Lott, still a good ole boy or just a token?

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 02:54 pm
from today's New York Times:

ASHINGTON, Jan. 3 - Senator Trent Lott lost his job as Republican leader, but his colleagues said today that they had devised a plan to offer him a committee chairmanship and allow him to return to Congress next week a step above a rank-and-file member.

Several Republican senators said Mr. Lott would be offered the chairmanship of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee next week, a position with few policy duties but one with significant jurisdiction over the organization of the Senate. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who was in line for the post, plans to step aside to make room for Mr. Lott, they said, while maintaining his role as the Senate's No. 3 Republican.

a couple of ways to decipher this news: (1)Hey, Trent we needed a sacrifice for the media but its all just for show. or (2) Long term depts get paid back one way or another.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,488 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 03:07 pm
dyslexia- How 'bout "Both of the Above"? Razz
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 03:45 pm
Depends what he does with the post -- cronyism in politics isn't going to die anytime soon.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 03:57 pm
L.W. you might be absolutely correct and it also might be a message to the good ole boys of the confederacy that they are still beloved.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:04 pm
That would be a direct betrayal of what he said after the incident -- in my opinion, a polticial suicide. However, so many things are performed in the stealth mode in politics, it's difficult to discern what the message is until it's too late. Will he be under scrutiny by the black caucaus, the media and the general public? I believe so, at least for the next years after which he might just meld into the woodwork.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:05 pm
(I left out the Democrats in general as it didn't seem to bother them all that much -- or we're they watching out for their own neck?)
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:07 pm
I agree with Phoenix. Why not both of them? Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:09 pm
L.G. you are right (my opinion) about the future of Lott in the Senate, what i was feebly saying is that the party itself (members of the house and senate) don't want to lose the southern white base that elected Lott and this is there attempt at balming the ouch of Lott.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:31 pm
"They're attempting" is the key phrase. I don't believe that such a political ploy will go unnoticed -- he's already accomplished losing a lot of the Afro-American vote. That's one way politics works -- establishing where one might win or lose and then following the course that will lose the least votes. I think the GOP realizes the incident as set their propaganda back ten years or more and will have to rehone their strategy.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:40 pm
Lott's future seems dismal.
I agree with the poster, who inferred he may not be able to choose breakfast without the Black Caucus questioning his choices.

Also, watching the local news in MS showed much disgust at their Senator. Even though he has dragged alot of pork home, I think, if blacks go to the polls, Senator Lott may be looking for another job.

About the GOP's handling of Lott re:chairmanship. He fell on his sword for the good of their party. He could've dragged it out and shot the GOP in the foot. Remember, Lott is not a one-dimensional Senator. He is knowledgable and experienced, in addition to whatever his remarks revealed.

In truth, I think the 'deal' for chairmanship was probably on the table before he stepped down as leader.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 04:52 pm
In truth, I think the 'deal' for chairmanship was probably on the table before he stepped down as leader.

bet thats right!!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 05:08 pm
I'm of two minds about this. The deal on the table move was obvious. They couldn't afford to have Lott leave the Senate under any conditions. The balance is very precarious, and most likely, had Lott left, the democratic governor would have named a democrat. But then, as the NY Times said, Lott was not senior enough, and the Senators slotted for the important chairs were certainly not about to relinguish any. So, Lott has a committee. But he'll no longer be important. Will this be enough to satisfy him? And what deal was made with Santorum, who is one of the most ambitious ones they have? I can't see him giving up his seat without a promise of something in return.

Politics. Ain't we got fun?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 05:23 pm
I don't think any serious minded politico believed Lott's comments were enough to push him from the Senate. MS owns that right.

Santorum (sp) looks like a serious future "It" guy for the GOP. I think his future is so bright, he's gotta wear shades.

He may have been a good, dutiful boy, knowing in the future, it will be remembered.
0 Replies