Sleepless in Seattle and the like

Monger

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:51 am
I've seen 'Men In Tights' by Mel Brooks (it's a spoof on Robin Hood) more times than any other movie. True classic material, I tell you!...as long as you're powerfully under the Alfluence of Incohol!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:35 am
Hebba: That's why I only watch these movies when I need a good cry Sad
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 08:52 pm
All these lists make me want to stock up on videos.

My favorites include2001 A Space Odyssey, My Fair Lady, the original Thomas Crown Affair, Young Frankenstein, like ehbeth, I enjoy spaghetti westerns (love Clint Eastwood's squint) and small films like Smoke Signals and The Cruise.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 04:32 am
Finally,another original Thomas Crown Affair fan.I thought I was alone out there.
I saw Kubricks Lolita again last night and it´s still fantastic.Mason and Sellers at their very best.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 03:27 pm
The Negotiator is on TBS tonight, will be watching for the umpteenth time.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 06:25 pm
I love that movie too, The Thomas Crown Affair, it is also one of my favorites. Thanks for mentioning it and refreshing my memory:)
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 08:14 pm
Just thought of another favorite of mine -- Close Encounters. There's just something about those cute little aliens at the end (which look remarkably like ET). Love that movie.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:51 am
All right Misti!!3 TCA fans and counting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:34 pm
It's the misti-eyed list -- it does follow the "Sleepless in Seattle" theme a bit more than "Jaws," but who can argue with listing such a biting drama.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 03:13 pm
got a few, some of them fairly recent, and many of which i don't even consider good movies. (similarly, there are some movies which i think are friggin' brilliant which i will probably never watch again -- go figure.)

wonder boys
the princess bride
office space
the african queen
the meaning of life
the life of brian
(NOT the holy grail)
beetlejuice
raiders of the lost ark
indiana jones and the last crusade
(NOT indiana jones and the temple of doom
star wars
the empire strikes back
(NOT return of the jedi or the unmentionable prequels)
monsters inc.
south park - bigger, longer, & uncut (a remarkable tribute to and skewering of the musical)
young frankenstein
blazing saddles
men in tights
brazil
dr. strangelove
something about mary
me, myself, and irene
raising arizona
fargo
the big lebowski
the jerk
dead men don't wear plaid
parenthood
hoosiers (though i wish they lost in the end)
major league
bull durham
the sting
bananas
love and death
annie hall
deconstructing harry

hmmm.....
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 04:25 am
Hmmm,I´ll agree with Annie Hall,Dr.Strangelove and Fargo.(Which I think is the best film on your list)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 09:33 am
hey, i didnae say they were all good; just that they pop on the cable and i watch them again (and again (and again (and again)))!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 07:21 pm
Interesting point, patiodog. Sometimes it's the bad movies that keep us coming back. Could be they're are so bad they're funny; or who knows what?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 05:55 am
There´s one BAD film which is irresistable for me and that´s Russ Meyers "Beyond The Valley of The Dolls".I LOVE this film and have seen it countless times.Highly recommended Bandylu and Patiodog.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:18 am
Roger Ebert was the writer of "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls!"
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:32 am
And he´s STILL proud of it!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:41 am
hey, if the only thing you've ever made in your life is a steaming pile of dung, naturally you are quite proud of it! must tell those good people at cable to put it on the tube. saw beyond the val, etc. years ago, but was in no state to form lasting memories of it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:56 am
Actually, "Beyond" received respectible reviews -- much better reviews than "Valley." Probably because it's satirical. Then again, critics should be critics -- one can give some allowance for dabbling the the medium they scrutinize, but it ultimately doesn't really work. It would be like a critic of paintings producing paintings. BTW, he is not proud of "Valley of the Super Vixens!"

I also liked "Wonder Boys" and many other films on patiodog's list -- most of the films on the list deserve to be seen more than once.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:07 am
Ebert wrote Beyond The Valley of The Supervixens too?Good grief.That was one of the few Meyer films I´m not too crazy about.It was TOO breathless even for me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:16 am
Actually, I believe there were multiple writers on both but "Super Vixens" had four or five writers. The process daunted Ebert but I think he became more appreciative of the difficulty of producing a good film - a writer is always at the mercy of the director, the actors, the editing, and all the other variables of a collaborative effort.

I'm a bit concerned that you like a film like "Blacksnake!" Is it because it's so bad, it's good.
0 Replies