Fathers rights

roger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 03:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Good point.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:08 am
At least, I'm quite up-to-date with the relevant federal and Berlin state law due to this question. Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, Walter knows best because of all his illegitimate children he's registered in Berlin Smile (joking of course).
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:50 am
"he wants to send money - which the mother seems not to want to accept.'

Yeah, right.

How can he be "part of his little girl's life" except financially?

It's about the money, it's always about the money.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 03:32 pm
@PUNKEY,
wow

Not all single parents want or need financial involvement by the other parent. Some genuinely feel (or have been convinced) that there is value to having the other bio-parent involved in the child's life.

At one time, these two adults had a positive relationship, liked something about each other. Hopefully they can find that positive place again and agree on a way that the OP can have a relationship with his daughter (once the relationship is confirmed).

Based on the OP, there are already going to be things in the way - he seems to want a lot more than the mother is offering/asking. For the child's sake, I hope they can come to a resolution.

On a personal level, if I was the mother, I wouldn't agree to his name on the birth certificate, the name change, the dual citizenship, or any financial connection. On confirmation of parentage, I would agree to supervised (by the mother and a neutral party) visits in the child's home city until I was comfortable with the father's intentions.

The birth certificate/dual citizenship issue can be sorted out when the child is of legal age in Germany. The child can make the decision at that time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 03:36 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
He is just saying that if dual citizenship is to be achieved, the guy will also need to comply with US law.

the thing is, there is no rush on the dual citizenship issue

people can have that done much much much further down the line - if they want it
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 03:40 pm
@glitterbag,
Maybe the mother doesn't want the American father to have a legal tie to the child. That would be one strong reason not to accept any child support.

I have seen cases like that in my circle.

The mothers don't mind the fathers meeting the children, having some parental relationship - but no legal decision-making rights to the children.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 03:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

To be honest: I have totally different ideas.

Here, a father has to pay.

what does he have to pay and under what circumstances?

here, the father only has to be identified (and pay) if the mother is making a claim for social benefits.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:01 pm
@ehBeth,
a) there must be a father registered,
b) he has to pay according to a list called the "Düsseldorfer Tabelle" (that's a tablet by the regionl court in Düsseldof, used as a basis by all courts all over Germany).

I think that it's slightly here as it is in Canada.
This "a father has to pay" is regulated in various laws ("spousal support" it would be in the USA, "maintenance" in England).
If a mother doesn't want it ... nullo actore nullus iudex, no plaintiff, no judge.

As far as I know, in most districts of Berlin (like elsewhere in Germany), the local Jugendamt ("youth welfare office") will at least have a look at the situation of a single mother's child, especially, if there's no registered father.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't you've understood my question Walter.

Is there something a father in Germany has to pay to the child, just because he is a father?

Here, if the mother can support the child independently and doesn't request support from the government or father, the father's $ don't ever have to come into play. If the mother is able to support the child, there is no question of who the father is. No one is interested on the government side.

His name can be added to the birth certificate at any time in the future - it's no big deal here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
But all this is irrelevant momentarily: there is no legal father.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Can you answer my question? it is not specific to this thread

ehBeth wrote:
Is there something a father in Germany has to pay to the child, just because he is a father?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Here, if the mother can support the child independently and doesn't request support from the government or father, the father's $ don't ever have to come into play. If the mother is able to support the child, there is no question of who the father is. No one is interested on the government side.

His name can be added to the birth certificate at any time in the future - it's no big deal here.

It's - more or less - the same here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:17 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Yes. ... wait a second ....
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
German Civil Code
Quote:
Section 1601
Persons with an obligation to maintain
Lineal relatives are under an obligation to maintain each other.

For a child, at doesn't matter at all, if the parents are married, singles, live together or not.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

It's - more or less - the same here.

but you're saying the father has to pay something, based on some chart you've referenced

here he doesn't have to pay anything if the mother can support the child independently (and doesn't want anything from him)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
does that mean that a father would be required to provide support to a child if he was identified, even if the mother didn't need the money to support the child? where would the money go in those cases?

or does that simply name who would have to support the child if the mother was unable to?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:28 pm
@ehBeth,
He has to pay. But; if the mother doesn't want his maintenance (because she can do it), it's fine with everyone.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:28 pm
@ehBeth,
The latter. (And only then, the youth office tries to identify him, if he was't registered.)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Got it.

So if she doesn't need assistance with supporting the child, he doesn't have to pay.

If she needs assistance, he needs to be identified so he can be called on to pay per the law.

That makes sense.
0 Replies