Why Should girls be alowed on boys sports teams???

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:43 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 21,888 • Replies: 74
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:03 am
Are you serious????
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:49 am
yes i am y should they be allowed?
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:49 am
yes i am y should they be allowed?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:57 am
Reverse the question - Why shouldn't they be allowed? Why are there "boys teams" to begin with? If someone can play the sport why not just let them play?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 05:07 pm
first of all I think much more interesting question is: why do you, unlucky, open topic after topic after topic with same question? it's third at least. do you know to find topics you opened before?

second - fishin', "boys teams" and "girls teams" are there because sport is not politics, economy or any other area where female should and must have equal chances and opportunities.
if you are planning to make unisex sports teams then you will have one female athlete for 1,000 male athletes.
Marion Jones is top class athlete and she deserves all atention she gets, but if it would be society without "boys teams", and therefore "boys competitions", Marion Jones would not be in Top 1000 runners. This is NOT my or anyone opinion, this is pure statistical fact - she rans 10,8 at best on 100 meters - male records in probably every country in the world are better and in USA alone are probably hundreds of males faster then her.

So, sport is one of categories where it's perfectly normal to have male and female competitions. I like to watch WNBA but worst NBA team would destroy best WNBA teams with 40-50 points margin without putting too much effort. So, what do you think would unisex sport bring for females?

Yeah, those few that would be able to compete would be maybe happy that they play in Flames, Indians or Mavericks...but as I said, you would have 1 female athlete on 1000 male athletes, and this is probably also very optimistic guess.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 05:21 pm
And you too myownusername are repeating yourself!!!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 05:30 pm
well, you are right, but I was actually repeating myself in this other topic Smile
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:48 pm
SORRY!
sorry everyone that was my friend kirstyn she really wanted to post another topic of the same..well, topic!! so thats why, username.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:25 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
second - fishin', "boys teams" and "girls teams" are there because sport is not politics, economy or any other area where female should and must have equal chances and opportunities.
if you are planning to make unisex sports teams then you will have one female athlete for 1,000 male athletes.
Marion Jones is top class athlete and she deserves all atention she gets, but if it would be society without "boys teams", and therefore "boys competitions", Marion Jones would not be in Top 1000 runners. This is NOT my or anyone opinion, this is pure statistical fact - she rans 10,8 at best on 100 meters - male records in probably every country in the world are better and in USA alone are probably hundreds of males faster then her.

So several billion females from around the world should be denied the opportunitty to participate simply because of their gender and the fact that there are men who will beat them 99 times out of 100 should they reach the utmost levels in their chosen sport??

Maybe Marion Jones wouldn't be at the top of the pile. So what? (And when did Marion Jones become a "team"?) Should every 5 year old female be denied the opportunity to play soccer, basketball, baseball, bowling, volleyball, etc.. against males that are just as lousy at it as they are?

Quote:
So, what do you think would unisex sport bring for females?

Maybe the opportunity for millions of kids to play together, have fun and figure out that they aren't all that different. And that works for males just as well as it does for females. But I guess the idea of particpating in sports for the purpose of having fun never crossed your mind. It seems you only focus on sports when there is money involved. Not everything in life has to be related to making a buck.

By the way, Marion Jones' personal best at the 100m is 10.65. That would put her at #17 of all time in the Olympic record book when merged with the men's list. Flo Joyner's Olympic time would put her at #15 slot on that list. I doubt there are 1000 men in the world right now that could make the same claim.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:02 am
fishin you are completely mixing things without any sense.
Let's first start with complete nonsense:

1. and most important - Who said anyone should be denied of participating because of gender???????????? you are talking like there are no female teams! I think problem is in your head, not in mine, because it's obvius that you are considering female competition lousy and unadequate - for me Donovan Bailey's win and Marion Jones's win are equal - you seem to have problems.

2. No, Marion Jones' personal best would not put her at #17 of all time record book - that would put her at #17 if you ONLY look winners of Olympic games, or in other words, she is faster then men were at 1924 Olympics.

Here's a first list I jumped too - these are NCAA division II competitors, not a single one of them is even close to Olympics final - guy with best result would have no chance to enter final race at Olympics. 37 of them are faster then best female athlete in world. 37 OF NCAA DIVISION II athletes. So, you can doubt as much as you want that 1.000 men could make the same claim. In Sydney Olympics, all 64 competitors in 2nd round were quicker, and many of those that failed to enter 2nd round. And in Olympics countries are limited you know? USA can have four sprinters, while 100 are faster then 10,65.

1 Lerone Clarke JR Lincoln 10.12
2 Christie VanWyk SR Abilene Chr. 10.22
3 Clement Campbell JR NY Tech 10.26
4 Carlos Moore JR Tam-Kinsvil 10.26
5 Kendall Stevens FR Findlay 10.35
6 Jody Stewart SO Ashland 10.40
7 Marvin Bien-Amie FR Abilene Chr. 10.41
8 Hakeem Mohammed FR NC Central 10.42
9 Jermaine Carpenter SO Pittsburg St 10.43
10 Gregory Bolden FR Albany State 10.44
11 Shaton Palmer FR St. Aug's 10.44
12 Carchell Wright JR Tam-Kinsvil 10.46
13 Andre Faulcon SO Va State 10.47
14 Allen Burrell JR ND State 10.49
15 Jaquon Morrison JR Tam-Kinsvil 10.49
16 Cedric Jordan SO Fort Valley 10.49
17 Micah Arnold JR Northern St. 10.50
18 Lee Prowell JR NY Tech 10.51
19 Delrick Taylor FR TX A&M (Com) 10.51
20 Lawrence Dell SO Lincoln 10.51
21 Clark Spanel SR Neb-Kearney 10.55
22 Tommie Jemerson SR TX A&M (Com) 10.55
23 Jason Johnson JR Cal Poly 10.55
24 Jeremy Singleton SR Tarleton St. 10.56
25 Garrison Martin FR Albany State 10.56
26 Jody Muschette SO Lincoln 10.57
27 Omar Powell JR Angelo State 10.57
28 Harry Williams SR Tuskegee 10.57
29 Chris Baranek SO Saginaw Vall 10.58
30 Todd Dutch SO St. Aug's 10.58
31 Charles Allgood JR Adams State 10.59
32 Cornel Whitney FR Lees McRae 10.61
33 Jeremy Holman JR Unc-Pembroke 10.61
34 Willie Stokes FR St. Aug's 10.61
35 Travis House JR Angelo State 10.63
36 Darian Forbes FR Lincoln 10.63
37 Jason Lopes JR Cs-Bakersfld 10.64
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:08 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
fishin you are completely mixing things without any sense.
Let's first start with complete nonsense:

1. and most important - Who said anyone should be denied of participating because of gender???????????? you are talking like there are no female teams! I think problem is in your head, not in mine, because it's obvius that you are considering female competition lousy and unadequate - for me Donovan Bailey's win and Marion Jones's win are equal - you seem to have problems.

So where are all these girls teams? Where are all the girls Little League baseball teams? Where are the girls football teams? Where are the girls hockey teams?

The only thing "obvious" here is that you aren't paying attention and you're making a lot of clueless assumptions without bothering to address the issue. Why do you hate women so much?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:13 am
and, with all due respect, spare me of whining like "we should all have fun". Because NOBODY IN THIS TOPIC IS NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT. Got it? Boys and girls everywhere can and should have good time together and they can play sports, music, theatre or whatever together. Yeah, we SHOULD all have fun together.
This topis is NOT about that.
This topic is about sports teams. Boys or girls or boys and girls together playing in their street is not "sport team". Boys and girls playing together when they are 8 years old is not "sport team".

Finally, by your posts, I really think that you are not aware of existance of female sport on top level. Fact that USA is country with worst covering of Olympics on all planet (that's true, that has nothing to with offending someone) is probably the reason.

And once again, as I already mentioned, different story is when there is no adequate female competition in some particular sport. But it's almost impossible to find such sport today.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:13 am
No, they should not be allowed to compete directly with boys. For the reason that it's important for children to engage in physical activity. If those boys who are not talented at sport are forced to lose to girls, then they simply won't participate. Save equality for education, the workplace, opportunities-but in childrens sport, no way, no how, not under any circumstances.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:20 am
look fishin' only one that is hating someone here is you. I don't think that anyone with minimal intelligence who actually read my posts would make such assumption, except in case he or she is hater him/herself. Of course, or his or her IQ is way below minimal border required for understanding so he or she cames with such ideas that someone who simply claims that men are faster then women is actually hating women.

So, maybe this kind of pathetic accusation works good in your environment but spare me of it.

As of other part of your post - well, I don't know. I am glad to inform you that there is world outside USA as well. And in this world, in Europe particularly, there are female teams in all major or minor sports. What is going on with sports that are played almost exclusively in USA I really have no idea. we were talking on general level - I am sure there are no much female teams in Saudi Arabia as well, but I am not taking them as example.

And even if what you say is true that still doesn't change my opinion a bit - cause, ONCE AGAIN (getting tired of it), I pointed several times that different story is in sports where there is no adequate female competition. And I am not surprised that there are no female teams in american football because I doubt many girls are interested in it, as well as there are surely no male teams in synchronized swimming.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:22 am
Wilso wrote:
No, they should not be allowed to compete directly with boys. For the reason that it's important for children to engage in physical activity. If those boys who are not talented at sport are forced to lose to girls, then they simply won't participate. Save equality for education, the workplace, opportunities-but in childrens sport, no way, no how, not under any circumstances.

I totally agree. With addition that different gender competitions are not "un-equality". It's simply normal. Fighting for equal opportunities (and I completely agree with that fight) does not mean that genders are equal in every possible characteristics. Men are faster and stronger. That does not mean that men are better. That's just a simple fact. They simply are.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:25 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
and, with all due respect, spare me of whining like "we should all have fun". Because NOBODY IN THIS TOPIC IS NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT. Got it? Boys and girls everywhere can and should have good time together and they can play sports, music, theatre or whatever together. Yeah, we SHOULD all have fun together.
This topis is NOT about that.
This topic is about sports teams. Boys or girls or boys and girls together playing in their street is not "sport team". Boys and girls playing together when they are 8 years old is not "sport team".

Excuse me but you are simply full of crap. First of all, no where in the question is there any limiting the discussion to professional level sports. That's something you DREAMED UP. The topic is wide open at ANY team sports.

Secondly, there are THOUSANDS of organized team sports played by kids around the world starting at age 4 or 5.

Maybe it's time you turned off the TV set and discovered what the rest of the world is up to.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:28 am
okay - seconds after you actually read full posts. if 15-20 lines is too long for you that's okay, but then you should stay out of debate.
oh, wait, I actually discovered rest of the world. you?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:31 am
A "debate" would require someone taking your position that has a clue. You've demonstrated that you don't have one.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:34 am
yeah, you are right. you are completely right. hooray for you. we all love you. and you are faster then us
0 Replies