Interstellar, the Movie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 12:50 pm
We saw "Interstellar" yesterday. I had been looking forward to it for a long, long time. I was a little fearful that it would be just another big budget movie with no plot and/or poor production values. I loved "Batman Begins" and "The Prestige" by the same director, but I despised "The Dark Knight Rises" and "Man of Steel" by him. However, I liked this movie a lot. That is not to say it was without flaws, but, on the whole, I thought it was good, hard core sci-fi. Also, they got the physics right, more so than I have seen in a long time, although they did seem to be perpetuating the standard confusion regarding what a galaxy is. Also, one or two plot elements struck me as improbable, but only one or two. On the whole, I'd give it a thumbs up. Side note: it has very interesting robots.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,220 • Replies: 23
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 02:46 pm
@Brandon9000,
Thanks for the review. I almost saw it today but decided to wait until next week instead.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here and worrying about plot holes before I get there, but just judging from the previews I don't see how throwing yourself through a wormhole and popping out randomly in another galaxy somewhere is going to give you even a snowball's chance in hell of finding another earth-like planet, much less giving you a way to get everyone else out there as well.

Without giving away any spoilers, can you say whether the movie even attempts to conjure up a rational argument for any of that?

Thanks,
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 05:46 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I almost saw it today but decided to wait until next week instead.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here and worrying about plot holes before I get there, but just judging from the previews I don't see how throwing yourself through a wormhole and popping out randomly in another galaxy somewhere is going to give you even a snowball's chance in hell of finding another earth-like planet, much less giving you a way to get everyone else out there as well.

Without giving away any spoilers, can you say whether the movie even attempts to conjure up a rational argument for any of that?

Thanks,

Yes, it's not random. It appears to have been created for them by some benevolent entity.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:47 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Yes, it's not random. It appears to have been created for them by some benevolent entity.[/quote]
Ahhh, yes. That would do it. Smile

Ok, I'm happy knowing that they at least make some attempt to provide a reasonable scenario.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 03:20 am
@Brandon9000,
We were planning to go see this movie next week also. . We hve anew tyle theater near Wet Chester. Its more of a "lounge" and you can get meals and better snacks from a real kitchen.

My only argument with these movies is I demand a story and not just trotting out the latest nd greatest visual effects. This one seems to promise that so, we go.

Thanks for the review Brandon. It hard to be the first guy to go and view something.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 04:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
We were planning to go see this movie next week also. . We hve anew tyle theater near Wet Chester. Its more of a "lounge" and you can get meals and better snacks from a real kitchen.

My only argument with these movies is I demand a story and not just trotting out the latest nd greatest visual effects. This one seems to promise that so, we go.

Thanks for the review Brandon. It hard to be the first guy to go and view something.

Did you mean Westchester, NY?
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 07:11 am
@Brandon9000,
NAw WEST CHESTER (2 wds) Pa. Its about 50 milles west of Philly and about 30 miles SE of where we live.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 10:23 am
@Brandon9000,
Thanks for the review.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 01:05 pm
Neil discusses the movie.
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/after-cosmos-neil-degrasse-tyson-dives-science-interstellar-n243796
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 06:23 pm
@panzade,
I really enjoyed that article, but i really hate that NBC News web site.
panzade

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2014 07:45 pm
@Setanta,
know what you mean
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:10 pm
@Brandon9000,
I just saw it. I thought they did a fantastic job given the esoteric nature of the material and the fact that they still had to make a story with drama and excitement.

I enjoyed the personality of the robots. It's an interesting take which I hadn't thought about before.

I prefer movies that explore xeno-biology more than this one did, but this was still an interesting topic.
panzade

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:13 pm
@rosborne979,
thanks...motivated me to go see it
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 07:55 pm
@panzade,
I hope you enjoy it.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 08:15 pm
@rosborne979,
we still didn't get to see it. stuff came up.

Mybe this coming weekend
Cassie84

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2014 03:32 am
Interstellar did have some pretty cool robots - I absolutely loved TARS! The visuals were quite amazing as well, with some excellent acting. The only downside was that the second half had way too much of Physics and Science for a person with no scientific background like me... I was half the time left figuring out what they mean! Not complaining though, Interstellar was a treat for the senses.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:14 am
@Brandon9000,
Man of Steel wasn't directed by Christopher Nolan. He produced the film and thusly had heavy influence over the production. The fault if any belongs to the hot/cold director, Zack Snyder:
Man of Steel (2013): I actually liked it though it needn't have been that DARK and edgy a franchise reboot.
Sucker Punch (2011) : Absolutely terrible!
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010) : Absolutely terrible!
Watchmen (2009) : Well made and ambitious.
Dawn of the Dead (2004): Noteworthy remake of the George Romaro classic.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0811583/reference
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 09:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
...Man of Steel (2013): I actually liked it though it needn't have been that DARK and edgy a franchise reboot....

Have you spent much time reading Superman comic books or watching older Superman movies or TV shows?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 06:42 am
@Brandon9000,
I've seen all of the Christopher Reeves Superman flicks.

I read far less of the comics though I did own the infamous Superman #75 Death of Superman and their related issues.

Despite the humorless dark tone of that very key event in comic book history, I do understand that Superman was more optimistic and lighthearted then how he was portrayed in the Man of Steel.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 01:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I've seen all of the Christopher Reeves Superman flicks.

I read far less of the comics though I did own the infamous Superman #75 Death of Superman and their related issues.

Despite the humorless dark tone of that very key event in comic book history, I do understand that Superman was more optimistic and lighthearted then how he was portrayed in the Man of Steel.

He also, for instance, worked as a reporter at a newspaper. Lois Lane didn't know that Clark Kent was Superman. He fought ordinary non-super powered criminals. Any one of the episodes of "The Adventures of Superman" from the 1950s, although made on a shoestring budget, is superior dramatically to "Man Of Steel."