Vaping is all the rage!!

FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:53 am
@Germlat,
What action has the USFDA taken that has been agreed upon by the global medical science community?
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:55 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

What action has the USFDA taken that has been agreed upon by the global medical science community?

The action to regulate...
FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:56 am
@Germlat,
That was agreed upon by the global medical science community?
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:01 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

That was agreed upon by the global medical science community?

I'm not sure about globally..but it definitely was enough here in the U.S. There are certainly international studies though...are there any NEW issues the global community can agree on? It takes time and perseverance ... This is a new phenomena.
FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:14 am
@Germlat,
I agree. It takes time before it's safe to reach a conclusion. You seem to have reached yours already. Am I wrong about that? Your posts seem to convey a clear bias...
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:25 am
@FBM,
Ok...and so has the FDA and numerous scientists...do let me know when you're finally satisfied..
FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:47 am
@Germlat,
The FDA is not a global organization and "numerous scientists" do not make a global consensus. Numerous scientists also conclude that vaping is a fine alternative to smoking real cigarettes. When there is a clear consensus, I will go with the scientists' conclusion. I will not indulge in a feel-good claim based on a personal bias. You, of course, are free to do whatever you think is best. I make a clear distinction between "I think X is bad/wrong/unhealthy so I won't do it" and "I think X is bad/wrong/unhealthy so YOU shouldn't do it."
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:50 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

The FDA is not a global organization and "numerous scientists" do not make a global consensus. Numerous scientists also conclude that vaping is a fine alternative to smoking real cigarettes. When there is a clear consensus, I will go with the scientists' conclusion. I will not indulge in a feel-good claim based on a personal bias. You, of course, are free to do whatever you think is best. I make a clear distinction between "I think X is bad/wrong/unhealthy so I won't do it" and "I think X is bad/wrong/unhealthy so YOU shouldn't do it."

I'm aware the FDA is not global...shocker!!! Do as you will...you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink...if you still don't see as unhealthy....it's a done deal.
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:55 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

I'm aware the FDA is not global...shocker!!! Do as you will...you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink...if you still don't see as unhealthy....it's a done deal. Go ahead and bathe your lungs in glycerine and consume great amounts of nicotine....yeah, that's healthy.
FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:10 am
@Germlat,
You don't seem to comprehend the difference between "healthy," "relatively safe,"and "safe." Nor do you seem to comprehend the concept of a global scientific consensus. The world is not limited to the American perspective, you see. Pure science is independent of cultural/political predispositions and preferences. Marijuana, for example, was classified by the FDA as a Schedule I drug, right up there with heroin and cocaine. What a joke in the scientific community. In light of that, do you seriously think the FDA is free of political influence? Seriously? I will wait until there is a clearly unbiased, global scientific agreement, then I will act accordingly. I will not submit to under-informed, knee-jerk, biased claims. If you don't like it, don't do it. But don't try to push off your politically correct, insufficiently supported claims on me. I will continue to make my decisions based on genuine data, not feel-good intentions.
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:26 am
@FBM,
Global consensus? I take it you're not a scientist. You refuse to acknowledge there is ample cause for concern and that lay people think it's healthy. So disregard the studies and carry on...I'm not interested in convincing you if empirical evidence cannot. If I had given a crap about the thumbs up or down, I wouldn't have gone into the field of science ....that type of thing fuels a different type of individual...
edgarblythe

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:36 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Impartial? I don't see it happening.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 01:11 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

roger wrote:

Didn't read a one of them, did you?

So, post your own.

Plenty of them out there....I'm really not trying to convince anyone.

"Plenty of them out there." is not a valid citation.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 01:15 pm
@Germlat,
I don't know what "action to regulate" means. What the FDA is currently working on is deeming the liquids and devices to be tobacco products.
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 05:04 pm
@roger,
Then think about the implications: regulations on marketing, sales, distribution....applying restrictions , warning labels, etc. One of the regulations on tobacco is it can't have flavors other than menthol, purchases have to be face to face....
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 05:19 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I don't know what "action to regulate" means. What the FDA is currently working on is deeming the liquids and devices to be tobacco products.

Taken action to regulate as in developing a set of rules which will legally control the product.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 05:37 pm
@Germlat,
The implications of what?

Regarding flavors, the question should be why they are limited, especially considering Nicorette gum comes with five http://www.nicorette.com/nicorette-gum/ flavors.
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 05:45 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

The implications of what?

Regarding flavors, the question should be why they are limited, especially considering Nicorette gum comes with five http://www.nicorette.com/nicorette-gum/ flavors.

Nicorette gum is ingested orally like food not inhaled.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:41 pm
@Germlat,
Quite to the contrary. I acknowledge all the empirical evidence and studies, not just the ones I prefer.
roger

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:50 pm
@FBM,
I could probably find you a dozen or more legitimate sources of negative information. I'm afraid I'm just not in the business of feeding someone's little vendetta.