Question for Third Party Voters

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 03:27 pm
For those of you who will be voting for a third party candidate such as Ralph Nader or the Libertarian candidate in the Presidential election, what are your thought processes in deciding to use your vote on a third party candidate?

I think even their most ardent supporters realize the chance of winning the election is slim at best, but what benefits do you see from your support?

When you cast your vote for a third party candidate, do you really consider who among the Democratic and Republican candidates you would have voted for if those were your only choices?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 647 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 03:55 pm
As a Libertairan I look at the merits of the Democrats and Republicans. Usually I don't find very many. I despise Bush for his anti-diplomacy, pro-war policies and Kerry is not the kind of leader this country needs. If everyone who BELIEVED Libertariand actually VOTED Libertarian we would be a major national party in no time.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:01 pm
starting with the assumption that anyone running or even wanting to be president is a dickhead I often vote 3 (or 5th) party so as to totally waste my vote and still participate in the election process of being a good citizen.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:05 pm
NickFun wrote:
As a Libertairan I look at the merits of the Democrats and Republicans. Usually I don't find very many. I despise Bush for his anti-diplomacy, pro-war policies and Kerry is not the kind of leader this country needs. If everyone who BELIEVED Libertariand actually VOTED Libertarian we would be a major national party in no time.

I agree completely!

I vote libertarian, not to win, but to show the 2 main parties that there are people who disagree. If they were worth anything, they would look at those numbers and think, "What can I do to get their vote?"

I'm hoping to make an impression.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:44 pm
dyslexia wrote:
starting with the assumption that anyone running or even wanting to be president is a dickhead I often vote 3 (or 5th) party so as to totally waste my vote and still participate in the election process of being a good citizen.

Maybe if everyone voted their conscience dickheads would be discouraged from running for office.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:54 pm
The Democrats are not far from the Republicans in their policies; they drag their feet a bit, but they end up being sort of shadow Republican party. I vote Nader because I agree with him more than Bush and Kerry.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:16 am
I know that no matter what I do, New York will be behind the Democratic candidate because of the number of votes that come out of NYC. For that reason, I will again choose to pad the numbers for a third party candidate in hopes of one day getting the current system to change a bit.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:08 am
Nickfun writes:
Quote:
If everyone who BELIEVED Libertarian actually VOTED Libertarian we would be a major national party in no time

As a Libertarian, I agree. However, before the American people will risk letting us have a shot at the White House and/or making national laws, the Libertarians themselves are going to have to clean up their act, find some sort of consensus that can be defined on their take on the Constitution and American freedoms and make room for true conservatives in their midst. There has to be a more coherant debate to define a 'just war', 'national responsibilility to neighbors', 'how compassion for the truly needy will be administered', how religous freedom will be interpreted etc. etc. etc. There will not be complete agreement on any major issues and compromises have to be found.

When the party can be projected with an image of free drugs for everybody, no international borders, total isolationism, and 'everybody fends for himself', it creates more concerns in the minds of the public than it creates confidence.

I propose that the debate begin, however. There simply has to be a better plan than what either the Democrats or GOP has come up with so far.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:55 pm
That's a word McGentrix, go for the real democracy.
I know most countries don't have more than two big parties that usually come the executive leaders from.
But I'm sure the US really could need some fresh wind from another party that kicks some butties of "old"-thinking congressmen.
0 Replies