us, Not the Proto-Bush...
Bush Dances with the NRA Devil...
Let's Bury Reaganomics With Its Founder...
America's Ignorance is a Threat to Humanity...
Break Out the Bicycles: Oil is Running Out, But the West Would Rather Wage Wars than Consider Other Energy Sources...
Reagan's Legacy? Look at the Closed Minds and Hard Hearts of the Conservatives who Staff the Bush Administration...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:31 am
And then there's the truth but we won't go into that...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:49 am
truth?
0 Replies