http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040528/D82RA7EG0.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,488 • Replies: 27
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:38 am
I also read this article today. The good side is, 74 out of 75 people are NOT in jail - at least this year. I personally know several people either in jail or just released within the last month. A couple of them are even friends! We have more people locked up percentage wise than even Communist China. Our country is in a sorry state of affairs.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:44 am
A reformation of drug laws would alleviate much of the prison population.

However, knowing that an activity is against the law and choosing to partake of that activity is a sure sign that you are willing to face the consequences. Therefore, those that are in prison, for the most part, deserve to be there.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:50 am
McGentrix wrote:

However, knowing that an activity is against the law and choosing to partake of that activity is a sure sign that you are willing to face the consequences. Therefore, those that are in prison, for the most part, deserve to be there.

The first sentence is smack on the money. But such laws exist elsewhere too.

Let's assume that business or corporate endeavors will naturally seek to increase consumption of product or service. That seems quite simple and easily agreeable.

Let's further assume that the sort of lobbying that we are all familiar with as a component behind modern government policy initiatives will evidence itself wherever large financial interests might feel they can effect policy to the benefit of corporate shareholders (there are something like 10 lobbyists for every politician, after all).

Let's then reflect on how prison populations might be effected by privatizing the prison service.
0 Replies

WhistleBlower

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:07 am
Does this explain why so many politicians are not where they belong?

No room.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:11 am
whistle blower

Darned good thought. Fill it up with others as defensive maneuver.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:33 am
wow, that's impressive! I guess I know at least one person who was in prison for some time. I date a guy who works in a prison..... does that count?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:42 am
littlek wrote:
I date a guy who works in a prison..... does that count?

If he "works" in the laundry room or the kitchen it does. Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:45 am
haha.... He always says he's just doing his time like the inmates.
0 Replies

WhistleBlower

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:57 am
I knew Florida's missing voters must have gone somewhere.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:41 am
Quote:

Some of us feel that a moral obligation exists to resist those laws which are unjust. The vast majority of drug laws in this country fall under this category.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:01 am
Then you have a moral obligation to spend time in prison.

Insted, choose to change the law instead of break the law.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:15 am
I do both. As a registered member or NORML and an active voter I work as hard as anyone to change the laws.

I never said I didn't think I should go to prison if I got caught breaking the law. Just that there is no moral problem with what I am doing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:51 am
I wonder just how much different that number would be if it didn't include nonviolent drug offenders?

My guess is that it would be drastically different. The way we treat addicts as criminals (as opposed to people who need medical/psychological care), is disturbing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:14 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
I wonder just how much different that number would be if it didn't include nonviolent drug offenders?

My guess is that it would be drastically different. The way we treat addicts as criminals (as opposed to people who need medical/psychological care), is disturbing.

Hard to say. The BJS site linked to at the top of this page has some stats and shows 20% of the total in prison for drug charges but it doesn't break those out into drug charges that involve violence and those that don't.

But it's hard to make heads or tails of this study. The press reports all say "people in prison" but the report's numbers also include people who are on work release programs, under electronic monitoring or who were sentenced to supervised "Community Service" and drug treatment programs.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:16 pm
"FREE TOMMY CHONG!"
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:

McGentrix....we....agree....

*fastens rope around neck to balcony railing, jumps*
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:28 pm
There are not too many people behind bars. Too many of the people behind bars should be replaced by violent azzhole's who are not, but should be.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 11:10 pm
True.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 06:26 am
Question: does such a high percentage of US citizens behind bars make the US a safer place to live?
0 Replies