What is a "State" funeral?

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:39 am
With Ronald Reagan's passing, the news is filled with funeral plans and other related stories.

One of which being that Reagan will be the first State funeral in 30 years.

I take by implication that President Nixon didn't get a State funeral because he resigned.

However, Nixon did change history for the better by his opening trade with China. So maybe his resignation is not the reason that Nixon did not get a state funeral.

Do you know exactly what is a State funeral, and just who is eligible?

Also, why is it called "State" when it seems more "National"?

If you have time for one more quick question, please let me know what it means that one's body "lies in state" (as do the bodies of prominent, deceased politicians worldwide).

Thanks,
General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:17 pm
I can't help you on Nixon's funeral.

When a body "lies in state", whether in the capitol rotunda or a viewing parlor at a neighborhood funeral home, the casket is open and friends come by to pay their respects with a last look at the deceased.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:21 pm
I can answer a couple of your questions.

A state funeral can be held for any president, former president, or president-elect. Or anyone else to whom the currently presiding president offers the honor. Many former presidents' families have turned down the offer, including Nixon's, preferring a smaller service. It is entirely up to the family.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:41 pm
I heard someone on CNN say tonight that Nixon did not want to have a state funeral when he died because he felt like he left Washington DC a shamed man and wanted a simpler funeral service in his hometown.

I thought Reagan's State Funeral was beautiful today. When the Battle Hymn of the Republic began to play I was moved to tears. The flyover of the F-15's was amazing...and so loud!

Nancy looked so frail physically, but so strong emotionally. The riderless horse with the boots on backwards was very touching. You can tell DC is a crime ridden city with all those sirens going off. And what was it with people not turning their cell phones off...jeesh...everyone who spoke did a nice job. I saw Michael, Patti and Ron Jr but wondered where Maureen was...then I thought, did she die?

I think the service was very well done.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:28 am
doglover - I agree with all you said.

Maureen did die of cancer 3 or 4 years ago.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:47 am
The rules: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5151474/

Information on various Presidents' funerals: http://www.cathedral.org/cathedral/discover/presfunerals.shtml
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:59 pm
Thanks, everyone for your help!

General Tsao
PS:This has been a heartbreaking week, hasn't it?
0 Replies