Grandparents' Brags

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:38 pm
I am constantly amazed by children who eat their vegetables. When I was a child they couldn't punish me enough to make me eat cooked vegetables, particularly squash and okra.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:55 pm
I hated peas. However, I did eat them, because not eating your dinner was a major offense in my parents' house.

I found later, though, that my problem was not really the veggies themselves as much as how my mom overcooked them (or being from a can; I never eat canned stuff now). When I was a teen, it was obvious how much I liked the veggies at the Chinese restaurant and my mom was furious. She was/is an awful narcissist.

~~~

I try not to put pressure on my dd. I just try to offer a variety of healthy choices at every meal. It works (for now at least).
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:57 pm
Well, tonight I made some very nice (and expensive) french green beans. They were sweet and tasty.

She did not eat them!

But she did eat her turkey burger, which is good since it is usually the meat she leaves on her plate.

I didn't make brussel sprouts (or 'ussel brouts' as she calls them) tonight, but my husband did bring more home from the grocery store. I hope she eats them all again, because I don't want to.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:03 pm
I agree, bromeliad. I hated most veggies, and it turns out to be the way they were boiled to death.. well, that is how my mother knew how to cook them...
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:13 pm
That was the style back in their day, I guess. But I'm hoping your mom didn't go ballistic on you when you seemed to like someone else's cooking better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 09:23 pm
Well, the thing with my mom and me was very difficult, as I had a rebellious teen time - appropriate from my point of view now, but not well regarded then - as I still lived at home through college, which lemme tell you is damned unnatural in a quiet multiply anguished irish catholic home of the fifties/early sixties, and then in my twenties, as I was at last blossoming as a person, when I finally moved out despite pleas and sorrow, she and my dad almost immediately had failing mental and physical health. So, we never got into adult back and forths.

Now I just remember that she did like to cook, back when they had any money, and was loving to me in her way.... and one of my favorite family photos is one of two lemon meringue pies she made sitting on a window sill cooling. That photo was taken before I was born in a house they had "built" in Toluca Lake, CA, where they lived for a seeming few minutes before the military finally accepted my dad's opportunings to get into the air force in the beginning of '42.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:40 pm
One of my other grandsons, Austin, has been a babbler ever since he discovered he has vocal chords. He recently said his first complete sentence: "Don't touch the Nascars, Dad." His dad was dusting around Austin's set of toy cars.
0 Replies