What are my chances...?

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 02:50 pm
Hello!
I'm from Sweden, 22 years old and female. Always been that kind of person who is a little bit more on the creative side. When I was a kid I wanted to become a rockstar, I went to the Arts Programme (with focus on music) for 3 years in High School. My choices were between theatre, music & art. During the studies we all had the chance to take a class in theatre & art. I loved it. Theatre was so much fun & somtime I regret that I didn't choose my focus on theatre instead of music.

Today, 3 years (soon to be 4 years) after graduation from High School, I've been thinking a lot what to do with my life. I know I want to do something creative & entertaining. I didn't become a rockstar, but instead I'm dreaming of acting, working with film & theatre. I'll be taking acting & improv classes this upcoming spring and if everything seems to turn out well, I'll continue with the classes (there are several steps between beginner & advanced).

If THAT turns out well, I'm thinking about go all in and study Theatre/Acting/Film in either UK or USA. But now to my question here: should I do it? I'm asking because I have 6 tattoos on my body, 5 out 0f 6 are smaller ones and/or easier to hide/cover (unless I'm not wearing any clothes), pretty discreet. One of them are a little bit bigger and placed on my upper arm, a t-shirt could almost cover the whole tattoo. What are my chances here? Should I go for it? Studying in either the UK or USA will be expensive & I'll have to take loans for the studies. Then If I won't get any jobs/parts because of my tattoos, I might have wasted a lot of years & taking big loans for the studies for no reason. How hard is it to get a part in both theatre or a movie, with tattoos nowadays? I believe working behind the camera with tattoos might be easier (screenwriter, sound design etc)?

Sorry for writing down my whole diary!
Thanks for the help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,924 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 03:29 pm
@LittleLi,
I doubt that your tattoos will be a big issue (Google Alyssa Milano and other actors and actresses with tattoos, but keep in mind that Milano had roles before she was inked). Truth is, I think you're fixating on that.

If I were you, I'd be a lot more concerned about getting a proper education and probably losing my accent (I suspect you've got one, even if you don't think you do, considering that you don't live in an English-speaking country). Even well-established actors and actresses continue their educations. Yes, it will be expensive, I'll grant you that.

Start off just becoming better educated. Try out for local parts before you start worrying about getting hired in the US or UK. And seriously consider speech and accent classes.
0 Replies