http://www.jokeemail.com/pictures/meetings.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,433 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:40 pm
He he, President and VP are in town for a meeting, I printed it and showed it to a co-worker and she convinced me not to bring copies to the meeting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 03:32 pm
Oh my! That is SO true of where I am working right now. Well - at some levels it is.

Mind you, it is hard to make decisions where it is blindingly obvious what you need to do - and you are responsible for the welfare of the most vulnerable children in the state - but there isn't enough money to DO any of those things.

Thing is, I think such absolute brick walls need to be conveyed to the lap of the Minister responsible - whose job it is, poor bastard, to make treasury loosen its purse strings - but, to do that would be "a career limiting decision" as I am told when I get 'ornery. "I don't HAVE a career here" I say "Let ME do it!" - "Yes, but WE do" say they.

Of course, if the Minister demanded what was needed from treasury, HE would have a limited career.

This appears to me to be the epitome of frustration.

But - we always have meetings....

Mind you, lower down, meetings mean ACTION - so my world is a strange place of dizzying demand, and horrific paralysis...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:23 pm
this is funny. i just want to know how and why humans have evolved (?) to this point.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:46 pm
My workplace is not like that at all.

I work in the graphics department of the marketing division of one of the largest financial companies worldwide. Finance companies basically tolerate the in-house graphics people as a necessary evil. Combine that with the corporate bureacracy and red tape, and you see how our department might get a little neglected.

Sometimes it's like our department doesn't even exist. I think my boss has finally given up trying to get anything done at all. We have about two or three meetings a year.

It's kind of a stagnant work environment, but at least we don't have too many meetings.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:52 pm
anyone here ever seen the movie "Putney Swope"?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:13 pm
go van peebles go van peebles
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 04:49 am
"You can't eat an air-conditioner."

One of my gripes about current management is the total lack of meetings. Y'know, mushroom mamagement: keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em fertilizer.

That changes in two weeks. I'm leaving for another company. One that is way, way too small to have meetings!

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. (We don't get fooled again.)"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:14 am
I hope it goes swimmingly, Seal!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:25 am
go SP go SP go SP
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:32 am
I always avoided meetings like the plague. And let it be known how much I hated them. At my last 9-5, as the only designer on staff, it got to a point where I didn't have to go to the weekly meetings anymore. I was always "too busy". Maybe it's a designer's privilege, eh kicky? ha-ha-ha
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:36 am
Geeze, SealPoet, we're too small to have meetings, too. We are big enough for the mushroom syndrome to manifest.

Lot'sa luck with the new one.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:12 am
Thanks all... I'll start a thread sooner or later about it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 10:19 am
eoe wrote:
I always avoided meetings like the plague. And let it be known how much I hated them. At my last 9-5, as the only designer on staff, it got to a point where I didn't have to go to the weekly meetings anymore. I was always "too busy". Maybe it's a designer's privilege, eh kicky? ha-ha-ha

A designer, huh? I should have known. That stylish avatar and all . . . must a' been nice having that kind of autonomy.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:06 pm
It was. I figure, if you can, train them before they train you.
0 Replies