Honestly, how many voices do you hear in your head?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:14 pm
@Joe Nation,
Interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:17 pm
@JPB,
That's why I've never tried them. I think I'd be apt to be annoyed, or at least distracted.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:37 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

(Jeez, do you think we may all be a...

...nah!)

um yes....

joe(shh...don't tell anyone...they already know)Nation

D'ju jest call me a asshole?
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Hmmm... i had been thinking in this subject since you started this thread a few days ago. I had never really cataloged my inner voices the same way as you have. I can at least catalog 4 of them.

My self voice the one i use in spanish for every day experience and for work. Then there is this child who is sweet and kind of easygoing and easily tricked, and then there is the angry one, the one that fights and discuss and that senses threatens.

The fourth one may be my english speaking voice. The one that learnt english on my childhood. I had noticed that i am more analitic while thinking in english than in spanish. Sometimes it just pops up and makes a practical comment when i am facing trouble. It is quite helpfull.

None of them have names, tough. I never considered necesary, they all live on harmony.

Recently i had a huge personal problem and thought that the child one was gone. But a few weks later it appeared again in one piece. I felt very happy that day, i was very worried.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 03:52 pm
Over the years, i changed from hearing a narrative in my voice in my head when i read to absorbing the words directly without any narrator. However, without going into a long, circumstantial account, working with my dreams over the decades, i reached the point that many of my dreams were movies, including those with recognizable "stars," many without my participation, aand some which ere even animations.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2014 04:01 pm
Song lyrics play in my head, quite often, in distinctive voices depending on the song.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:02 am
@luismtzzz,
Very interesting, Luis. I've often heard of people thinking in a second language, but I've never heard anyone express they are more analytic in one of the languages they speak. I should ask Dasha, my friend, she speaks several.

I only named Coach and Boyo because they seemed so separate. Coach would probably be the candidate for angry voice, but I seldom get angry with myself anymore. It's worse than that, I get disappointed. Heh (Mom's voice comes floating through..... .) Rolling Eyes

There is an unnamed voice~~~ you say it's your angry one who senses threats, my unnamed voice is one who is constantly on guard, it worries, it tries very hard to make me avoid taking action. It can't be Boyo being a frightened child, he's not afraid of anything, but, maybe it is...that scaredycat voice irritates the heck out of me. I have to think about this.

I hope you never lose your child voice. I think it's the part of us that gets awed by life, who can still feel wonder and delight, who, when brought to some new place can say "OH WOW !"

You say your child is easily tricked,,,,mine is the one who tricks me......
"We need yogurt."
"No, we don't."
"Frozen yogurt."
"No, we don't need that."
"Chocolate Frozen Yogurt"
"No."
"Think about it."
"Let's move on."
"Yes. The shop is just down the block. We'll just get a small."

~~~

I like Boyo. He's funny and forgiving.....and he helps to eat the huge yogurt and chocolate shots and walnuts and a cherry on top.
~~
Joe(the committee is in session)Nation

0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:05 am
There should only be two voices: Your voice and the voice of your subconscious.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:08 am
@Setanta,
I'd like to hear about your working with your dreams, it's a constant process for me. Movie dreams, yes, I see those, whole stories playing out in different places filled with strangers the unconscious has somehow put together.

Are your "stars" reoccurring characters or people you have known or know?

Animations ! wow !

Joe(that's a first)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:09 am
@One Eyed Mind,
I'm not much into 'shoulds'.

Joe(or 'oughts')Nation
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:17 am
@Joe Nation,
You should be in a world with shoulders which have been breaking away over 400,000 years carrying excuses, lies and hatred.

Wise man are left with shoulds, because the world doesn't pay heed to the importance of their deeds. At least they have shoulders, right?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:20 am
I think this is a job for Boyo.

Do you say Shazam for him to come into action?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:21 am
Oops, I meant "The Boss."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:22 am
@edgarblythe,
I am a victim of earworms.
Nearly every day I have to put on Pandora or something to get a recurring tune out of my head. I think earworms are more prevalent nowadays because we are constantly bombarded with music, at work, when we are shopping, at the bank for crying out loud.
And, here in New York, the music in restaurants is SO LOUD you have raise your voice just to have a conversation.

Earworms sometimes can come in handy. When I am running, I can drag up a version of 'Johnny-be-good', a nice, bouncy tune to take away the miles. There are a couple of Paul Simon songs which work nicely too. I hear Simon singing them, complete with his back-up singers, so it's not one of my voices, my brain has it's own iTunes channel.
"Okay, okay" I'll say after something been playing for a mile or so, "Pick
something else."

Joe(on we go)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
Nope.
They come and go as they like.

Rather like cats, I'll be busy and one of them or all of them will intrude.
I might try calling one of them some day.

~~~No golf today, I would think...not until later when it clears? or just not.

Joe(today, I'm doing errands or I'm doing this instead of doing errands)Nation
Below viewing threshold (view)
Germlat

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 07:18 am
After that last post...I hear crickets
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 07:42 am
@Germlat,
If they aren't playing mozart, then they are not my crickets.
Germlat

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 07:55 am
@One Eyed Mind,
One Eyed Mind wrote:

If they aren't playing mozart, then they are not my crickets.

Weird, strange and sad...yep, all my voices concur.
Below viewing threshold (view)