Are there any peaceful muslim nations?

vikorr

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:19 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Their plight - along with that of Pakistan's other religious minorities, such as Shiite Muslims and Hindus - has deepened in recent years as hard-line interpretations of Islam have gained ground and militants have stepped up attacks against groups they oppose.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/higgs-hero-shunned-over-religion/story-fnd12peo-1226420703568
vikorr

Sun 22 Jul, 2012 06:28 pm
@vikorr,
On March 12, Sheik Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah, the grand mufti of Saudi Arabia, declared that it is “necessary to destroy all the churches of the region.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/16/destroy-all-churches/

the Grand Mufti is among the Muslim world’s leading authorities. He is President of the Supreme Council of Ulema [Islamic scholars] and Chairman of the Standing Committee for Scientific Research and Issuing of Fatwas, according to the Middle East Forum’s Raymond Ibrahim.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/03/23/time_to_air_muslim_violence_against_christians_113595.html

Ongoing attacks on Nigerian Christians by the Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram are “unprovoked and unconscionable,” said Congressman Chris Smith (R-N.J.), who chairs the U.S. House subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, and Human Rights.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/congressional-hearing-examines-violence-against-christians-in-nigeria/

Boko Haram Declares Christians Will 'Not Know Peace'
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2012/July/Boko-Haram-Takes-Credit-for-Nigeria-Village-Attacks/

vikorr

Sat 15 Sep, 2012 01:43 am
@vikorr,
Following the killing of the American Envoy in Libya over a movie...
Quote:
Islamic protest in the streets of Sydney from Hyde Park to George Streets.

Protesters, including children, held signs saying, "Behead all those who insult the prophet" and "Obama Obama, we love Osama", and threw objects from construction sites and water bottles at police officers.

Police responded by spraying capsicum spray into the crowd.

The video Innocence of Muslims was produced in the US but has been condemned by US Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton, who said the film had nothing to do with the government, and it emerged the clip was a trailer for a movie that did not exist.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/police-use-pepper-spray-on-anti-islamic-film-protesters-in-sydney-at-the-us-consulate/story-fndo1uez-1226474744811

There's previous for similar behaviour as well, in death Threats issued to the Dutch cartoonists a year or two back, and death threats against Salman Rushdie back in the 80's (of course just the main ones I recall).

I'm sure anyone can do a google on to 'death threats/riots/killed mocking the prophet'
vikorr

Mon 17 Sep, 2012 04:24 pm
@vikorr,
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/sydney-sheik-stirs-the-hatred/story-fndo1uez-1226476066456
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/09/17/1226476/068434-event-sheik.jpg
Quote:
Sydney cleric Sheik Feiz Mohammed stirs the hatred

A CONTROVERSIAL sheik whose teachings have been linked to the Sydney riot is due to address a gathering of hardline Muslims tomorrow about their "responsibilities" in the wake of the YouTube clip mocking their prophet.

Hundreds of hardcore Islamists are due to converge on the Bukhari House bookshop-cum-prayer hall in Auburn to hear firebrand cleric Sheik Feiz Mohammed and several other sheiks speak. Police are aware of the event but would not comment yesterday on whether they would have a presence at the meeting.

"The Mashayakh (sheiks) will discuss the recent events that have been taking place where our beloved Prophet (peace be upon him) has been attacked and mocked. They will discuss our responsibilities regarding this matter," a pamphlet promoting the "special event" states.

It can be revealed that militant followers of Sheik Feiz were key players in Saturday's riot. The Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaah (ASWJ) and the self-styled Islamic Brotherhood Worldwide are believed to be behind a text message circulated late on Friday night bringing forward the protest and catching moderate Islamic community groups and police off guard.

The sermons of Sheik Feiz, 42, have often denounced other religions and he has urged children to die for Islam.

In 2000, he founded the Global Islamic Centre in Liverpool which became the touchstone of Muslim youth in southwestern Sydney and spawned the Islamic Brotherhood Worldwide. In 2007, the sheik established the Dawah Central centre in Auburn.

In 2010, it became the ASWJ Auburn and the group has several other locations around Sydney and Australia.

According to company documents, Feiz's last known address was a $575,000 rural retreat in the Southern Highlands with its own "fish-filled" dam, inground pool, games room with bar and separate self-contained flat.

The Australian-born sheik, a former boxer, was at one time the director of a company that built kitchen cabinets on Sydney's northern beaches. He almost represented Australia in the sport of bodybuilding but quit to follow the path of Islam.

He gained notoriety for blaming women for being rape victims and for his "Death Series" $150 boxed set of 15 DVDs which contained racist rants. The father-of-six, who claimed he was being persecuted for being a Muslim, returned to Sydney from self-imposed exile overseas in 2010.

Other notable comments from the sheik include his belief that jihad is the "peak, the pinnacle, the crest, the highest point" of Islam and the Kaffir - or non-Muslim - is "the worst word ever written, a sign of infidelity, disbelief, filth, a sign of dirt".
vikorr

Sat 22 Sep, 2012 01:57 pm
@vikorr,
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/australias-high-commission-in-islamabad-pakistan-shut-over-fears-of-violent-protests-over-anti-islam-film/story-fnd12peo-1226478948912
Quote:
A PAKISTANI minister has offered a $US100,000 ($95,500) bounty for the death of the maker of the anti-Islam film that sparked violent protests across the Muslim world.

"I announce today that this blasphemer who has abused the holy prophet, if somebody will kill him, I will give that person a prize of $100,000," said Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmed Bilour said, also inviting members of the Taliban and al-Qaida to take part in the "noble deed".

Protests against the film, which mocks Islam and was made by extremist Christians, have erupted across the Muslim world, leading to more than 50 deaths since the first demonstrations on September 11.
……….
More than 5000 protesters marched towards the parliament in Islamabad, including hundreds of women, chanting "We love our Holy Prophet" and "Punishment for those who humiliated our Prophet".

Some 1500 people from the hardline Islamist Jamaat-ud-Dawa and Sunni religious groups rallied in front of the US consulate in the eastern city of Lahore, chanting "The US deserves only one remedy - jihad, jihad".

Hundreds gathered in the southwestern city of Quetta, calling for the makers of the film to be killed while scores in Peshawar, where six people died in Friday's protests, chanted anti-US slogans.
………….
In Nigeria, tens of thousands of people have protested in the second city of Kano, burning images of US President Barack Obama and stomping on the American flag to denounce an anti-Islam film made in the US.

A crowd that included men, children and veiled women stretched for several kilometres through the city, the largest in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, condemning the film that has stirred outrage across the Muslim world.

They shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam," in a rally that ended with no reported incidents of violence but caused gridlock in the city of roughly 4.5 million people.
……..
But it is Pakistan that has seen the most sustained violence, driven by a deep well of anti-American sentiment and a strong cadre of hard-line Islamists who benefit from stoking anger at the US. The new deaths brought the total to at least 51 - including the US ambassador to Libya - linked to violence over the film.
0 Replies

heresince89

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 12:38 pm
@no logo,
Malaysia banned the film Babe and probably pig in the city too....It's not on. Also the level of physical violence in a country doesn't measure it's overall level of insensibility...take North Korea for example. Although I know nothing about Malaysia because I've never lived there so it could be wonderfully peacefull. But I think any sort of censorship is shifty....especially over a talking pig.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 5 Oct, 2012 12:45 pm
@vikorr,
Like wiping Israel off the map, I'm sure this is either one of those translation errors, or simply misunderstood.
0 Replies

snj

Mon 1 Jul, 2013 09:55 am
@CerealKiller,
yes,there are some like UAE,Saudi Arabia etc
0 Replies

snj

Mon 1 Jul, 2013 10:01 am
@vikorr,
You are simply talking nuts,Vikorr
auroreII

Mon 1 Jul, 2013 07:01 pm
The following is my opinion. I believe in God and the bible.

Religion, all religions, can be taken to extremes. One extreme is strict adherence to God's laws/ commandments. We need the law. Without the law we fall into lawlessness and chaos. We also need a just God because without that there is no strength in the law.

Christians believe that only God is perfect. People are not perfect therefore people cannot hope to live up to the perfection of religions that require strict adherence to law. Like Islam, Christianity has the law, but it also has forgiveness in the person of Jesus.

Christians are told not to judge. Because only God is perfect, when we judge ourselves righteous and condemn another for being unrighteous we have become self righteous. How can we be righteous if we are not perfect? If we are not perfect then we must all be sinners. Interestingly enough this makes us all equal in the eyes of God. When we condemn another for their sinful behavior we agree with the law that says sinners are deserving of punishment, but at the same time aren't we are also condemning ourselves because we, like them, are not perfect. When we do something wrong that is deserving of punishment don't we hope for leniency and mercy for ourselves. Knowing that, should we not then show this same love and forgiveness toward others? When we claim self righteousness and pass judgement on others aren't we setting ourselves up on the throne of judgement, a seat reserved only for God.

The end result of christianity is love. The bible gives us two commandments. That we love God and that we love our neighbors as ourselves. Even if we don't know or understand the law as presented to us in the commandments most everyone can understand what it means to be loved. We also have the person of Christ who is our perfect example and embodies these two commandments in all that he does.

Religious extemists often demand strict adherence to the law. The law does not allow for forgiveness. Religions that only have the law use their religious laws to justify their right to condemn another and because people are not perfect a reason can always be found to judge others as less righteous and therefore worthy of punishment under the law. Those who are condemned may very well be guilty of having broken the law -in large part because people are not perfect. Those who follow the law may seek to prove themselves righteous, yet being imperfect and therefore also falling short of the perfection the law demands, they can never find righteousness through the law. They are then apt to seek selfrighteousness by pointing out the faults of others and meting out punishment. They are always looking for faults in others to condemn so they can feel righteous. In christianity Jesus is the forgiveness for an imperfect world. He was perfect/righteous. He died. He did not deserve to die under the law. He died in our place to fulfill what was required of the law that we might live not under the law, but under grace, God's love and forgiveness.

Extremists will hold a gun to the head of others demanding that others believe or die. Knowing that you are going to die may make believers out of some, but I doubt God wants those kinds of believers. Which do you believe God would value more: Praises offered to him that have been forced by threats and cohersions, praises that make a big show of piety and offerings in order to prove how righteousness a person is, or praises offered from a humble heart full of love and respect for God?

Was it religious self righteousness that drove Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to kill an eight year old boy, three young college girls and a security guard?

Here is wikipedia's definition of jihad: Jihad:an Islamic term, is a religious duty of Muslims. In Arabic, the word jihad translates as a noun meaning "struggle". Within the context of Islam it refers to struggle against those who do not believe in Islamic God (Allah).
Jihad is commonly misunderstood as "Holy War", Jihad means "to struggle in the way of Allah"... Jihad is an important religious duty for Muslims...There are two commonly accepted meanings of jihad: an inner spiritual struggle and an outer physical struggle. The "greater jihad" is the inner struggle by a believer to fulfill his religious duties. This non-violent meaning is stressed by both Muslim and non-Muslim authors.
The "lesser jihad" is the physical struggle against the enemies of Islam. This physical struggle can take a violent form or a non-violent form. The proponents of the violent form translate jihad as "holy war", although some Islamic studies scholars disagree. The Dictionary of Islam and British-American orientalist Bernard Lewis both argue jihad has a military meaning in the large majority of cases. Some scholars maintain non-violent ways to struggle against the enemies of Islam. An example of this is written debate, often characterized as "jihad of the pen".
According to the BBC, a third meaning of jihad is the struggle to build a good society."

It would seem to me that jihad is extremist muslims' excuse for justifying their constant warring and exacting punishment on believers and nonbelievers. I fear for them that they are setting themselves up on God's seat of judgement.

Religious extremists, in their zeal to obtain righteousness for themselves under the law, can exact their punishment for misdeeds at any time. People are not perfect, only God is perfect. There can be no sense of peace only a fear that religious extremists may turn their judgement on you next.

You can find religious extremists in all religions. I follow Jesus. He is my peace. I find it truly amazing the way God, through his son, has set up his plan of forgiveness, love and peace.

I recently read the book Reading Lolita in Tehran. It is about Islamic women in Tehran and the religious extremists, under the Ayatollah, who took over the country after the revolution. The women the book was written about had great devotion to God, but not so much love for their extremist islamic government. I was shocked at the fear they were forced to live under. The book talks about how women in Iran were forced to live with a dress code where they had to become invisible behind scarves and veils. If they didn't adhere strictly (or even sometimes if they did) to the code/law they could be accused by a man of trying to sexually excite them then be thrown into jail where they could be beaten and raped. (Thank goodness in America women are not blamed for a man's lack of self control. We expect a man to show self control.)

The recent arrest of Crawford and Feight, who wanted to kill muslims with radiation, shows just another example of self righteousness. As you can see you can find extremists in follwers of all beliefs. It is interesting what U.S. Attorney Richard Hartunian said about the incident, "This case demonstrates how we must remain vigilant to detect and stop potential terrorists, who so often harbor hatred toward people they deem undesirable." Regardless of their beliefs there will be people who will judge others as undesirable, and worthy of punishment and/or death.
Islam, especially jihad, seems to me to promote this violent behavior. I believe islam to be a violent religion. That is just my opinion.
0 Replies

vikorr

Thu 4 Jul, 2013 03:03 pm
@snj,
I didn't even realise this thread was still going on. You do note I actually posted a multitude of information - not mine - that actually backed up what I was saying (after being asked to back up my position).

I also haven't seen anyone point out (logically) anything wrong with what I said. There's been plenty of name calling on the part of those who disagree - but no ability to articulate how what I've said is wrong.
0 Replies

rock28

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:38 pm
since the past there have been so many crimes which are the result of having different religions..have a look at the countrys having higher proportion of atheists,they are more peaceful and happy countries..no religion can give peace if its aim.is to outnumber the other religion or to prove that their religion is better than the other.
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 18 Nov, 2013 01:31 pm
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2013/September/Fear-Lingers-after-Egypts-Anti-Christian-Attacks/Fear Lingers after Egypt's Anti-Christian Attacks
Quote:
Nearly one month after a wave of attacks against churches in Egypt, Christians in the governorate of Minya, one of the hardest hit areas, are still in fear for their lives.

An Anglican church in the Minya village of Mallawi was one of more than 130 churches and Christian institutions attacked.

0 Replies

auroreII

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:04 pm
http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2013/11/20/muslims-enforcing-sharia-law-on-the-streets-of-the-uk-using-extreme-violence/

militants in US
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:14 pm
Quote:
Where Islam is "Misunderstood"

For some very odd reason, the perfect religion of Islam
is routinely "misunderstood" each and every day.
Since 9/11 terrorism in the name of Allah occurs in:

India and the Sudan and Algeria and New York and Pakistan and Israel and Russia and Chechnya and the Philippines and Indonesia and Nigeria and England and Thailand and Spain and Egypt and Bangladesh and Saudi Arabia and Turkey and Morocco and Yemen and Arkansas and France and Uzbekistan and Gaza and Tunisia and Kosovo and Bosnia and Mauritania and Kenya and Eritrea and Syria and Somalia and California and Kuwait and Virginia and Ethiopia and Georgia and Jordan and United Arab Emirates and Louisiana and Texas and Tanzania and Illinois and Australia and Pennsylvania and Belgium and Denmark and East Timor and Qatar and Maryland and Tajikistan and the Netherlands and Afghanistan and Chad and Canada and China and Nepal and the Maldives and Argentina and Mali and Angola and the Ukraine and Uganda and North Carolina and Germany and Arizona and Lebanon and Iran and Kazakhstan and Sweden and Azerbaijan and Iraq and Scotland and Macedonia and Bulgaria and Cameroon and Massachusetts and...

...and pretty much wherever Islam is taken seriously:

"O ye who believe! Fight those of the disbelievers who
are near to you, and let them find harshness in you,
and know that Allah is with those who keep their duty"
Qur'an, Sura 9:123
0 Replies

vikorr

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 12:50 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents
You'll find a year by year listing a little down the page.

That list also contains the group alleged to have carried out the attacks.

Comment : A large number on that list are attacks involved in civil wars, and much doesn't. Many, even in civil wars, are clearly terrorist attacks (many Boko Haram attacks spring to mind). It also includes some terrorist attacks by ruling govt forces. The list appears to ignore the question 'what is a freedom fighter, and what is not?'.
0 Replies

Jesussaves

Mon 20 Jan, 2014 05:59 pm
@dagmaraka,
Before making comments about any religion you should first study it, then you can make an educated comment. I can tell you are not educated in the Christian belief due to your comments.

You cannot take a verse and just twist it to make it mean or what you THINK it means.... In order to understand the Bible you must also have a fundamental understanding of Jewish life during the time period that the Bible(Old and New) was written.

You have obviously never read the entire Bible, therefore your comment is meaningless.
0 Replies

vikorr

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:17 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam
Quote:
Apostasy in Islam (Arabic: ردة‎ riddah, literally means: "relapse" or "regress" but usually translates to "apostasy", or ارتداد irtidād) is commonly defined in Islam as the rejection in word or deed of one's former religion (apostasy) by a person who was previously a follower of Islam. Islamic scholarship differs on the appropriate punishment for the apostate (or murtad مرتد ), which ranges from execution – based on an interpretation of certain hadiths – to no punishment at all as long as they do not rebel against the Islamic society or religion.[1] The majority of Muslim scholars hold to the traditional view that apostasy is punishable by death or imprisonment until repentance, at least for adult men of sound mind.[2][3][4] Several contemporary Muslim scholars, including influential Islamic reformers have rejected this, arguing for religious freedom instead.[3][5][6][7] Converts from Islam to Christianity have likewise criticized the traditional position.[8] According to Islamic law apostasy is identified by a list of actions such as conversion to another religion, denying the existence of God, rejecting the prophets, mocking God or the prophets, idol worship, rejecting the sharia, or permitting behavior that is forbidden by the sharia, such as adultery or the eating of forbidden foods or drinking of alcoholic beverages.[9][10
0 Replies

vikorr

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:18 pm
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/sudanese-christian-woman-meriam-yahia-ibrahim-ishag-who-was-sentenced-to-hang-has-been-rearrested-trying-to-leave-the-country/story-fnihsmjt-1226965756682
Quote:
A SUDANESE Christian woman has been arrested at Khartoum airport a day after a court annulled her death sentence and released her from prison, a source familiar with the incident says.....

....Born to a Muslim father and an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian mother, Ishag was convicted under Islamic sharia law that has been in force in Sudan since 1983 and outlaws conversions on pain of death.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27998881
Quote:
The US says it is working with Sudan to ensure a woman freed from death row can leave the country, amid confusion over whether she is still being held.

Meriam Ibrahim was detained at Khartoum airport, then apparently released....

Even though Mrs Ibrahim was brought up as an Orthodox Christian, the authorities considered her to be a Muslim because that is the religion of her father....

She had been sentenced in May to hang for renouncing Islam - sparking widespread outrage at home and abroad - but was released from jail on Monday....
vikorr

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:26 pm
@vikorr,
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/asio-report-says-there-are-great-dangers-from-radical-islamists/story-fni0ffxg-1226752319068

Quote:
"This year ASIO . . . investigated several hundred mostly Australia-based individuals who are advocates of a violent Islamist ideology."

In fact, we already have 20 Muslims jailed for terrorism-related offences and ASIO fears more may come: "There has been an increase in Australians travelling overseas to participate in terrorist training or engage in foreign disputes - Syria is the primary destination...

Nor is the danger just from the 80 or so Australian Muslims fighting in Syria, or others who've trained or fought in Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen. There are also the ticking bombs at home, fired up by messages pumped into their homes over the internet.

"The threat of homegrown terrorism is of significant concern," says ASIO, citing the Boston Marathon bombings and the London jihadists who slaughtered a British soldier. "In Australia, there are individuals and small groups who believe an attack here is justified."

List of terrorist incidents & convictions in Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Australia
0 Replies