Workout centers that are exclusively for women are fine but such a center for men isn't?

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 03:27 am
The title says it all. There is a double standard when it comes to gender. The YMCA which is center for men was sued for not allowing women, anything that is for men exclusively is not ok but something exclusively for women is fine. Interesting...

contrex

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 04:12 am
Men can be assholes to women (and often are) so it makes sense to give women their private space sometimes, like in toilets. What's your problem?

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:16 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
What's your problem?

He apparently doesn't like gender discrimination.
contrex

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 01:03 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

contrex wrote:
What's your problem?

You think there should be unisex toilets?

oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 02:01 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
oralloy wrote:
contrex wrote:
What's your problem?

You think there should be unisex toilets?

The OP was complaining about situations where women-only areas are encouraged while men-only areas are prohibited.

Bathrooms would seem not to fit such a discriminatory scenario, as any place with women-only bathrooms is also likely to have men-only bathrooms.

I have no objection to unisex bathrooms if they are single occupant bathrooms that are used by only one person at a time.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 02:14 am
@alabama989,
Do you have any links to news articles about this lawsuit you reference? I've looked at the history of YMCA on Wikipedia, both globally and US, and find no mention of such a suit. Also did some Googling and find nothing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA

Looked at YMCAs website and browsed through their history from the 1800s to present and find nothing regarding gender discrimination.

http://www.ymca.net/history/1960-1990s.html

So, how about giving a link to the premise in which you base your complaint and we can go from there in the discussion.

Thanks!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 02:20 am
@alabama989,
Quote:
There is a double standard when it comes to gender

you only just now discovered this?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 02:50 am
It's good that there is a "double standard", because for too long women got the shitty end of the stick, now the balance is going the other way, in a few small things like gyms and swimming baths, but still a few bigoted rednecks whine, not to mention forum trolls wanting an argument.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
NSFW (view)
NSFW (view)
engineer

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 08:00 am
@alabama989,
I've known several men's only clubs over the years. I don't know where the idea that such are exclusively for women come from.
engineer

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 08:04 am
@engineer,
It turns out this has been in the courts over the last ten years several times. Here is some reading. http://fitnessmarketing.com/2011/04/are-women-only-gyms-guilty-of-discrimination/
0 Replies