Text of Al Gore's 5/25 speech before MoveOn.org

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:12 am
If I were Gore, I would have retired after losing the last election. His record isn't exactly one to be overly boastful of.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:27 am
It's a rough life being a worthless alpha male, oh wait, he shaved the beard off, he's just worthless now.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:38 am
An interesting write up on Gore's little tantrum by Joan Vennochi of the Boston Globe this morning:

Quote:
Being Al Gore
By Joan Vennochi, Globe Columnist | May 28, 2004

IT MUST BE sad to be Al Gore.

Four years ago, he won more popular votes than the current occupant of the Oval Office. Today, he is a man without a purpose, and he may end up a man without a party. Standing anywhere near him can be hazardous to a Democrat's political health.

He endorses Howard Dean, and the Dean campaign starts to unravel. He gives a speech about global warming on a frigid winter day in New York. He backs Air America, the liberal radio channel that is another disaster in the making. He is also supposed to be starting a cable news channel for the under-35 crowd, except most of those folks don't watch TV news. Good luck with that demographic, Al.

If John Kerry fails to beat George W. Bush, he, at least, can retreat to his Senate seat - after dragging it back from all the Bay State congressmen who think they will be the Bay State's next junior senator.

The former vice president is a man in search of a mission. Defeated by Ralph Nader, butterfly ballots, and the US Supreme Court, he struggles for relevancy. He has yet to exhibit any.

When he gives a speech, Democrats are depressed, Republicans are delighted. ``Republicans love it when Gore gets mad'' is the headline over an article in National Review Online following Gore's overwrought address at New York University on Wednesday.

Gore's over-the-top delivery is a warning to all less-than-eloquent speakers striving to be Tony Blair. It is better to be dull than to remind people of Dean after the Iowa Caucus. Losing your audience is preferable to losing your dignity. Preacher-style speechifying is best left to preachers.

The saddest part for Gore is that what he said got lost in how he said it. Calling for top Bush administration officials to resign is not unreasonable, given the disclosures about intelligence failures before the invasion of Iraq, poor planning afterward and the breakdown of discipline in Abu Ghraib prison. Ranting that Bush is ``the most dishonest president since Richard Nixon,'' along with other overloaded rhetoric, is not the way to return a Democrat to the White House.

In the fallout from Gore's speech is a larger warning for the Kerry campaign. Voters are already tired of the snideness of this presidential campaign; more meanness is predicted in the months ahead. Both sides are dishing the dirt, of course.

But with Democrats, it comes directly from the top, whether from Gore, House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, and Democratic National Committee head Terry McAuliffe. Kerry, too, has contributed a few snide remarks, usually in situations when he is speaking into an open mike or making a supposed ``off the record'' crack.

On the Republican side, the nastiness does not yet come directly from Bush or his Cabinet.

According to The New York Times, Democrats are asking ``if Cautious Path is Best for Kerry.'' He can be less cautious, but, please, don't let him get any angrier. He already looks far too unhappy too much of the time. More anger will backfire on Kerry, just as anger is backfiring on Gore.

They are both cut from the same stiff, white guy rhetorical cloth, and efforts to fire up their speech ring false. The country doesn't need more impassioned rhetoric from its leaders, it need more leaders offering well-reasoned, well-articulated policy.

Martin Luther King had a dream. ``I have a plan,'' Kerry tells the Times. While that is not exactly political poetry, it would nice to hear his plans for Iraq, the economy, and other matters of national interest. Then voters could compare it with the results of Bush's plans. There is no need to call anyone an incompetent liar while the comparison is underway. Voters can reach their own conclusion.

It is easier to come up with a survival strategy for Kerry than for Gore. The political future does not look bright for the former vice president. It's not fair, but it's hard to see how Gore reinvents himself in a way to appeal to a broad cross-section of the American population.

Massachusetts may be one of the few places he can find kindred spirits willing to be inspired by his humorless, self-righteous liberalism. Perhaps there is some university along the Charles in need of a president?

It must be sad to be Gore. It will be sadder, still, to be Kerry if Gore sticks around the Kerry campaign trail.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/05/28/being_al_gore/
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:47 am
More and more people are relieved he didn't become president, things happen for a reason sometimes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:27 am
Way to attack the messanger and not the message. I get tired of saying that over and over.

Instead of posting articles written by conservative pundits who are frothing at the mouth to pull out their old material on Gore and dust it off, why don't you analyze some of the content of his speech for us?

As I read in another post: Gore is a politician. Whether or not you think he is a good one is a matter of debate. He lost a presidential election in which he won the popular vote. He lost the swing state of Florida by a 5-4 court decision because it was so damn close there (and we all know that the fact that Jeb Bush is in power there is just a coincidence). Do you REALLY think the guy is just going to trash all his former ambitions and go back to being a regular citizen after he lost a close race?

What would you say if it was Bush who had lost 5-4, that he should just 'give up?' Would he be a worthless alpha male?

It isn't surprising to me that when there is no adequate analysis available of what he said that supports your position in any way, you turn straight to character assassination immediately. Typical.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:34 am
Why hasn't anyone from the left pounded Gore for talking about his religion in that speech? I thought it was a liberal no-no to be religious and a public figure...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:38 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Instead of posting articles written by conservative pundits who are frothing at the mouth to pull out their old material on Gore and dust it off, why don't you analyze some of the content of his speech for us?

Haha! That's pretty funny. Joan Vennochi is about as left-wing as it gets. I'll pass along to her that you think she's a conservative pundit. I'd bet she's never been called that before.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:44 am
Caught me on that one. Here's a cookie for ya.

Now, care to offer any real analysis? Or will ya shoot some more arrows at me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:51 am
Ask if she was frothing at the mouth when she wrote it....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 11:54 am
It was just the foam from her decaf mocha latte.

Ya can see how a guy could be confused tho, man, rabies is no joke.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 01:46 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Way to attack the messanger and not the message. I get tired of saying that over and over.

As I read in another post: Gore is a politician. Whether or not you think he is a good one is a matter of debate. He lost a presidential election in which he won the popular vote. He lost the swing state of Florida by a 5-4 court decision because it was so damn close there (and we all know that the fact that Jeb Bush is in power there is just a coincidence). Do you REALLY think the guy is just going to trash all his former ambitions and go back to being a regular citizen after he lost a close race?

What would you say if it was Bush who had lost 5-4, that he should just 'give up?' Would he be a worthless alpha male?

It isn't surprising to me that when there is no adequate analysis available of what he said that supports your position in any way, you turn straight to character assassination immediately. Typical.

Cycloptichorn

First of all I didn't vote for Bush and find it difficult to support him on many issues.

I don't disagree with everything in the speech Al read, but I cannot stand him or the tone he used and some of the content of the speech, which I know he didn't write. Therefor it is more damning to the Dem party.

I understand he has to make money somehow since he doesn't have a real job.

I'm only going to address a couple of statements of the speech that illustrate the ramblings of the kooky left which are being allowed to steer the Dems these days.

Quote:
He decided not to honor the Geneva Convention.

This said about Bush is no more than a lie, there is no evidence to prove this.

Quote:
To begin with, from its earliest days in power, this administration sought to radically destroy the foreign policy consensus that had guided America since the end of World War II.

There is no evidence to prove that the Administration endeavored to 'destroy' any policy.

No need to go any further, the Abu Ghraib incident has been under investigation for months, blah, blah, blah.

It is clear that the Dems are more interested in their return to power than anything else, or at least their rhetoric and tactics appear to be most disingenuous.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 02:01 pm
Quote:

Quote:
To begin with, from its earliest days in power, this administration sought to radically destroy the foreign policy consensus that had guided America since the end of World War II.

There is no evidence to prove that the Administration endeavored to 'destroy' any policy

Sure there is. Post WWII, we had a policy of containment when it came to our enemies. It worked pretty well. This conitinued mostly unabated until about, oh, the year 2000, in which the focus shifted from ''containment' to 'preemption.' Under our new policy, threats must be removed before they actually strike.

This was all laid out by the neocons for anyone to look at. www.pnac.org Don't take my word for it, read it yourself.

You say that the prison scandal shouldn't be talked about as it has been under investigation for months. Why did it take so long to come to light? What reason could there have been for hiding this? Surely not because it would have made us look bad.

Last night on the Daily show McCain was on, he said that at a breifing given to congress by Rummy on the day that the prison story was leaked, Rumsfeld didn't even mention it. Why are our servants (and that's who the officials are, public servants) not remaining transparent on important issues, and being allowed to get away with it?

The corruption goes all the way to the top. The kind of people who don't believe that are the kind who think that Reagan really didn't know anything about Iran-contra back in the 80's, and if you believe that, I have some great seafront property for sale in Arizona you might be interested in.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 04:45 pm
Quote:
Sure there is. Post WWII, we had a policy of containment when it came to our enemies. It worked pretty well. This conitinued mostly unabated until about, oh, the year 2000, in which the focus shifted from ''containment' to 'preemption.' Under our new policy, threats must be removed before they actually strike.

Things changed after 9/11, again the Admin. didn't endeavor to change a long held policy, there was a new type of threat to be dealt with.

Quote:
You say that the prison scandal shouldn't be talked about as it has been under investigation for months. Why did it take so long to come to light?

Never said it shouldn't be talked about, and it was reported months ago, I think in newspapers, don't know why it took so long to be reported on widespread. I feel that it has gotten too much attention in relation to to the beheading of Berg, which Gore never addressed.

Rumsfeld didn't mention because by that time it was old news to him, he was prolly addressing fresh issues.

We'll see where the investigation leads, and what the ultimate outcome of the Iraq situation. Many mistakes have been made but there is a long way to go yet.

BTW, the seafront property in Arizona has already been purchased by Dem and Repub. supporters.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:28 pm
The beheading of Berg was done by Al Quaeda, correct? Which is different than Iraq, remember? That's why it wasn't mentioned. Noone is questioning that Al Quaeda wants to kill us.

Quote:
Things changed after 9/11, again the Admin. didn't endeavor to change a long held policy, there was a new type of threat to be dealt with.

The policies that recommended a shift to preemption were written in 1999. I'll link again. www.pnac.org

9/11/01 was two-three years AFTER our policy shifts had already been decided. Unless they knew it was going to happen, these shifts had already begun to take place, and hardly could be called reactionary.

Quote:
Rumsfeld didn't mention because by that time it was old news to him, he was prolly addressing fresh issues

Rumsfeld has a duty, a responsibility to disclose important information to Congress. He did not fufill his duty in this case. Even if it was old news, he should have informed people when it was NEW news. He didn't skip over it as an accident. Rummy is a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:38 pm
Quote:
The beheading of Berg was done by Al Quaeda, correct? Which is different than Iraq, remember? That's why it wasn't mentioned. Noone is questioning that Al Quaeda wants to kill us.

Does it matter? He was killed in Iraq where AQ operates, as the four who were dragged through the streets, burned and hanged from the bridge, and also Donald Walters was shot in the back.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:46 pm
Dude, it does matter. Al quaeda /= Iraq.

You guys are pretty quick to bring up American tragedies and pretty quick to downplay the thousands of innocent people killed in this war.

Cycloptichorn

p.s. did you drop the point on the policy shift + pnac? If you concede it, I won't bring it up again.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:48 pm
I look at it as thousands saved by deposing Saddam, which gets downplayed by 'you guys'.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:51 pm
The thousands saved are theoretical (though probable). It would be difficult to point to any person over there and say, 'you sir would be dead if America didn't attack.' But there are thousands of people who would DEFINATELY be alive.

Noone says that Sadaam being gone was a bad thing. We just don't like the way things are going, don't like the policies that lead us there, don't appreciate the fact we couldn't wait a few months for the UN to assist us, don't appreciate being lied to.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:02 pm
Well, you can't have it both ways, eventually decisive action has to be taken.

David Kay surmised that Saddam probably thought he had WMD's, and if he didn't think it he still kept the beware of dog sign on the door.

I don't like being lied to either and I hate that the intelligence was insufficient, bogus or whatever....but Saddam's deposing was long overdue and no one is to blame but himself.

We do have interest in the region, no doubt many political reasons to do it and we are not the only country who had zillions of dollars and interest at stake there.
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 03:40 am
McGentrix writes
Quote:
I thought it was a liberal no-no to be religious and a public figure...

Obviously, you thought wrong. Laughing
You clearly have a limited understanding of liberals. Like Gore I'm a liberal and a Christian. I separate my religious beliefs from my political ideology. I don't advocate for laws that promote my religion and entangle it with government affairs. We are a nation of many religions. We are not limited to Christianity. Unlike the Reagan conservatives of today who readily mixes Christianity with government, true liberals know that such actions are very unhealthy to a thriving democracy.
0 Replies