Soros = fool?

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
Soros: Abu Ghraib = September 11

Quote:
Billionaire financier George Soros, the financial power behind a number of anti-Bush movements on the left, today directly compared the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal in Iraq with the terrorist attacks of September 11.

"The picture of torture in Saddam's prison was a moment of truth for us," Soros said Thursday morning in Washington at a meeting of the liberal activist group Campaign for America's Future.

"I think that those pictures hit us the same way as the terrorist attack itself," Soros continued, "not quite with the same force, because in the terrorist attack, we were the victims. In the pictures, we were the perpetrators and others were the victims."

"But there is, I'm afraid, a direct connection between those two events, because the way President Bush conducted the war on terror converted us from victims into perpetrators."

I think Soros has overstepped the boundary on this one. I don't really consider what happened at Abu Ghraib to be ANYWHERE near what happened on 9-11 and is just another example of the left playing to peoples emotions instead of their intellect.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 737 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:34 am
I don't think that he is saying that the events are equal, I think he is saying that they are equal although opposite in their effects. 9/11 garnered a huge wave of international sympathy and support for the US. The Abu Ghraib photos expended that sympathy and greatly diminished the support.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 11:32 am
Re: Soros = fool?
McGentrix wrote:
Soros: Abu Ghraib = September 11

Quote:
Billionaire financier George Soros, the financial power behind a number of anti-Bush movements on the left, today directly compared the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal in Iraq with the terrorist attacks of September 11.

"The picture of torture in Saddam's prison was a moment of truth for us," Soros said Thursday morning in Washington at a meeting of the liberal activist group Campaign for America's Future.

"I think that those pictures hit us the same way as the terrorist attack itself," Soros continued, "not quite with the same force, because in the terrorist attack, we were the victims. In the pictures, we were the perpetrators and others were the victims."

"But there is, I'm afraid, a direct connection between those two events, because the way President Bush conducted the war on terror converted us from victims into perpetrators."

I think Soros has overstepped the boundary on this one. I don't really consider what happened at Abu Ghraib to be ANYWHERE near what happened on 9-11 and is just another example of the left playing to peoples emotions instead of their intellect.

I think you have hit upon a very relevant point about left wing tactics:

They love to appeal to childlike emotions because they have so much disrespect for the intellect of the American public.

I personally happen to believe that these tactics are backfiring on the left as evidenced by the failures of left wing talk shows and TV shows designed to combat the Right.

Hopefully the left will continue to underestimate the ability of the average American to detect liberal phonies from the Northeast. While I admit the American public does not keep well informed about political issues and world events, they have always been able to smell and run from liberal "pie in the sky" fantasies. I give this as an example: " If ahm elected president ah will create 10,000,000 new jobs". I'll give you one guess of "who said that"?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 11:45 am
perception wrote:
Hopefully the left will continue to underestimate the ability of the average American to detect liberal phonies from the Northeast. While I admit the American public does not keep well informed about political issues and world events, they have always been able to smell and run from liberal "pie in the sky" fantasies. I give this as an example: " If ahm elected president ah will create 10,000,000 new jobs". I'll give you one guess of "who said that"?

I love the smell of irony in the morning.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 11:49 am
Good morning Joe
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:

He didn't equate the two <shrugs>

What he said was

a) that the images of 9/11 and those of Abu G. have a similar impact:

Quote:
"I think that those pictures hit us the same way as the terrorist attack itself"

b) that there is a connection in the line of events here, with Bush the connecting switch. On 9/11, Americans were the victims; in Abu G., Americans were the perpetrators; and it was Bush's determination to use the war on terror for launching his war on Iraq that took Americans from 9/11 to Abu G.

Quote:

Now one may not agree with either observation, but there's nothing outrageous going on in 'em ... and no equation of the suffering of 9/11 with that of Abu G.

Perhaps one should have used one's intellect rather than one's emotions before jumping to conclusions ... :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:19 pm
RNC Chairman Statement on George Soros Comments Comparing Abu Ghraib with September 11th

Quote:
Washington, DC-RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie issued the following statement in response to comments made today by John Kerry supporter George Soros comparing prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib prison to the terror attacks on 9-11.

"Abu Ghraib was bad and the soldiers involved are rightly being punished, but for Democrats to say that the abuse of Iraqi fighters is the moral equivalent of the slaughter of 3,000 innocent Americans is outrageous. Their hatred of the President is fueling a blame America first mentality that is troubling."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:41 pm
McGentrix wrote:
RNC Chairman Statement on George Soros Comments Comparing Abu Ghraib with September 11th

Quote:
"Abu Ghraib was bad and the soldiers involved are rightly being punished, but for Democrats to say that the abuse of Iraqi fighters is the moral equivalent of the slaughter of 3,000 innocent Americans is outrageous. Their hatred of the President is fueling a blame America first mentality that is troubling."

LOL!!!!

Yep - if you can't really properly slam them for what they actually said - you can always just make up stuff.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 01:43 pm
What he is saying that to the Muslim community and in particular the Iraqis the sexual degradation especially could be perceived as just as serious as the lives lost on 9/11. That doesn't mean Soros or a great majority of US citizens, especially Christians, are going to believe it is the moral equivalent.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:51 pm
McG, your new sig makes the window all stretched out - beyond where the computer screen is willing to go ...
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 04:29 pm
McG-----Yes and the same on your thread about Geneva----I think I'm correct in saying that only you can can fix it.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:42 pm
I think the guy did go over the top thereby loosing his valid point that after the nine eleven tragedy we had the whole world with us, soon after we had most of the world against us because of our high handedness. The abuse scandal showed the world just what kind of people are in charge of the United States right now and it just further erroded our standing in the world community.

I am reading that book by Bob Woodward and it so depressing that I put it down and picked up a Joanna Lynsey book instead. But it is so obvious just how obessessed the Bush administration was and is about Iraq, it is a sick twisted obession that unfortunetly effects the whole world.

I found an interesting article a while ago that just kind of blew my mind. It seems that the Bush administration had a chance to get Bin Laden from the taliban before the war. I think that is what the article says, I am not sure.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?photoid=/cp/news/top/i/osama_pic135.jpg&idq=/ff/story/0002/20040604/0935099146.htm&floc=NW_1-T
0 Replies

lizzee

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm
I don't think Soros is saying the two events are equivalent, either, and certainly not equivalent point for point. Soros was trying to compare the shock that both events engendered, and how it may have affected how Americans see themselves.

Of more interest to me is the psychology that turns a victim into a perpetrator of abuses. Soros alludes to that as well.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 10:04 pm
Wow, talk about hyperbole and distortion. For starters, Soros is comparing the visual effects of the two events. I know I was horrified - but to a lesser degree - at the prison abuse photos and thus far no one in the admin has been fired for such a fiasco. Typical, but anyhoo.

I'm also lmao at the suggestion it is the left that is supposedly playing on people's emotions rather than intellect.

The right pretty much has a copyright on that, considering how this admin preyed upon the grief and fear of an entire nation to bait and switch a non sensical war with Iraq that has been nothing but chaos and mayhem.
0 Replies