BMW Introduces Its First Rolls Royce

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:32 am
German carmaker BMW on Friday introduced the Rolls Royce "Phantom," it's first vehicle produced under the British brand since it was bought by BMW. The model, shown at BMW's new purpose-built Goodwood factory in Britain, runs on a 6.75 liter motor and can reach speeds of 240 kilometers per hour. The Phantom can accelerate from 0 to 100 kilometers per hour in just six seconds. According to reports, BMW plans to produce 1,000 Phantoms each year with a price tag of 250,000 British pounds ($401,987). BMW took over production from its rival, Volkswagen, in August.

Since the webside of "Rolls Royce Motor Cars Ltd" wont be launched until the forthcoming Monday, 6thJanuary to coincident with the public launch of this new car at the Detroit Motor Show, here is the lik for the

Rolls Royce (BMW) Motor Cars

BTW: Another German firm, Volkswagen, produces one of the other most famous British cars, the Bentleys:

Bentley Continental

Bentley (VW) main page
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,150 • Replies: 22
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 01:25 pm
There's rich irony in German Ownership of Rolls Royce and Bentley Marques, isn't there?

timber
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 01:30 pm
Actually, why, timber?
(Because Bentley is now a "common people's car" [= Volkswagen]?)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 01:41 pm
Not so much the "common people's" thing, if at all. I find it an odd juxtaposition of history. Rolls Royce for over a century was almost a symbol of British Aristocratic statement, nearly on a par with The Crown itself. Double-R engineering, and Rolls Royce Engines, in particular, were of major inhibiting influence on German Early-Twentieth Century aspirations. I was thinking more along the lines of "If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em"

timber
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 01:59 pm
Well, that wasn't exactly the point, when the corporation entered bankruptcy on Feb. 4, 1971!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 02:06 pm
it seems to all be international conglomerates anyway hardly matter what the nameplate says
0 Replies

Bill de Berg

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:25 am
I'm just as unlikely to buy a R-R or Bentley as I am to buy a BMW/VW, though for completely different reasons.

Now maybe if M-B didn't have the Maybach in the offing, and had had to resort to buying the prestige that their own model ranges weren't capable of I might just see myself in the new Continental.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:09 am
Ya ain't putting no VW logo on the hood of my Bentley!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:56 pm
http://www.bmclimo.com/images/rolls_royce_hood_ornament.jpg
That might look pretty snazzy on a VW, though :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:00 pm
It does look nice (actually I've taken some photos myself, but where are they ....):

http://www.ltv-vwc.org.uk/W_Spin/ws_may_2000/VW_rolls.jpg
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:01 pm
Man, leave it up to the European for styling. The Japanese may have the reliability, but they are constantly looking to the Euros for inspiration in styling.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:29 pm
Irony file: In WW2, the Spitfire was powered by the Merlin engine, a supercharged SOHC V-12 making anywhere from 1100 (Mk I) to 2050 (Mk XVI) horsepower. It was built by Rolls-Royce. The German Bf-109 was powered by the DB603/605, a turbocharged SOHC inverted V-12 making anywhere from ~1000 (109a) to 2000 (109k) horsepower. It was built by Daimler-Benz.

In addition, the Merlin was modified to power tanks (as the 700HP Pegasus, IIRC), bombers (notably, the de Havilland Mosquito), & torpedo boats. The DB605 powered several verieties of bomber (He-111, He-177), and was cloned to power a Japanese fighter (the Ki-61, codenamed "Tony").

Now, DB owns Rolls-Royce.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:28 pm
Another amusing tidbit is that R-R's first automatic transmission was licensed from General Motors. Having determined the sample and development examples provided by GM for test purposes indeed met RR's performance and reliability requirements, they tooled up to build their own. With typical RR attention to detail and passion for excellence in manufacturing, their version was machined with gleaming, smooth internal channels for fluid circulation, as opposed to the rough and apparently indifferently and cheaply finished manufacturing process employed in the actual GM transmissions. The result was less than satisfactory; the almost microscopically roughened interior surfacing of the circulating channels was not a cost-cutting design cheat, it was necessary to prevent air within the system from coalescing into bubbles and causing the heated, circulating-under-load fluid from foaming, a condition which prevented the transmision from functioning. Adjustments in the manufacturing process followed, as did some embarrassment in RR's design and manufacturing departments.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:53 pm
It was a clone of GM's TH-400, IIRC. I think the cars with the 6.75 litre V8 used GM trannies--first the TH400, then the 4L80E.

And what's up with the dancing thing?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:32 pm
What dancing thing?
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:10 am
The now-gone hamster avatar.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:16 am
Oh, what the heck ... not to spoil the fun or anything, but that was an April Fool prank ... did you forget what day it was? Laughing
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:40 am
BMW don't own the aero engine division of Rolls Royce.
As far as I'm aware that's still in the hands of the parent company Vickers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:08 am
Well, the one company is called 'Rolls Royce Motor Cars Limited' [1998
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars was sold by Vickers to Volkswagen, although BMW hold the rights to the name and the marque for use on Rolls-Royce cars, having acquired the rights from Rolls-Royce plc for £40m in 1998. BMW took over responsibility for Rolls-Royce cars from the beginning of 2003], the other 'Rolls-Royce plc' [Allen Gears, Clayton Equipment, Marine Electrical Systems, Powerfield: Energy Solutions, Rolls-Royce Germany, Rolls-Royce North America, Rolls-Royce Power Ventures, Rolls-Royce Singapore, Sourcerer and Syncrolift Inc.].

My original post was just related to the first company.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:37 am
I always wanted a Rolls!
(I know, not a helpful contribution to the topic, but it needed to be said)!
0 Replies