Looking for advice. Was I assaulted?

nononono

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:46 pm
@firefly,
Feminists only care about "equality" when it benefits women firefly.

That's why feminists only bitch and moan about wanting more high status female jobs like CEOs. They don't complain about there not being an equal amount of female oil workers or coal miners.

And really its women in general who care more about comfort and flexibility in a job than men do. Men care more about how much a job pays, while women care more about a comfortable work environment and being able to take time off when they choose. These things are due to free will of choice.

And feminists don't ever bitch about there being less men in fields like nursing or teaching. Now regardless of whether it's the men who don't choose these fields or not; the fact is that feminists don't make a big stink about it.

Because feminist logic works like this:

1) "There are more men than women in this particular career field. That's sexism!"

2) "There are much more women than men in this particular career field. That's equality!"

And you see this is a perfect example of the self centeredness and bigotry that feminism is.

And by the way firefly, I only skimmed through the story about your job, but did you ever think that maybe the reason people don't want to hire you is because you're unpleasant in general? Maybe people don't want to hire someone who is bigoted towards men?

Oh, and from this point forward I'm going to always use your logic back at you when you argue that a particular man is sexist. Like you said, Jessica Valenti and Gloria Steinem can't be sexist because they're married to men. So from now on, whenever you claim someone is sexist, if that person is married that will render your argument null and void.

And if I'm not mistaken, Hawkeye is married...
0 Replies

nononono

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:49 pm
@Eliusa,
Quote:
Quote:
You hate men, whitebars. Nobody wants to associate with that...
------------------

Maybe she has her reasons Wink

There is no excuse for hatred and bigotry. And that a comment like you just made here is accepted instead of attacked, shows just how much hating men is socially accepted. Disgusting.
Olivier5

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 08:29 pm
@nononono,
No no no no Nononono. Eliusa was joking.
nononono

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 08:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Eliusa was joking.

Jessica Valenti says she was just joking too.

It's not funny.

Just like it's not funny when someone makes racist jokes.

Hate is hate.
cicerone imposter

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:39 pm
@nononono,
I totally agree.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 10:46 pm
@nononono,
It's important to know the difference:

When Jessica Valenti says "I bathe in men's tears" it is quite sad, and I think it reflects the fact that she has, to some extent, internalized the label of "man-hater" that anti-feminists have given to her.

Eliusa is just silly.
nononono

Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:16 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
When Jessica Valenti says "I bathe in men's tears" it is quite sad, and I think it reflects the fact that she has, to some extent, internalized the label of "man-hater" that anti-feminists have given to her.

What's sad is that she's earned the label of "man-hater" and she's proud of it! She flaunts it!

What's sad is that Valenti is completely accepted by the mainstream media. and this is proof positive that what mainstream feminism is, is hate mongering and bigotry.

What's sad is that Valenti has gotten away with:

~Stating publicly that she has no empathy for male victims of suicide.
~Stating publicly that men's pay should be reduced across the board simply because they are men.
~Stating publicly that if a woman accuses a man of rape and there is ZERO evidence to prove it, that man should be prosecuted anyway.
~Among many other hateful things.

But I guess Valenti couldn't possibly be bigoted in saying these things, because like firefly has pointed out, Valenti is married. Being married absolves anyone from being a sexist of course. That's why Hawkeye, Paul Elam, and Warren Farrell cannot be sexist either. All three of those men are married to women.

What's sad is that Valenti, the hateful bigot is allowed to write for major mainstream media.

What's sad is that people are actually arguing that mainstream feminism isn't a hateful supremacist ideology.
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:29 am
@Olivier5,
I have no views about what feminism "is" currently because I'm not particularly interested, and, since you've already admitted you are not knowledgeable regarding current feminist thinking or issues, I fail to see why you are so hung up on feminism either. And your conception of what feminists are like seems both extremely dated and stereotyped.

Feminism was never about getting grown men to change, it was about raising awareness and working to remove societal barriers that prevented women from gaining full equality--socially, politically, and economically. It never involved getting men to adhere to feminism, or women to adhere to feminism, because there is no one version of feminist ideology or thought, it was about identifying the societal factors, and attitudes, that limited the development of women's potential and their contributions to society. It was about empowering women to have more control over their lives. And it was always about talking with, and working with, men in a collaborative manner, if shared goals were involved.

Feminism, as social activism, is essentially no different than advocacy groups for the black community or the gay community--which also work to raise awareness of issues, or discriminatory attitudes, that adversely affect their groups--and when their issues and goals resonate with others, outside of their particular groups, they will receive support from these individuals. Plenty of white people just marched in NYC to protest the killing of an unarmed black man by the police, and similar killings of unarmed black men by police all over the country, in rallies which were black organized. Plenty of straight people advocate strongly for the legalization of gay marriage and the end to all forms of discrimination against gays and lesbians. And plenty of men support the issues and concerns identified by, not just feminists, but women in general.

I'm not sure you understand or differentiate between feminism and simply women's views and perspectives--they are not synonymous. What feminists accomplished was to help make women, as a group, more assertive, so they began speaking up and speaking out more on societal issues of concern to women. Once that starts to happen, and men start listening, seriously listening, and they begin to address those concerns too, you don't need feminism as an advocacy group any more, you can just let women speak for themselves, and advocate for themselves, and organize for themselves, without a defined activist movement called feminism. And that's where I think we are now, or at least we're clearly moving in that direction, which is why I think, in the U.S., feminism is becoming obsolete and unnecessary, and that's fine, it's a natural progression. Once the issues are identified, it's up to the larger society to work on solving them.

I want women to be heard and listened to--otherwise you cannot understand the female perspective on issues based on their life experiences as women. And I don't find you to be a particularly good listener to even the women in this thread. You may respond, to them or to me, but I don't think you really hear what was said, or consider it.

For instance, you keep asserting that patriarchy doesn't exist, you called it tilting at windmills, and you dismiss it as some sort of feminist delusion, but ehBeth, osso, and I, all disagreed with you. Did that cause you to consider you might be wrong? No, you went right on making the same assertion as though you didn't hear us. That's not just a difference of opinion, it's a blind spot you might have as a man because patriarchy doesn't affect you, it privileges you, or it certainly doesn't affect you in the way it would if you were a woman.

And your views about how feminism should change it's image, or your How To of Feminism, and the causes you think N.O.W. should address itself to, are examples of a man telling women how they should be thinking and acting--and what could be more patriarchal than that.

Forget about feminism, Oliver, you really don't seem to understand it anyway, and just start listening to women, really listening, if you want to understand where their heads are at. I think you might have lots of male blind spots you aren't even aware of.

nononono

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:54 am
@firefly,
Quote:
For instance, you keep asserting that patriarchy doesn't exist

Name me one right in western society that men have that women don't.

I can think of 5 rights off the top of my head that women have in western society that men don't.

Quote:
but ehBeth, osso, and I, all disagreed with you.

There's your proof of the existence of the patriarchy Oliver! Women told you that it exists. Listen and believe Oliver, listen and believe...
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:09 am
Patriarchy is a social system in which: males hold primary power; males predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property...

Exhibit A:

Women Serving in the 114th Congress 2015-17

Total members of the Senate

Women

Total members of the House of Representatives

Women

All women didn't even have the right to vote until 1920--less than 100 years ago. And they fought a long hard battle to get it .

Quote:
The 19th amendment guarantees all American women the right to vote. Achieving this milestone required a lengthy and difficult struggle; victory took decades of agitation and protest. Beginning in the mid-19th century, several generations of woman suffrage supporters lectured, wrote, marched, lobbied, and practiced civil disobedience to achieve what many Americans considered a radical change of the Constitution. Few early supporters lived to see final victory in 1920.

Beginning in the 1800s, women organized, petitioned, and picketed to win the right to vote, but it took them decades to accomplish their purpose. Between 1878, when the amendment was first introduced in Congress, and August 18, 1920, when it was ratified, champions of voting rights for women worked tirelessly, but strategies for achieving their goal varied. Some pursued a strategy of passing suffrage acts in each state—nine western states adopted woman suffrage legislation by 1912. Others challenged male-only voting laws in the courts. Militant suffragists used tactics such as parades, silent vigils, and hunger strikes. Often supporters met fierce resistance. Opponents heckled, jailed, and sometimes physically abused them.

By 1916, almost all of the major suffrage organizations were united behind the goal of a constitutional amendment. When New York adopted woman suffrage in 1917 and President Wilson changed his position to support an amendment in 1918, the political balance began to shift.

On May 21, 1919, the House of Representatives passed the amendment, and 2 weeks later, the Senate followed. When Tennessee became the 36th state to ratify the amendment on August 18, 1920, the amendment passed its final hurdle of obtaining the agreement of three-fourths of the states. Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby certified the ratification
http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/document.html?doc=13&title.raw=19th+Amendment+to+the+U.S.+Constitution:+Women's+Right+to+Vote

nononono

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:28 am
@firefly,
...and women make up the majority of voters in the U.S.

Therefore the ultimate vote on who was/is elected to congress and the house of representatives rests squarely in the hands on women.

If women don't like the people representing them in government, they have the power in voting them out.

But this really goes back to my point from further up in this thread:

nononono said:
Quote:
And really its women in general who care more about comfort and flexibility in a job than men do. Men care more about how much a job pays, while women care more about a comfortable work environment and being able to take time off when they choose. These things are due to free will of choice.

Believe it or not firefly, human beings have free will. Women have free will. Working in a government job is demanding and time consuming. And ultimately more men are willing to make these sacrifices to work in these jobs than women are.

More men run for office than women do. There is literally NOTHING stopping more women from running for office. Nothing but themselves. They choose not to.

Next!
nononono

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:33 am
@firefly,
Quote:
All women didn't even have the right to vote until 1920--less than 100 years ago. And they fought a long hard battle to get it .

And women have the right to vote.

But guess what men are forced to do in order to be allowed to vote. I'll give you a hint, it's something that women DO NOT have to do in order to be allowed to vote...

Men have to agree to die if the U.S. decides to go to war!

That's right, women DO NOT have to agree to die if the U.S. decides to go to war. They can vote in their country without having to defend it.

If a man doesn't register for the draft upon turning 18, he is not allowed to vote and can also be fined and put in prison!

Next!
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:36 am
@nononono,
Quote:
More men run for office than women do. There is literally NOTHING stopping more women from running for office. Nothing but themselves.

How about the fact that women are still the primary caregivers for children, and for elderly parents as well?

nononono

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 02:42 am
@firefly,
Quote:
How about the fact that women are still the primary caregivers for children

This is actually a right that women have that men don't. And men (specifically men's rights groups) WANT men to be the primary caregivers for children. But women are just the assumed caregivers and the courts enforce this. And then men are forced out of their children's lives.

Quote:
and for elderly parents as well?

Wow, you're REALLY scrambling for things aren't you? I highly doubt more women are responsible for elderly parents than men are. Especially financially responsible. And the burden of proof falls on you to show me stats that prove me wrong on that.

Next!
firefly

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:07 am
@nononono,
Quote:
This is actually a right that women have that men don't. And men (specifically men's rights groups) WANT men to be the primary caregivers for children.

A right? How about a responsibility for women--and one they are simply expected to assume.

And men already have the right to be the primary caregivers for their children. Men can stay home and care for their children, particularly before they are of school age, take them to doctor and dentist visits, cook meals for them, do the laundry for them, and shopping for them, take them to play dates and other activities, stay home and care for them when they are ill, and take jobs that coincide with their school schedules once the children are of school age, so the children are always attended to. That's a right men already have, no one stops them from doing that.
Quote:
I highly doubt more women are responsible for elderly parents than men are.

That's a fact. And, just like child care, it often requires women to take extended periods off from jobs and careers, which then negatively affects their earning power.
Quote:
Elderly caregiving: Daughters, not sons, step up
Hoai-Tran Bui,
USATODAY
August 19, 2014

A new study suggests parents may be more grateful to have daughters around than sons as they need care in their old age.

The study conducted by Angelina Grigoryeva, a doctoral candidate in sociology at Princeton University, found that daughters provide an average of 12.3 hours of care to their elderly parents per month, compared to sons' 5.6 hours. Grigoryeva defined elderly caregiving as helping parents with daily living tasks such as dressing, traveling, eating, medication and grocery shopping.

The study was being presented Tuesday at the American Sociological Association's 109th Annual Meeting. The study found that given the presence of a female sibling or other helpers, the sons reduce their caregiving efforts. The amount of care daughters give varies depending on their employment or number of children, but the amount of caregiving from sons remains consistently low, Grigoryeva said.

"We found that daughters provide as much (care) as they can with given constraints, but sons provide less (care) regardless of constraints," Grigoryeva said.

The study pulled data from the 2004 University of Michigan Health and Retirement Study, a longitudinal panel study that surveys a sample of more than 26,000 Americans over the age of 50. While progress has been made for gender gaps in the workforce or in child care, Grigoryeva said elderly parent care as a role largely handled by women has remained static since 1995, the earliest year this data were available.

"This means that gender probably is having a big impact throughout (women's) whole lives," said Philip Cohen, a professor of sociology at the University of Maryland. "We see part of the reason for gender gap in pay is because women spend more time out of the workforce, taking care of children, making career sacrifices for family. This suggests that parent care is also a big factor on the gender gap."

Parent care may also have an effect on the mental and physical health of the caregivers, Grigoryeva said. Previous studies have found that people who provide care for elderly family members have negative mental and physical health consequences and also have a higher mortality rate because of the stress of balancing elder care with career.

The detrimental side-effects of caregiving for elderly parents could have potentially "intensifying effects on a series of gender inequalities pertaining to health and economic well-being," Grigoryeva said.

The study suggests that gender is the most important factor in the amount of assistance an adult will provide to their elderly parents.

"We might think of (caring for elderly relatives) as practical – who's got time or resources," said Philip Cohen. "But this study suggests it's not time and resources, it's really the gender."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/19/elderly-care-caregiving-women/14254647/

gungasnake

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:54 am
@whitebars,
Quote:
.... I actually have a master's in gender studies....

Face it, that's your whole problem right there. The only possible cure is go go out in the world and work at some honest/decent job for the next five or ten years and broaden your perspective. You don't have to start at the top... I once read a story about a guy in a similar situation who got a job baiting fish hooks on a trawler. Started off as an apprentice baiter and after four years, worked his way all the way up to master baiter.
Olivier5

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:36 am
@firefly,
Quote:
And your views about how feminism should change it's image, or your How To of Feminism, and the causes you think N.O.W. should address itself to, are examples of a man telling women how they should be thinking and acting--and what could be more patriarchal than that.

Okay, so a man wanting to debate feminism with a woman is necessarily a patriarchal stooge. Case closed. I won't disturb you anymore with my innate misogyny. Bye now.
Eliusa

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:40 am
@nononono,
Always finding racist jokes funny same as gender jokes and jewish jokes and English jokes and rednecks jokes...and finding hilariously sad when someone gets upset over any kind of jokes. Ha ha.
Eliusa

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:42 am
@Kolyo,
"I bathe in men's tears" probably means that she can't take vacation and go to the ocean to swim in salty waters. Silly men. No woman is that small so she can get enough of men tears to bathe in it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:49 am
@nononono,
Don't give me this PC blabla. And don't get me started. Now that I am a woman, I can tell all the anti-men jokes I want... Smile

Blond jokes are still allowed and they are very disrespectful to blond people... What gives?

Keep your sense of humor, nono. It's what makes us human beings rather than speaking monkeys...