Why Should girls be alowed on boys sports teams???

markr

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:35 pm
Coxswain?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:27 am
In the event that the men's section pays better and a girl has the talent, then of course she should be allowed to play. Of course there needs to be separate teams so girls can play many sports and be competitive, but it is just flat out wrong to try to limit them if there is more to gain in the men's league (which is frequently the case)... or in any case where there is no girls league.

If a little boy can't handle losing to a girl; tough luck. I'd prefer he learn to deal with that as a child… with supervision. Idea

Any girl who could kick a 60 yard field goal would be welcome on my football team... as well as every other... and rightly so. Pro scouts look for talent in College. College scouts find the scholarship players in high school. It would be wrong to deny a girl the same opportunity as the boys.

Letting girls play on boys sports teams, or believing they should be allowed to, is not necessarily advocating abolishing girl's teams. The only way you could make a true reverse parallel would be in a sport where women are paid better... or no man's team exists (I triple dog dare any dude to get up on that balance beam like the girls do :wink: ).

As for any men who don't think girls can compete in any men's sports; apparently you don't know who this is.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/images/golf/allsport/women/wie/sony04.jpg
How many of you girlymen can drive 300 Yds?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:17 am
well, first of all, as European, I don't consider golf sport Wink Smile Neither male nor female golf of course (nor mixed). Excellent recreation, nice thing for leisure time, but sport...nah, just as well as chess is not sport but mind game (and better females play "male" tournaments as well).

Marathon running is also different thing. That's not same competition, they just start and run together (and there's nothing wrong with that), but female that comes first gets award for first place in female competition, even if she comes 45th for example. And that's also fine.

But Occom Bill has point. I think, and I forgot about that, that there is more difference in payment in USA then in Europe when it comes to some sports, so in a way, yeah...if some top class female basketball player wants to earn more money in NBA that's reason that doesn't exist in reverse situation (male not good enough for NBA but more then good enough for WNBA).

So, I'll change my opinion slightly. I'm allowing money argument Smile although it's again bit tricky. For example in tennis, I think same. US Open just started, and both male and female winner will get absolutely equal amount of money. In many other sports situation is the same (track&field, swimming, table tennis...), and in some, I suppose, even reverse. Male soccer players in Europe earn more then Mia Hamm, but I think Mia Hamm earns more then American male soccer players. So, should guys that play soccer in USA be allowed to play in female league, to earn as much as Mia? Wink
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:20 am
as for unisex teams, generally I don't have nothing against them, but only on lower levels, where people are practicing sport to have fun (which is great by the way). I don't think that basketball unisex league is possible on professional level, at least not one that would attract interest of lot of people and sponsors - simply, all those teams would be much worse then NBA teams.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:34 pm
I don't see a problem with girls being on guys teams if they can compete however if you let girls on guys teams, then you'd have to let guys on girls teams and that could be bad with contact sports. Guys by nature are stronger and bigger than girls. If a girl can compete, great. But most women can't physically compete with men. I know I sure wouldn't want a 200lb man running at me and tackling me to the ground. No chance in hell. Shocked
Non-contact sports are a totally different story all together. I guess I am referring to football and the like.

If you let girls play on which ever team they want you'd have to let the guys play on which ever team they want.

The problem I see is that not all sports have girls teams. Wrestling, for example. There isn't a huge female competitive drive but for those who want it, it isn't available.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
(I knew that about marathons of mixed gender having ranking be separated for male and female, just forgot to mention it.)

I can see reasons for keeping unisex teams. But I also can see that at least for some sports a merit system might let some women into teams at some, er, positions. Okay, how can I phrase that better.. some women could make the team.... oh, you know what I mean.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
If a little boy can't handle losing to a girl; tough luck. I'd prefer he learn to deal with that as a child… with supervision. Idea

This same 'tough luck' theory couild be used to tell little girls who might be good at a sport which only has boys teams. Sorry, tough luck, I hope they learn. Only using what you said.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:23 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

This same 'tough luck' theory couild be used to tell little girls who might be good at a sport which only has boys teams. Sorry, tough luck, I hope they learn. Only using what you said.

You've misunderstood me completely. My point was: Teach the little boy to respect little girls while he's being supervised and before he's in a position to FORCE his belief of superiority on them. Because men are stronger than women (physically), I think it is important that little boys learn to respect girls… and a girl who's better than they are at sports could help enhance that respect. If he already has a predisposition of disrespect for girls, I'd guess there's a better chance of changing this bad attitude if you catch it early. We don't need any more Men who can't handle losing to Women… get it?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
Bill you are a beacon of light in a dark room. Well said! :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
Thanks darlin. Safe to assume you still the master of your domain?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 04:59 pm
If we completely integrate women into mens sports, no matter what the men want, the majority of women would not like it and I'll tell you why. Only a handful of women would actually have teams to play on if men and womens teams were combined. Yes, some women would play and beat out other men, but the majority would lose their opportunity to play the sports they love, so this might end up being counterproductive for the women.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:05 pm
OCCOM BILL, pm's arent working, can you email me the clip anyways?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:11 pm
Should be in your E-Mail box now. (You'll probably want to hit Edit and remove your address before the spammers get it. :wink:)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:10 am
yes Bill, I am....as well as the domain of several others Laughing :wink: . Just kidding.

Anywho, I agree with Carbon to a degree. Most women cannot physically compete with men. But some can and that is the point. Allow women on men's teams if they qualify. As of now, we don't even have an option to try.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
Precisely! I'm not suggesting we change anything accept the answer to the question "Can I tryout for this team?" Everyone deserves the chance.
0 Replies

fballgurl69

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:31 pm
Why Should Girls Be Allowed To Play Guys Sports?
i myself played football my freshman year of high school, and i was better than half the guys on the team Very Happy . no body thought i could do it, but i showed them that i can. so i do believe that girls should be alowed to play guys sports, if they get hurt, so be it, its their choice. i had to get stitches in my arm because i wasn't paying attention, and i have a nasty scar, but i am proud of it because it is a symbol of my hard work and dedication. if i could do it all over again, i would. the only reason why i did quit is that my mom said i shouldn't because she didn't want me to. Crying or Very sad to top it all off, my coaches still tell me i should start to play again. so even though guys tend to be the better athlete, girls can train and develop the same skills as the guys. this is just my opinion though.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:07 pm
OCCOM BILL, that clip is absolutely excelent. I'm glad there are more people in the world who think like me. It's good to know.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:15 pm
Glad to hear you liked it! Please pass it on!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:55 am
Re: Why Should Girls Be Allowed To Play Guys Sports?
fballgurl69 wrote:
i myself played football my freshman year of high school, and i was better than half the guys on the team Very Happy . no body thought i could do it, but i showed them that i can. so i do believe that girls should be alowed to play guys sports, if they get hurt, so be it, its their choice. i had to get stitches in my arm because i wasn't paying attention, and i have a nasty scar, but i am proud of it because it is a symbol of my hard work and dedication. if i could do it all over again, i would. the only reason why i did quit is that my mom said i shouldn't because she didn't want me to. Crying or Very sad to top it all off, my coaches still tell me i should start to play again. so even though guys tend to be the better athlete, girls can train and develop the same skills as the guys. this is just my opinion though.

Most people don't have that kind of determination...well done in showing th world that there are women who can do anything a man can! Smile
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:49 pm
ANYTHING??? Let's not get carried away. For example, a woman can lift wieghts, but the best female wieghtlifter cannot do what the best male wieghtlifter can. So let's not get too liberated by saying women can do anything a man can. Most things, yes, but all things, certainly not.
0 Replies