Is there a now?

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:20 pm
Is there only a past and future? Does NOW come and go so fast it can't be isolated or pinned down?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 9,077 • Replies: 89
Topic Closed

dalehileman

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:26 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rick I am continually amazed at the quality of your q's and thank you for them. I wonder if this q might be parallel to the observation that the termination of the Big Crunch could be a "particle" of infinite mass but zero diameter

At which point of course also at a crux of instability for the next Big Bang
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 01:47 pm
Seem to me there is nothing else than 'now'... a permanent present. The past does not exist anymore, and the future is uncertain.
0 Replies

contrex

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:04 pm
"Yesterday Has Gone" was a UK hit in 1968 for Cupid's Inspiration -

(Hey baby)
Yesterday has just departed
Yet tomorrow hasn't started
All that really matters
Is right now
And you should
Live a lifetime
In each minute
Take the sweetness
From within it
Yesterday has gone
Without a sound

(etc)
Rickoshay75

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 05:25 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

"Yesterday Has Gone" was a UK hit in 1968 for Cupid's Inspiration -

(Hey baby)
Yesterday has just departed
Yet tomorrow hasn't started
All that really matters
Is right now
And you should
Live a lifetime
In each minute
Take the sweetness
From within it
Yesterday has gone
Without a sound

(etc)

The first two lines tell it all,
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 06:32 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:
Is there a now?
There was.
I could swear there was . . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 06:41 pm
Be here now, Dude . . .

http://banditblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/8fe975682148491ddc524278fbb16b93.jpg
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 07:32 pm
@contrex,
Yesterday is the Beatles
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 09:35 pm
By way of analogy, think of a traditional movie on a spool of film The now is the single image projected on the screen and absorbed on your retina, then interpreted through your occipital cortex, working its way up to the frontal lobe. In a sense, the rest of the movie doesn't matter, only the now. You can't see or experience any of the movie until it passes through the now. Furthermore, the now is NOT an infinitely thin nanomoment separating the future from the past. Why? Because if it were, it would be outside of human experience, and consequently meaningless to us. A pink elephant in a tutu could appear in front of your nose for a nanosecond and then disappear, and it would never enter your consciousness. Consequently the meaningful human concept of the now is a couple of seconds, and it is intrinsically woven into a semantic tapestry of meaning based on past experience, semiotics, and future expectations.
DNA Thumbs drive

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 09:53 pm
@Banana Breath,
Forbidden planet with Leslie Neilson............
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:22 pm
I agree with Banana, "now" is just a fraction of a second, but "it is".

Right now, by having you reading my words, the word "look" is the past as soon you have read this word "now". If you want to read the word "look" again, you must return back to the lecture and you will ready "look" as now.

A spark of light that last a fraction of a second can be perceived by you, but it is the past when the image has disappeared already.

By common understanding, "now" can be used as "today", as "in this month", "in this year", "in this era", etc.

"Now" for us is the period between the stimuli and the interpretation of the stimuli by our brain. It must be clear that the fraction of a second for the period of interpretation still stands regardless of the distance of the object or its speed.
Rickoshay75

Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:37 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

I agree with Banana, "now" is just a fraction of a second, but "it is".

Right now, by having you reading my words, the word "look" is the past as soon you have read this word "now". If you want to read the word "look" again, you must return back to the lecture and you will ready "look" as now.

A spark of light that last a fraction of a second can be perceived by you, but it is the past when the image has disappeared already.

By common understanding, "now" can be used as "today", as "in this month", "in this year", "in this era", etc.

"Now" for us is the period between the stimuli and the interpretation of the stimuli by our brain. It must be clear that the fraction of a second for the period of interpretation still stands regardless of the distance of the object or its speed.

Now can be interpreted three different ways, perceptive, philosophic, and practical.
JLNobody

Thu 1 Jan, 2015 07:05 pm
@Rickoshay75,
The idea of the present (or now) only makes sense with reference to the ideas of future and past. Yet the future is simply our anticipation of what is not-yet and the past is our recollection of what is no-longer. The present, then, is, like Heraclitus' river, the process whereby the not-yet present is becoming the no-longer present. The present does not exist as a static temporal location yet there is nothing else.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 1 Jan, 2015 11:58 pm
"Now" can refer to many things from the mechanic process action of having a thought up to the point you become aware of that thought which comes out a few hundred milliseconds later in which case it is already past...so there are probably more then one now's out there making up the experiencing of now...and this involves emotions to, like the prolonging of a pleasuring laid lazy now moment or the abrupt rupture of the now we were attached to just a moment ago before daily life nuke us out of the resting place...that all said I don't think there is anything else but now...without it all the time would be forever unconnected. Now is every time start to finish. But we can only experience it by fractioning its unity to digest all that it can encompass.
So in conclusion there are two sorts of now's we can refer to, the "forever" of Being and the experiencing of being there flowing in a continuous circle in a stand still ring, a dead loop.
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 05:51 am
@Rickoshay75,
Now is already over, by the time your neurons begin the calculation, of is there a now...................
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 09:38 am
Wow...

..."now" may be all there is...

...and there may be no "now."

Existence is a bitch.
Rickoshay75

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 01:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Wow...

There is an established NOW in photos, first person movies, newspaper articles, and some books, but most books are third person. Are, is, does, are some of NOW words.
JLNobody

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 02:11 pm
Yes. Frank, existence (or the empty now) IS a bitch. But it's a divine one. And afterwards I expect a continuation of that divinity in a different form. Please don't ask me to explain this bit of nonsence.
Frank Apisa

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 02:14 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Wow...

There is an established NOW in photos, first person movies, newspaper articles, and some books, but most books are third person. Are, is, does, are some of NOW words.

There does not really appear to be an "established now", Rick, despite what you are asserting here.

Right now (irony intended)...I am inclined to think that the notion "now" is unsustainable...and almost useless.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 02:16 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Yes. Frank, existence (or the empty now) IS a bitch. But it's a divine one. And afterwards I expect a continuation of that divinity in a different form. Please don't ask me to explain this bit of nonsence.

I won't! But I do hope you get back to me in the Nirvana thread.
0 Replies