Islamic Terrorists Strike France

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
No. France is predominantly a Catholic country, although they are not as far down that route as say Italy or Spain.

The brilliant thing about France though, is that their government and state buildings and institutions are totally secular. No hint of religion is allowed.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:09 pm
Quote:
In France, for example, 8 percent of younger people said they were certain that God exists, compared with 26 percent of the people 68 and older. - See more at: http://news.uchicago.edu/article/2012/04/18/belief-god-rises-age-even-atheist-nations#sthash.mhYcJKAh.dpuf

As people who have been following my hostility towards the American feminists know it is my belief that if you want to know what is going on with a country you look at what is happening with the young mostly. 8% firmly believing in God is very close to zero.

BTW the problem with the Muslims of France according to the French may well not be that they are Muslim, it may be that they believe strongly in a GOD, any GOD. Maybe this is what has them being seen as not fully French.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:13 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
So what is it a French Muslim or a Frenchman?
Well, there are French Jews, French Catholics, French Lutherans ... all these are French females and French males.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:18 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

No. France is predominantly a Catholic country, although they are not as far down that route as say Italy or Spain.

The brilliant thing about France though, is that their government and state buildings and institutions are totally secular. No hint of religion is allowed.
About 65% of the French are Catholic, 25% are 'agnostics', 4% Protestants, 6% Muslims.
giujohn

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:20 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
actually 13 were killed in Fort Hood and 32 suffered gunshot wounds, so it was actually much worse in terms of fatalities and injuries, but the shootings in Paris being perpetrated against mostly civilians is certainly the more horrendous

Yeah...at Ft. Hood they were just all volunteers in the military who at a moments notice will drop everything and lay down their life to safeguard your freedom...killing a civilian is a lot more horrendous Drunk
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
6% Muslims.
The estimates I am seeing run from 7-10% muslim.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:25 pm
@giujohn,
You are repeating the point made in the quoted piece from djjd.

So your point was?

Maybe sarcasm?

Maybe the drinking symbol was to warn us that you had had one too many?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
This apparent paradox is caused by the word “integration,” which has taken on a very particular connotation in French political discourse. The social scientific definition of “integration” refers to a dual process whereby immigrants embrace and become invested in their new home and are, in turn, accepted as equals by those who were there before them. In French political discourse, however, the term “integration”generally loses the reciprocal connotation. Here, a “failure of integration”refers lopsidedly to the inability of immigrants to assimilate into local customs and attitudes, consequently retaining markers of social difference that set them apart.

The central point Bleich and Maxwell make is that French Muslims identify with and participate in their nation. They are, according to the first sense of the social science definition, an integration success. Dionne stresses, however, that French Muslims remain “unintegrated” in the second sense: they are still socially and politically marginalized, suffering from discrimination in terms of employment, housing, and even treatment in school — all three of which I highlight extensively in my book

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/07/29/are-french-muslims-integrated-depends-on-what-you-mean-by-integration/

OK, let's say that is true.....is it because they believe in Allah or it is because they are religious in a way that the French collective sees as old fashioned and barbaric?? Lets remember that the French have been through so many centuries of religious war, and been the prime battle ground for two world wars in the last century, that this yearning to be done with religion has some reasonable rational motivation behind it. Too much war has a way of being traumatizing. Thing is, if they did not want a war with Islam (another war that is) then they should have considered not letting so many muslims into the country.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:30 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Actually, if memory serves, I have a feeling that djjd doesn't actually live in the USA (re. Laying their lives down comment).

Could be wrong.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 03:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Lets remember that the French have been through so many centuries of religious war,
Actually, it was a lot less than one century - les guerres de religion "French Wars of Religion" lasted from 1562 to 1598.
But it really quite a few wars: eight.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I dont want to get bogged down in the reasons for the French aversion to war, but do you agree that it exists and that it is connected to an aversion to religious fever ? That this might account to the hostility towards muslims in France, not any prejudice against those who follow Allah?

http://i60.tinypic.com/fjnkt2.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
I do think that most of us (continental) Europeans have an aversion towards wars.
I don't think that the memory of "religious fever" last over dozens of generations (we had quite a few more religious wars in Germany) - but I'm sure that e.g. in the UK and in Ireland such a feeling is a lot more present.

The French have the principle of laïcité, as present in the law on the Separation of the Churches and State.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:17 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
You are repeating the point made in the quoted piece from djjd.

So your point was?

Maybe sarcasm?

Maybe the drinking symbol was to warn us that you had had one too many?

Are you obtuse or attempting humor?
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:23 pm
@giujohn,
No, just wondering what your point was.

It looked like you were attempting to be needlesly nasty and it took me by surprise a bit, as I'd not ever had you on my radar before.
Doing a bit of looking around, it would appear that you have a penchant for picking an argument, and seem to be intimidated by Englishmen.

I have yet to find a constructive post from you, but as it is not really important in the great scheme of things, I shall just skim your future stuff and ignore it if it isn't adding anything worthwhile.

Different strokes, I suppose.
giujohn

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:39 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
and seem to be intimidated by Englishmen.

LOL ...Mad dogs and Englishmen? Maybe mad dogs but hardly Englishmen.

My point (for the severely obtuse) is that as a Veteran I find the use of the phrase, "more horrendous", despicable.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 04:43 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
My point (for the severely obtuse) is that as a Veteran I find the use of the phrase, "more horrendous", despicable.

I noted that as well, and have not seen either a retraction or a reasonable justification for the statement.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 06:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Well, there are French Jews, French Catholics, French Lutherans ... all these are French females and French males.

All of a sudden no Muslims? C'mon Wally be consistent. Nothing about Islams violent, supremacist ideology?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 06:59 pm
@Lordyaswas,
deej is not an American
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 07:08 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Actually, if memory serves, I have a feeling that djjd doesn't actually live in the USA (re. Laying their lives down comment).

Could be wrong.

djjd62 wrote
Quote:
i live in the shadow of the red wings (canadian side), as long as they go up in flames i'm happy

http://able2know.org/topic/132387-1#post-3651074
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 07:49 pm
http://www.barenakedislam.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/exercising-e1420880653796.gif
0 Replies