The Moron-American Voting Bloc

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 08:41 am
Excerpt:

However, elections, particularly national elections, do not ultimately hinge on a mere battle of ideas. While policy is important to a majority of voters who do vote their pocketbooks and their conception of the national interest, an election cannot be won without appealing to the 10-20% of voters who are swayed not by the message but by tone and attitude of the candidates, as well as the general "images" of the parties. Gene Lyons recently referred to this important voting bloc as the "Moron-American community." (They also comprise the contemptible "late deciders" who make national election outcome predictions impossible until election day - when they make their voting decisions.)

Al Gore won the 2000 election only by the slightest of margins, thanks to an Axis of Incompetence that developed over the last decade and now imposes a decisive influence on elections and has wreaked untold destruction on our democracy: the dangerous combination of incompetent voters whose decisions are shaped by an incompetent mainstream media.

The margin in 2000 was disgracefully slim because the national media had convinced the Moron-American community that an immature and incompetent frat boy was "likable," and that "likeability" mattered more than anything else.

Likeability and unlikeability, which were to be created with lies and exaggerations put forth by a group of unprofessional and embarrassing political "journalists" (though some were genuinely charmed by Bush rolling oranges down the aisle on his plane), were to matter more than responsible economic policies and more than critical national security policies.

MWO Manifesto
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,627 • Replies: 21
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:03 am
PDiddie
I have always been more than a little bemused as to how the voters could be so strongly pro Clinton and all in a twinkling become strongly pro Bush. Looking for logic in voting patterns is a real challenge. I often feel contempt for the voting process because it is always based on fraudulent propaganda and a non critical voting mass.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:15 am
i believe it was H.L. Menchen that refered to the voting public as "boobus americanus'
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 09:22 am
Translated for the boys in Lubbock: "The masses are asses."
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:02 am
"(Ignorance) results not only in tragic gaffes within the FBI and CIA; ignorance is responsible for the failure of thousands of ordinary American citizens to do the right thing. "I didn't think to call Child Protection"…"I didn't study her background, I just voted for her"…"I didn't know he was breaking a law"...are statements I hear on a continuing basis from people who are intelligent and who allege to be concerned about their community and those who live in it. Whether it stems from fear of having our long-held assumptions challenged, the delusion that reliable information is available on television, or just plain laziness, ignorance is as dangerous in America as it is anywhere else in the world.

With the Bush White House in power, ignorance is even more dangerous than usual. Are Americans in favor of government spying, the mixing of religion and government social programs, and the launching of an attack on a country who has not attacked us? Some are, to be sure, and that is another issue. But there are many who are not, yet they have not bothered to read the fine print in the Patriot Act, or to explore the ramifications of the so-called 'faith-based' initiative. And they have not taken a glimpse at the big picture, which is, to turn a phrase, an 'oil' painting of dreadful import."

(This is from an essay entitled "Plenty of Patriotism, but Little Citizenship" by Diane Dees. The entire article is linked in a similarly titled thread.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:08 am
(Aside -- I'd hate to see you, dyslexia, and bib take over a thread, PDiddie -- the eyes!! The eyes won't stop watching me!!!)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:08 am
Check out this article in the latest NY Review of Books by Joan Didion. It's a bit long, but well worth the time. She discusses the swill we've been asked to swallow post 9/11/01:

Fixed Opinions, or The Hinge of History
by Joan Didion

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/15984

(For those who don't want to take the time to read it, one of her points is that the powers-that-be don't want anyone to express the idea that it might help if we try to figure out what motivates our enemies.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:09 am
sozobe wrote:
(Aside -- I'd hate to see you, dyslexia, and bib take over a thread, PDiddie -- the eyes!! The eyes won't stop watching me!!!)

Gosh, Sozobe, there's an eye in my avatar, too...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:09 am
the eyes have it
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:24 am
That Joan is one sharp cookie, D'art.

I am reminded of a fellow I knew who had lost an eye and wore a glass prothesis. He used to inhibit his children's misbehavior (until, of course, they grew old enough to no longer be intimidated by the tactic) by removing it, setting it on the table in front of them and saying, "I'm keeping my eye on you..."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:37 am
ooooh, I had a Gramma with a glass eye... but she never took it out, thanks be.

I happen to have an eye in my avatar, but it is looking down (possibly at a book).

I think that Joan Didion's use of Axis of Incompetence is great. I am going to have to start using "Axis of..." the way we used "the mother of all...". A fun ploy in party conversation.

Full election information is sometimes hard to garner, especially if you're concerned about local politics, too. I have sometimes contacted an elected official whom I liked and asked for names of persons they were voting for. Very helpful.

In a way it is a good idea to keep the media and the candidates guessing. I hate polling. But I do believe the electorate should be informed and that more people should vote.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:48 am
Sounds like he had a sense of humor!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 09:02 pm
I had almost begun to think it was attributable to my being middle aged and paranoid - my sense of dread at the intentions and actions of the administration residing in Washington now. Joan didion's article has reaffirmed to me in no uncertain terms that we have much to fear - not just from the physical threat that may come as a result of the unprecedented preemptive attack bush is contemplating, but from the numbness of reason and spirit that urges us all not to think.

Not to think about why America is so hated.

Not to think about what happens after "preemption", or the 2004 election.

Not intending to sound melodramatic, I can honestly say that I truly fear for us as a nation today. I worry that we have not already capitualted the captaincy of our fates to greedy, careless, stupid men.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 09:27 pm
Hi, snood. I completely agree.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 09:29 pm
I'm with you two too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 09:30 pm
the day of 9/11/01 i feared for my country--today i fear my country
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:22 pm
Yes. What a turning point, a horrible turning point that was.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 01:22 pm
Part of the reason the public is ill-informed is the way the mass media report on presidential campaigns. This last time it was all about personality: Gore the smart but wooden candidate vs. Bush the personable but dumb guy. There's a new book about this; I forget the author, but I think that's part of his premise.

TV news is the worst in this regard.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 09:33 am
Politicians aside, nobody flatters the great lowing herd of American voters more assiduously than the press. With headlines like "Bush Approval Rating in Free Fall" appearing for the first time since President Junior's father lost his 1992 re-election bid, this would ordinarily be a good time to praise the wisdom of the American people.

Indeed, there are heartening signs that Junior's hold on the crucial Moron-American vote is slipping. Once their attention has been fully engaged, voters most often do make intelligent decisions. The problem is that they're so distracted and inattentive that they're easily fooled. Consider the results of a Knight-Ridder poll recently reported in the Kansas City Star:

The Politics of the Herd
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:00 am
A very conclusive article. I need to know this, because a lot of people here in Germany are still thinking that EVERY american citizen is willing to start a war with Saddam!

Are there more polls showing similar results?
0 Replies