Want to try acting - Where?

jeefee

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 05:54 am
I have always wanted to try acting and now at 32 I feel like I am finally able to. But in my local area here in Northern Europe, the theater scene is thin and comedy even thinner. I am willing to travel, but the question is, do I apply for a drama college and a degree, or is it a better idea to first see if I have any talent by getting experience. And where and how?

I know New York Film Academy offer shorter courses, but they are expensive and I wanted to know what my options are.
It is a wide question, I know, but I am serious about taking the next step. I just have to sort out what is out there.

Thanks for any advice,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 953 • Replies: 3
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 06:25 am
just go about your daily life, everybody acts everyday, they act happy, they act like the enjoy their job, they act like they love their partners or children, etc

the possibilities are endless
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 06:57 am
@jeefee,
Even in the 'thin' theater scene, you are going to have to audition and try out just like everyone else. Do this before you start traveling, spending money, etc. You might want to also consider singing and dancing classes. They are likely to be cheaper and local. Even if you don't want to do musical comedy, it helps to have a diversified portfolio in this as in any other profession. Furthermore, singing helps you with the ability to project your voice, and dancing and choreography help with how you move on a stage or even in fight scenes.

You're older but it's not impossible. I have a friend from High School who started acting at about age 40. She will often have a line or a nonspeaking role in a commercial, or be a part of the mix in a party or restaurant scene or the like. But manage your own expectations. With no experience or training, and a late start to boot, you're probably not going to be doing Strindberg right out of the gate.

Best of luck to you.
jeefee

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 07:25 am
@jespah,
Thanks for your answer,

I actually do have some dance and vocal training. Smile
0 Replies