doonesbury

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:57 pm
This Sunday episode of the strip has just the names of the US dead in Iraq.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,009 • Replies: 35
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 10:08 pm
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclickcomics/cx_db_uc/latest
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 10:41 pm
Oh, wow.
I'm sure he'll get a lot of flack for that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:17 am
Re: doonesbury
edgarblythe wrote:
This Sunday episode of the strip has just the names of the US dead in Iraq.

I see nothing wrong with this.

I can't read the man's mind but I have no reason not to assume his intentions with this strip are honorable.

I suspect he'll have the opportunity to offer an explanation for his motivation.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:22 am
BBB
I adore Gary Trudeau and his Doonesbury.

BBB
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:25 am
I might add that Trudeau is a fine name with a long liberal history, at least here in Canada.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:56 am
Why does my posting the information connotate negativity, Finn?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:58 am
This is Trudeau's Memorial Day gesture....lest we forget.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:42 am
Very tastefully done, IMO.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Why does my posting the information connotate negativity, Finn?

It doesn't, but Trudeau has been something of a lighting rod for criticism with his strips. It's not wildly out of context to comment on how such a strip might be received.

Witness the reincarnated suzy's post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:47 pm
Well ...
LOL, I guess.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 07:16 pm
Well SOMEONE'S gotta 'honour' your war-dead. It's not as though the 'War President' is doing it - more pressing engagements....

Quote:
President George W. Bush, the 43rd President of the United States of America, has accepted an invitation to be Honorary Chairman of The Presidents Cup when it returns to the Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in 2005.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 07:33 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Well SOMEONE'S gotta 'honour' your war-dead. It's not as though the 'War President' is doing it - more pressing engagements....

Quote:
President George W. Bush, the 43rd President of the United States of America, has accepted an invitation to be Honorary Chairman of The Presidents Cup when it returns to the Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in 2005.

What an outrage!

It's a disgraceful affront to the brave men and women who have given their lives for this great country!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 08:35 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Quote:

What an outrage!

It's a disgraceful affront to the brave men and women who have given their lives for this great country!

Rolling Eyes

Did either of you look at the date?
The Tournament is in 2005.Are you now complaining that he is going to do something after the election?
It sounds like you dont want him to do anything.
Assuming you get your wish and he loses re-election,what is wrong with him appearing there?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 08:49 pm
Edgar, thanks for your thread. I haven't looked at the paper yet and will look for Trudeau's strip first.
Dys also commented that the 3500-approx. wounded should be given more attention.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 08:55 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Quote:

What an outrage!

Rolling Eyes

The Tournament is in 2005.Are you now complaining that he is going to do something after the election?
Assuming you get your wish and he loses re-election,what is wrong with him appearing there?

mysteryman - see that little emoticon rolling his eyes at the end of my posting? This is an indication that what I wrote was intended to be sarcastic, but I'm glad to see I did a good enough impression of a liberal to fool you.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:06 pm
Dys just corrected me on the number of wounded: 4500 is the correct figure.

Too bad more attention isn't given to all who have suffered in Iraq for an illegal war.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:07 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Quote:

What an outrage!

Rolling Eyes

mysteryman - see that little emoticon rolling his eyes at the end of my posting? This is an indication that what I wrote was intended to be sarcastic, but I'm glad to see I did a good enough impression of a liberal to fool you.

Sorry,I did miss that little emoticon.My humblest apologies,and you have permission to give me 20 lashes with a wet noodle,ok.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:13 pm
Thank you, Diane. Yes, I agree.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:42 pm
Well HE did remember veterans:

Quote:
As 1940s swing music blared from speakers and President Bush thanked the veterans for having "saved our country," some of them observed that the day had been too long in coming and that so many of their comrades who should have experienced it had died.

Veteran's tribute
0 Replies