What is oldest jar on your Spice/Herb Rack?

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:44 am
And why do you hold on to it?

I have a jar of Thai Lemon Grass (the tag says I paid $3.79 for it). I don't remember ever using it. It's been on the shelf in my kitchen since.....um... let's see, I had it before my marriage dissolved, so that's at least since 2008. It still smells nice...I need to look a recipe and try it, right?

The winner of oldest jar on the shelf , though there are several contenders, is one of Badia Ground Oregano. I don't like Ground Oregano, I like the leaf kind or fresh from the container in the roof garden. By my calculations, it's been on the shelf since the week after I moved into this building.

That would be nineteen years ago last month.

Joe(I haven't a clue why I haven't thrown it out.)Nation

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:49 am
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
So funny.

As you can tell I cleaning......change of seasons and all that..... um...not to sound too much like Ayn Rand..... "Who is John West?" and what is the word spoken after his name?

Joe(I have a large Paprika...I know I've used it twice since 2005)Nation

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:58 am
@Joe Nation,
Tuna.....

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/John_West_Tuna_Chunks_In_Sunflower_Oil_185g.jpg
jespah

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:03 am
Oldest spice is reportedly Geri Halliwell, AKA Ginger Spice.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZLzng47Hptk/S_SQpNTjdbI/AAAAAAAAAZY/tUJT7kkX4Bg/s1600/1.jpg

Please don't make me Google them again. I don't want Google to think I want ads about them delivered to my inbox.

Oy.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:10 am
I have a very nice glass jar that is hard to describe, tall and thin, cut glass, with a cork fit in at the top. I've coriander seeds in it, by now old coriander seeds. I think I've had them in the jar since northern California, so that would be circa 2000. I think they're happy there.
George

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:27 am
@jespah,
I know an old guy named Herb.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:32 am
@George,
Does he go by Herb or 'erb ?

Joe(eh?)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:34 am
@ossobuco,
The cool thing is you can throw a few to soak in water overnight and then plant them in a eight inch pot. Yum.... fresh Cilantro and then, if you let it go to seed......

Joe(more seeds)Nation
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:34 am
@George,
The Herbs.....

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:35 am
@jespah,
Um, perhaps I need to restate the OP.

"on your rack" not a Spice who has a rack.

Joe(and not much of one at that)Nation
George

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:40 am
@Joe Nation,
He has some vegetative traits, but not the pronunciation of his name.

Poor old guy has been put on the shelf, but it doesn't jar him.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
many thanks/////

yes, I have a couple of cans of Chicken of the Sea ....

Joe(and a can of tomato paste old enough to date)Nation
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:45 am
I bought one of those hand winding coffee grinders at a flea market about ten years ago, and make up my curry mix with it.
We go to the "Balti Belt" regularly, where there are 'undreds and farsands of Asian shops, with all manner of weird and wonderful herbs and spices.
I always buy way too much, so not only do I fill my own cupboards, but those of my friends and family as well.

I must admit to having about a dozen or so small supermarket spice jars though. Never touched, but seemed such a good idea at the time.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:46 am
@Joe Nation,
That never occurred to me! Which is odd in itself, as I'm a person who took a pod from her neighbor's False Yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora) and now has about twenty yuccas growing in pots.

I'll try it.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:27 am
@ossobuco,
We recycle seeds in our roof garden, Cilantro/Coriander is the easiest.

Four kinds of Thyme, two kinds of Sage ( gosh, I wish there was something else to do with Sage except chicken. ) Rosemary grows and grows here, even indoors.

I have old jars of Rosemary as well.

Joe(what the hell are these TWO jars of Ground Cloves doing here?)Nation
djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:32 am
not exactly spices, but i have some Frankincense and Myrrh that was given to my mother by some wise guys the day i was born
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:37 am
@Joe Nation,
I sometimes grow culinary sage but not every year, so once I actually bought fresh sage at the grocery store. Ugh, money. Anyway, there was a recipe that was tucked into the plastic container along with the sage. I tried it and liked it.

I posted about it on another a2k thread:

Nutty Sage Pate
1 cup of shelled hazelnuts, toasted (I used almonds, didn't toast them)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
8 oz cream cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons milk

Grind seeds and nuts. Beat cream cheese, salt, pepper, sage, and oil together in a bowl. And nuts and seeds. Add milk. Serve chilled.

So I made this, put in two small plastic containers, one for the refrigerator for present use and one in the freezer. Good with crackers or bread.

Now I've a cream cheese spread like this going all the time (freezes well), using various herbies and kinds of nuts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:59 am
@Joe Nation,
Sage is wonderful with many many many squash recipes.

(google butternut squash sage pasta to start)

the oldest thing on the shelf with the herbs/spices? a tin of dutched cocoa that I bought in my teens when we were at Schiphol sooooooooooooo 40 something years old

there is also an ancient tin of curry powder that my mother had for many many years - the tin/contents are at least 30 years old
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:59 am
@Joe Nation,
As of November of 2012, when my house caught fire,
some of the spices on my spice rack in NY went back to around the 1950s.
My mom put them there. I did not use them much. Thay did not get in the way.

A rack in my refrigerator included a jar of bright red cherries since the 1960s.

I have not held onto them since 2012.

David
0 Replies