All roads all the time

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 11:26 am
This is cool! A site that lists all the roads in north america. Descriptions of the terrain, the roads.... facts about speed limits, on and off-ramps, points of interest..... Love it!

US Roads
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,739 • Replies: 27
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 01:22 pm
Great site k...and can I tell you...I found this link most amusing, and giving some insight to the whole Somerville vortex problem?

http://www.geocities.com/chesler.geo/signs/index.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 01:42 pm
Haha! That's great Cass.

I wonder if there's a way to capture on film how rte 28N on cape cod goes any which way but North for miles and miles.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:17 am
Or how while driving South on 128 you are also driving North on 93/95
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:29 am
Quinn - that's one heck of a funny link. I can hardly wait to actually bring a car to Somerville. I'll have to take a long holiday and just follow those signs around in circles and circles.

I particularly liked the one which had 2 south and 1 north sign for the same ramp.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:34 am
See, now that's why people think we're bad drivers.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:36 am
Yeah, you can find this stuff just about everywhere....its pretty interesting for tourists and transplants
pretty interesting for those of us that have been here so long we still get lost
its amazing actually
I really liked the one where the 93 or 95 sign was hidden...thats helpful
The old signs hanging out are interesting to...you must look for the little 4" sign on the bottom of the snow emergency sign to figure out thats the right you must take for a major highway....ugh
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 11:37 am
Taking all of this into consideration actually shows how good of drivers we are jeeshh Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 01:30 pm
quinn1 wrote:
Taking all of this into consideration actually shows how good of drivers we are jeeshh Wink

That's right!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:05 am
Highway 1 in California is a great drive. It's the coastal route, and you pass many beautiful landscapes. c.i.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:28 am
I love northern drivers! And am very thankful that my Dad (native New Yorker) taught me how to drive.

Florida is extremely easy to navigate.....yet, we have the WORST drivers!

Looking forward to checking the site out!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 07:40 am
Rae- You just HAD to bring up Florida drivers, GRRRR IMO, they are the WORST. In my area we have the little old ladies in Cadillacs and Lincoln Town cars, who can't see over the steering wheel, and drive at 25 mph in a 45 mph zone. Then you have the locals, in their pickup trucks, who, being pissed off at the little old ladies, cut in and out, at very high rates of speed.

On I 75, where the speed limit is 70, I sometimes go 80, and get passed in the dust. Then you have the illegals, who probably have no insurance. They drive the same monster cars as the little old ladies, but their cars are 20-25 years old, and usually belch white smoke. They drive v-e-r-y
s-l-o-w-l-y, so as not to be stopped by a cop.

Don't start me on the roads in Florida, where the signs are often a couple of feet from an exit, so by the time that you see it, you've already passed it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:42 am
I love northern drivers, being one myself. Everywhere you go there are bad drivers. In New Mexico everyone drove slow and spacy as if on pot. Road rules were options. In the S. East, everytime someone did something really dumb, I'd look at the plate and they'd be from one of (I can't remember which) the Carolinas. Boston, well, Boston is infamous, but I think we drive well given the circumstances.

Anyone ever been to italy?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:57 am
being a native of the southwest and having friends from Leeds in northern England that came to visit for their first time in the US, so i take them on a 3 week tour of the 4 corners (side trip to Las Vegas) and coming through Monument Valley we get stopped on the highway as a cattle drive goes through. Seems as though in England, highways don't get closed for cattle drives so it was an unusual expereince for them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:37 am
I fell in love with those cattle stops they lay down in the road - simple and effective.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:58 am
kinda like a moose I would think
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:59 am
a moose?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:12 am
Rolling Eyes

You've never had to stop and wait for a moose?

I must just be lucky.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:25 am
Sorry, Phoenix! Ya just knew it would get out eventually though, right?

In Florida, at least, I've had to stop for turtles, gators and panthers.

A few years ago, some idiot was shining a halogen light on a protected nest of turtles (as they were hatching) and the babies all walked up on to Highway A1A ~ out of 436 turtles, I think only seven were killed. Before the Sea Turtle Society could get out there, most of the little ones had been rescued by people who stopped.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:35 am
Moose are a LOT bigger than cows. A lot LOT LOT bigger.
0 Replies