advice on what to do with an agent

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:38 am
I finished training in july, and have now got an agent. I got the agent in september but have yet to be sent for an audition. I am on spotlight but cant apply for any acting jobs myself as the only option is to nudge my agency to send my forward for it.

Does anyone have any advice for me on anything pro-active i can do, and is this to be expected when you are new to the industry and first get an agent.

Many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:44 am
@seanysean,
Are you paying the agent now or is it on a contingency basis? Did you have all your publicity photos and headshots done through him/her, etc? what type of charge did they hit you with? (I'm a prof photog so this is an area where I've got some limited knowledge).

Many times some agents make money off unsophisticated talent through an upfront charge and then blow smoke until you drift away from neglect or lack of work. Remember their in business to make money. They make money from booking experienced talent that can get them repeated bookings, for the main part. Sadly, some of the less scrupulous agents can also make money off upfront charges from green talent.

You need to communicate with your agent and get a firm understanding from them of what they project for you to help manage your expectations, and what they're doing right NOW to promote you.

My advice is to get bust and find ANY acting jobs you can and/or get involved with community groups or wherever you can to get real experience.
Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:02 am
@Ragman,
oops typo: get busy
Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:06 am
@Ragman,
Oops I just reread and noticed you have a restriction in your taking independent acting jobs. I'm not sure whether your 'contract' allows you an opportunity to act for free in a community group? you might want to ask about that.
0 Replies