<brrrrrrrrrr & sigh> It's the first day of winter!

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:51 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
msolga wrote:
I have a great deal with a good pre-loved bookshop, which means I can buy impulsively & try different authors.

How does your deal work?

It's great! I buy (a lot!) of books at normal pre-loved price - usually around $6 -$7 ( Oz dollars)
Then, when I've finished them, I take them back & swap one for one at 60 cents per book. It means I never pay more than 60 cents for each new book, just keep exchanging them. Very Happy
The good thing is that this shop seems to have a deal with publishers/reviewers. I've often picked up a brand new book that I've had my eye on for a bit. It's also an inexpensive way to try new authors. No great tragedy if I decide that I don't like one & decide not to finish it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:55 pm
Aaaaaaaaahhhh ... More soup ideas! Very Happy But I must stop making such big quantities. One can't eat the same soup, day after day, & not become "soup sick"! Nor can my freezer take much more.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:57 pm
Winter...BAH!!!!!!!!!!

The weather is magnificent here, crisp and sunny - but these clear blue skies mean it's c-o-l-d at night. And, as Lil K notes - we'er all in denial - our houses are just not built for cold weather.

It must be colder this year - poor Possum is feeling the chill more than usual.

One good thing - sailing on Sydney Harbour is fantastic in winter! The winds are good, and there's fewer boats about. Now, if only I knew someone who has a boat.

Only a couple of weeks to the solstice, and then summer is coming - although our coldest weather is not here yet Sad Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:06 pm
margo

Sailing on Sydney Harbour! <sigh> That sounds SO superior to winter in Melbourne! (For those of you who don't know, Melbourne is further south than Sydney - ie closer to the Antarctic! Melbourne is famous for its insane, unpredictable weather, but we breed a superior type of person. Laughing It's because of all that introspection & in-depth discussion, in winter, INSIDE!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:07 pm
Sounds like New England.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:15 pm
Yep - winter is nice in Sydney generally, until the winds come in August.
Usually, days just like today - just magic, and fantastic outside, with appropriate clothing.

But those August winds - yeccchhhh!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:17 pm
littlek wrote:
Sounds like New England.

Sydney or Melbourne, littlek?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:38 pm
Joseph O'Connor (Sinead's writer brother, who hates her) wrote an absolutely brilliant piece on Melbourne and Melbourne conversation. I don't have the time or the book to copy it, but I will.... it's so wonderful.

Oh, I once made the stupid mistake of coming to Melbourne in the middle of August... I like the town, but I'll never go in August again.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:42 pm
Melbourne, of course. But, we get lots of snow and it's prolly even colder here. It's the unpredictable weather and insane recluses in need of diversions that sounds familiar.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:42 pm
That's interesting, Drom ... What was the gist of what he had to say?

You've been here? When? Why? Surprised
But Melbourne in August? A very foolish move! Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:46 pm
By the way; the book thing sounds fantastic! We have nothing like it here Sad, I wish that we did. What's the bookstore called? Is it a general thing, or only for certain customers?

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:48 pm
msolga wrote:
That's interesting, Drom ... What was the gist of what he had to say?

You've been here? When? Why? Surprised
But Melbourne in August? A very foolish move! Laughing

I've been there quite a few times because I love your strange weather and unusual conversations! That time, I was visiting a friend whom I met at postgraduates' school. She had moved to Melbourne and said, 'would you like to come over?' Yes, but I was adamant to get there quickly, so I said that August would do!

As for the recap; it defies pigeonholing... basically, he's on a tour promoting his last book, and he bumps into some very unusual people everywhere...

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:53 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
By the way; the book thing sounds fantastic! We have nothing like it here Sad, I wish that we did. What's the bookstore called? Is it a general thing, or only for certain customers?

No, just a dusty little shop I discovered on one of my many "economy hunts" many years ago. The same deal for everyone. Trouble is there are so many books in there! Shocked I've spent hours at a time sorting through the good, the bad & the already read. I think the profits go to charity.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:56 pm
You've just given an idea to me... I should bring this fabulous idea to Armenia! It is, though, the perfect plan; I'm surprised there's no such thing in England....

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:59 pm
littlek wrote:
Melbourne, of course. But, we get lots of snow and it's prolly even colder here. It's the unpredictable weather and insane recluses in need of diversions that sounds familiar.

Ah, I see! My sympathy to you, my dear. I gets to you about half way through winter, I know .... <sigh> So after all this, it will be officially summer for you tomorrow, littlek! Very Happy
(pssst ... You are allowed to talk about your pleasure at summer. I promise not to get too jealous, now that I know that you live in the Melbourne of the northern hemisphere! Laughing )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:18 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
You've just given an idea to me... I should bring this fabulous idea to Armenia! It is, though, the perfect plan; I'm surprised there's no such thing in England....

Yes, the fact that it has so many good books seems almost an accident ... no doubt because of the participation of publishers/reviewers. But this attracts keen readers, who in turn sell their good, read books there ... & the whole thing just snowballs ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:39 pm
I'm trying to figure out an alternative to walking to keep fit on wretched weather days .... Nah, not the gym! Too expensive & dislike the culture.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:30 pm
According to the time on the latest posts from up north it's after midnight. So has your summer now officially started?
(Actually, it's kinda scary that it's June, already? Where the hell did half a year Confused go? Surprised )
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:49 pm
Oh, what a nation of fricking sooks!! Sitting around all summer bitching, bitching, bitching about the heat! (Hint: that's why they call it Summer!). Then the first cool day of the year, out comes every piece of warm clothing, on goes the heater and it's moan, moan, moan about the goddam cold! F'krissakes!!

I don't know how the brave nation of pioneers turned into this country of jelly-spined wusses. Imagine how it would have been.....

Burke & Wills: 'Look, we ran out of milk suitable to froth for capuccinos. How can anyone go on in those conditions?'

The Anzacs: 'Bruce here got some really nasty gravel rash and I got a splinter in my hand trying to climb those hills. They just aren't safe. Back to Sydney?'

The Western Front: 'Strewth. Some-one could get hurt around here. We're all taking some time off to chill'.

Kokoda: 'Ok, I'll drink this warm beer, but there's no way I getting out into the bush. You don't know what could be out there'.

Polar expedition: 'It's freezing here! And I didn't bring anything to read! And the showers are too cold! And the lattes are never dusted with cinnamon!' 'Shut the f@ck up MSOlga, or you can swim home!'
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 12:01 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
.... the first cool day of the year, out comes every piece of warm clothing, on goes the heater and it's moan, moan, moan about the goddam cold! F'krissakes!!
... 'Shut the f@ck up MSOlga, or you can swim home!'

Feeling cranky today, Mr Stillwater?
0 Replies