Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 02:44 pm
Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

We must save our children from foolish belief in the supernatural.

Education is the only tool that we have to drag ourselves and our children out of ignorance and superstition and that education should include that it is foolish to read myth literally. No more Dark Ages should be allowed.

Comparative Religion should be taught to insure that no child is lost to creationist intellectual dissonance. We must expose our children to Comparative Religion as soon as they can understand Evolution which would be taught alongside of it.

To do less would be shirking our duty to our children and their young minds. If you do not supports this type of all-inclusive education, please show why you oppose it?

Remember that when President Bush backed up stem cell research, it gave other countries a chance to advance away from the U.S. and hurt the U.S economy.

If the U.S. fails to educate it’s children properly in Comparative Religion and Evolution --- and the various sciences that stem from it, --- the U.S. will shrink it’s economy and power as compared to those countries who have a fuller and more intelligent education program.

Do you agree that it is the duty of the U.S. education system to maintain a first world standard of education in the teaching of Creationism, Comparative Religion and Evolution, --- and catch up to more intelligent countries?

Regards
DL

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 02:48 pm
@Greatest I am,
Science, including evolution, and religious belief does not mix. However, Creationism could conceivably be taught about in a comparative religion class.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 03:04 pm
@Greatest I am,
GrAm (or is it DL), I've felt without much hope that philo and relig ought to be taught starting in grade school

Quote:
We must save our children from foolish belief in the supernatural.
That depends of course on what one means by "supernatural." I see the Big Bang and evolution as perfectly natural processes though of course there's a lot we don't understand about either

So as an apodictical existential pantheist I view the Universe as Her body and all the activity therein as Her thought. Completely free of from the contradiction and paradox of dualism this view might satisfy both the atheist and ardent canonist, attachment of the term "God" being entirely arbitrary

Quote:
If the U.S. fails to educate it’s children properly ….. --- the U.S. will shrink it’s economy and power…...
Very pertinent observation but as I said I don't offer much prospect
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 05:55 am
Religion should be taught in religion class, not science class.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 07:00 am
@Brandon9000,
Religious studies should be taught at school, so young people have basic knowlege regarding most religions.

Religion should be taught at home or in the family place of worship, so that the school may take no blame for any brainwashing.
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 07:09 am
I don't believe teaching doctrine in schools is right for the religious or the non, however religion is a huge part of man's heritage and has a huge influence on society even today. I would rather schools taught about the history and presence of religion, rather than preaching it's credibility, whether for or against.

I echo Lordyaswas sentiments. By all means teach religious studies in school, but religion should be taught at home.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:59 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
And philo too Bran
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:01 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
religion should be taught at home
Smiley why brainwash the kid by the ignorant or fanatical mom and pop
George

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:08 am
@dalehileman,
So a parent who teaches religion to his child is ignorant or fanatical?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:18 am
@George,
So a parent who teaches religion to his child is ignorant or fanatical?

If they don't offer conflicting versions, yes Geo
George

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:26 am
@dalehileman,
We are not talking about offering "conflicting versions". We are talking
about teaching religion. A parent who teaches religion is not therefore
ignorant or fanatical.

Please tell me what you mean by "conflicting versions".
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:36 am
@George,
Quote:
A parent who teaches religion is not therefore
ignorant or fanatical.
Yes, no, sorry Geo, I misunderstood your intention

Quote:
Please tell me what you mean by "conflicting versions".
Another religion at odds with Dad's

Indeed I'd let the parents teach religion though most adults are woefully ignorant about that sort of thing and so it should be up to the school. As I said, kids are 'way smarter than supposed
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:25 pm
My children will NEVER be taught creationism. There is no way any of those brain damaged psychos will ever get the minds of my children.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:15 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
And philo too Bran

What good has Philosophy ever done the human race?
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 06:04 am
@dalehileman,
All parents pass on their world view to their kids be it atheism, theism or an alternate belief system.
To a parent, instilling a set of beliefs in a child is no different to instilling for instance the green cross code. This goes for both theists and atheists alike. We "brainwash" our children to believe 2+2=4 or that in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue, because we believe it to be true. Parents who believe their own world view to be true, will always teach their children accordingly.

Testing the marker here, should a parent teach a child also that he can choose the cultural law or moral code he or she wishes to from around the world?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:44 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
What good has Philosophy ever done the human race?
Bran I see philo in a broader sense where all of use it every day, largely to our advantage
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 10:46 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
should a parent teach a child also that he can choose
Yes Sm, Dad or preferable 1st-grade teach
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 01:21 pm
@dalehileman,
My friend, I agree with your sentiment, however it interests me as to where the lines are.
To what degree can a parent teach his child right and wrong before he encroaches his child's right to choose for his self?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 02:10 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
To what degree can a parent teach his child right and wrong before he encroaches his child's right to choose for his self?
Good q, Smi. Books could be written, what can I say
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2014 02:41 pm
@Smileyrius,
You're 100% wrong in my case. I've never told my children that a god either does or doesn't exist. They'll be free to make their own decisions. But I certainly won't be getting them any religious education while they're minds are still so malleable.