Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 11:34 am
My most sincere apologies to those whose postings I've thumbed down over the years, want to assure you, in no way a reflection upon their value nor merit

Purpose of course merely to make more room on my listings pages. Admin if you're listening and there's any hope of further improvement to your otherwise excellent software: If it isn't feasible to provide another means having no such implications, I wonder if it might be possible to store the "Topic voted down (view)" link somewhere else

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 12:40 pm
Much better for this forum...and for common sense...if they were to eliminate the thumbing function entirely.

Eliusa

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 12:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't get it - I can click those thumbs numerous times and clock goes up.
What is the point in this feature?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 01:09 pm
@Eliusa,
Forgive me Eli but what clock where, how
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 01:18 pm
@Eliusa,
If you mean the number that indicates the number of thumbs given, yes, it goes up sometimes. Look at it again after a moment or two, it goes right back to one per username.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 06:08 pm
@dalehileman,
I read, and have read, the titles of most threads over twelve years now. I, and many others, though not all, do this by reading New Posts. I miss some, those caught by mods early as spam. Thank goodness/mods.

If I am not interested in some word threads, I'll down them. If I am not interested in spam threads, I'll report. If I am not clear on those, I'll down them, sometimes report.

Since I use a2k by reading just about everything at a glance, I see four or five pages of threads run by my eyes per day. I get rid of topics of no interest, no insult meant, so that if I want to review, I don't have to see ........... again.

This is usual for some of us.

Meantime, re posts, which, dalehileman, are not the same as threads, I'm more particular.
I don't like myself or anyone else down thumbing re disagreement, please argue instead. I try not to do that unless

the poster is a repetitive troll, arguably hard to define, but I'll take my own view.

Alternately, I thumb up for well worked out arguments, even if I disagree, at least some of the time,

The alternative to this kind of moderation is to hire, for serious pay, moderators to be watchers, a process many boards tried early on.
You like this free and free speaking site?
Stop whining.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 06:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Meantime, re posts, which, dalehileman, are not the same as threads
Yes thanks Oss, but I do understand the diff. I'm wondering where I might have given the wrong impression

Quote:
The alternative to this kind of moderation is to hire, for serious pay, moderators to be watchers, a process many boards tried early on.
Yes Oss I've been there, experienced that--many times, oft, repeatedly. They'er largely prudes and fussbudgets; for who else would volunteer for such a post

Quote:
You like this free and free speaking site?
At a2k however we're allowed to say almost anything, one reason I've remained

Quote:
Stop whining.
Stop pontificating

Sorry Oss, couldn't resist
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 08:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If you mean the number that indicates the number of thumbs given, yes, it goes up sometimes. Look at it again after a moment or two, it goes right back to one per username.

heh.

Could you imagine if one person could give a thumbs up or down multiple times on a post?
Some troll would have someone with 100 thumbs down. Apparantly eliusa has already tried that. Rolling Eyes I'm not surprised.

I accidently hit up or down more than once on a post, then when I refreshed, it went back to the appropriate number.

Dale, I have a question, do you mean on the page that lists all the threads going on? Or an individual post?

I'll admit, when I realize there's some thread that's getting heavy posting, but it's on a subject I have absolutley no interest in, I'll thumb it down on that page, just so I don't have to see it any more.

Am I not supposed to do that?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 09:24 pm
Don't ******* call me oss. I have told you that more than once.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
My version of Owen Wister
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Wister
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 10:14 pm
@chai2,
Large threads with multiple thumbs, I thumb down to get rid of them. Those with no action, like the water softener questions and some others will get the user ignored. I don't want them on my screen and I don't want a new member to check back and see a big, fat zero. They never know they're being ignored.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 11:09 am
@chai2,
Quote:
…..do you mean on the page that lists all the threads going on? Or……..
Sorry Chai but in what regard or with reference specifically to which posting

Quote:
I'll thumb it down….not supposed to do that?
My q exactly, Chai. Seems like we ought to be able to delete a listing without insulting its author, doesn't it
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 11:13 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
told you that more than once
Oops Oss, forgive my 84-year-old mem

Oops again

Will tryta member, O., but no guarantee
0 Replies