Soccer wars

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:08 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
if I hate something in soccer, then it's scandinavian kind - especially Norway, I hope citizens of Norway will all live good and healthy lives, having great time and winning 1.537 medals at Olympics, just that I don't have to see their soccer ever again.

<grins>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
Grand Duke wrote:

Indeed. It speaks volumes about the quality of British football, when the keeper can't even out-jump a coked-up Argentinian midget... :wink:

LOL!

Quote:
I agree with nearly all of your other points as well, except that Beckham can sometimes be really good. He's still an overpaid fool though.

Beckham is weird, he can be a football god or just disappear....

Quote:
Surely the British tabloids aren;t the only ones who believe that their national team should win games that they don't? I can't belive that the American press ever doubt that they have the best team in the world... :wink:

Americans don't really care about their football team. The English are, if I remember correctly, the only nation to boycott a world cup because they thought they were in a league of their own and shouldn't play with mere mortals.

That was really silly.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:23 pm
We are boycotting the Olympics this summer because, well, we suck. Signed, U.S. America
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
Germany's football team joined, btw, yesterday Croatia in boycotting the Olympic Games.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:37 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
The English are, if I remember correctly, the only nation to boycott a world cup because they thought they were in a league of their own and shouldn't play with mere mortals.

That was really silly.

Just another reason to want them to keep on losing.

---

On an aside, the US also boycotted a World Football Cup, on the grounds that an American team would literally kill their opponents.
It was the World (American) Football Championship, held in Italy in the late 90's.
The final match was Japan against Mexico. They won.
Unlike the English, the Americans were right about boycotting this one.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:37 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Americans don't really care about their football team. The English are, if I remember correctly, the only nation to boycott a world cup because they thought they were in a league of their own and shouldn't play with mere mortals.

That was really silly.

Which year was that, Craven? It probably comes from the days of the Empire. Some us still think we're the best, despite all the evidence against. We have very little flair, and try to make for it with crunching tackles, which gets us loads of cards.

I've always wondered if England would have as many hooligan problems if we were the best in the world. They could concentrate on celebrating rather than fighting with riot police and throwing chairs through cafe windows.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Germany's football team joined, btw, yesterday Croatia in boycotting the Olympic Games.

I always thought that the nations with professional players never played at the Olympics? Which teams normally win the medals?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:51 am
1. England really had boycotted World Cup for some time - I think all cups before WW2.

2. At Olympics, U23 teams play but they can have two older players - for example, if Italy qualifies (they are in semi-final at the moment, and three teams will go to Olympics) Roberto Baggio will play for them....
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:37 am
Grand Duke wrote:

I always thought that the nations with professional players never played at the Olympics? Which teams normally win the medals?

Amateur olympic football is very old history. Perhaps up to the 50s, when East Bloc countries won everything.
A change was made, and every footballer that had not played in the World Cup final round could qualify. This gave an edge to countries that did not qualify to WC, but had tough qualifying rounds (East Bloc, again). GB had a problem, since it has 4 teams at FIFA, but only one at IOC. FIFA had a problem, since the tournament was too good and they didn't organize it.
Another change was made, and it is like MyOwnUsername says. This gives an edge to countries where kids mature faster (or can register births late in life). The last three Olympic finals were:
1992: Spain (gold), Poland (silver)
1996: Nigeria (gold), Argentina (silver)
2000: Cameroon -or Ghana- (gold), Brazil (silver), if I recall correctly.

This is the only one world football tournament Brazil has never won.
It won't win in 2004, either. It was eliminated by Paraguay.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:44 am
correction:

2000: Cameroon (gold), Spain (silver).

Brazil has won silver twice. Lost the final against the Soviet Union in 1988, and against France in 1984.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:35 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

That was really silly.

Which year was that, Craven?

I believe it was the first world cup. My memory is saying around 1930's but my brain is telling me that my memory is a total jerk and not to trust him. <shrugs>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:55 am
It was indeed in 1930, the very first world cup in Uruguay.

Besides other top teams, the European teams from England, Scotland, Italy, Holland, Switzerland, Sweden, Czechoslovakia, Spain, Germany, Austria, Hungary didn't enter the competition.

I Campeonato del Mundo
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 12:36 pm
I think England boycotted 1934 and 1938 World Cup as well but I might be wrong.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:01 pm
Well, that wasnt too good now, was it ... <grumbles>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 02:54 pm
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/home/ladybird/smiley/party/circle1.gif

(Sorry Walter ... hehhehhehheh Twisted Evil )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:07 pm
De weg naar de hel is geplaveid met goede voornemens. :wink:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:15 pm
Germany, all ist over. *laugh*

CZECHIA ; was already before also my favorite.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:40 pm
Hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhhehhehhehhehhheh

<still grinnning>

Outside, now, cars are driving past, hooting their horns, groups of people are going down the streets, singing, yelling ...

and, on the topic of "soccer wars", they are of course not just yelling, "Holland! Holland!", but also the classic ...

"Deutschland, Deutschland,
Alles ist vorbei, alles ist vorbei, alles ist vorbei!"

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Talk about soccer and war!

The moment after I last posted here, I went to our national public broadcaster's news site. It had a report on the game up already. I'm just going to quote you the first paragraph: note the vocabulary! Shocked

Quote:
Netherlands - Latvia

The marching orders from the Little General [trainer Dick Advocaat, nimh] were short and clear: if his troops wanted to reach the quarter finals of the European Championships, then Latvia needed to be wiped off the map on the battlefield of Estadio Municipal. "Orange" did not dissapoint its embattled field marshal and watched how the Baltic cannon fodder, mainly thanks to the efforts of the lethal front soldier Ruud van Nistelrooy, had to hoist the white flag after 90 minutes: 3-0.

<stares>

<laughs out loud>

<shakes head>

The British tabloids couldnt have done a better job on that one, eh?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:15 pm
it's nice to see Dutch have good coach now. This Dick Advocaat sounds like good guy and journalists obviusly love him.
Great thing that you got rid of this jerk that was coaching your team against Czech Republic. Nobody liked that guy. Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:37 pm
LOL!

Yeh, after the game against the Czechs, bash-Advocaat became the national hobby ... with much of the (mostly untranslatable) creativity centred around the instantly created website www theworstchangeever nl.

(cause of him changing Robben in that game ...)

Sorry about the Croats, btw ... bummer.
0 Replies