counting to one thousand

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:36 pm
Yeah, K, the patiobitch somtimes talks about plans to have one, until she spends some time with one. And this is a woman who nannied for years, including for a set of twins.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:37 pm
Thanks Soz, I'm sure I'll need more.

Ya know, my neice, who I also care for, is a totally different child Than this one (E). It really is amazing. She's almost a year older than E is so I had some practice. Thank gawd I did.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:38 pm
Pdog - see, nannying ruins a girl. Ah, not really. I've never really been so sure I wanted a kid.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:41 pm
I can go either way (isn't that a horrible thing to say?), so I'm not sweating it too much. Just so long as it's not in the next couple of years.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 03:47 pm
Not a terrible thing to say. Me too. I wonder how it is that so many people have them and that the drive seems to be so strong. I really don't get it. I also don't understand that so many people marry. I mean, I want to settle down, marry or not, but ... but what....? Hmmm, but, what makes it such a force in and of itself?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:02 pm
Well, people who didn't care so much were less inclined to pass their genes to the next generation and died out. Same goes for cultural ideas. One tribe says, "What's the big deal with babies? We're going to save our energy for other things. Look at this killer statue." Well, the tribe next door thinks, "It's great to have babies. It's the best thing ever. Lets have as many babies as we can support."

Which tribe is still around a century later?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:04 pm
so, how do explain us? Genetic throwbacks?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:10 pm
Dead ends if we don't procreate. Big problem if you were David or Abraham.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:11 pm
mmmmm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 04:20 pm
For the record, I wasn't particularly gung-ho on having babies for a long time -- liked 'em fine, wasn't ready to have my own. Met E.G., shacked up with E.G. for 4 years, was married to E.G. for another 4 years, THEN had the kid.

I have friends who want to have a kid no matter what -- if they can't find a life partner, fine, whatever, small detail -- but for a lot of people, I think being in a relationship you know is lifelong is the kicker. (Again, not all, though.)

The tricky, chicken/ egg part though is that sometimes once you get in the lifelong relationship, people have different ideas. Some friends of ours are having a horrible time because she doesn't want kids, he does. He REALLY does. They've been together for more than a dozen years now, have some time left, biological clock wise, but not a ton.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 06:03 pm
I always assumed it would be a discussion with a life-partner and until I met a life-partner it wasn't something I needed to think about. Now, I'm 34 and there's no guy on the horizon to shack up with, sooo.... I guess I just don't see it happening.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 02:25 am
Hey Little_K:

Have you tried barbed wire and a gag yet Twisted Evil

Anon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:51 am
Oh!
How ya doing Anon?
0 Replies