Vaping is all the rage!!

roger

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 02:42 am
@luismtzzz,
I think I found the second article cited. Good find. Someone mentioned higher addictiveness than heroin and/or cocaine. That is what I was really questioning.
hawkeye10

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:04 am
@luismtzzz,
Quote:
in high doses can be lethal

pretty much everything becomes toxic in high enough doses, so that is not saying anything interesting

Quote:
Is a highly adictive substance that has multiple side effects and

I am addicted to food too, but I dont consider that to be a problem. Why is nicotine in moderation bad for me? Is there any science to this effect?
luismtzzz

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:06 am
@roger,
Yes it has been suggested its capability to be more addictive even than heroin and cocaine. The fact that its concentration on a cigarette is low but still manages to cause addiction is amazing.

There had been studies that nicotine messes with many brain neurons that are involved in saticfaction, pleasure and reward system. There is even a study on the capacity of some individuals to be more suceptible to addiction, due to a normal variant of a receptor protein in their brains.

Nicotine is a nasty hell of a drug. It may have many applications if studied properly. In the mean time anyone who prefers vaping should be well informed. At least as a non smoker, it makes that the risk of cancer stays only in the user. It is unfair that those who never smoke develop cancer.
luismtzzz

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Actually i have no problem with people who smoke. You can inhale any quantity of tobaco you want. Just evade having your non smoking family members and peers exposed to second hand smoke.

Technically yes, anything is toxic in high dosis. Air is toxic, it takes 60 to 90 years for oxigen to kill us. Water is toxic, the problem is that we may die of drowning before getting intoxicated by it. I should had been more specific.

Actually i am addicted to foood also. Actually cocaine uses a neurinal reward pathway that is primarily used in the brain for rewarding after eating sugar. That is why the image of a heartbroken woman is a girl eating icecream directly from the bucket. Sugars have antidepressive effects on the brain and cause euforia and satisfaction. But sugars also kill us slowly by acelerating protein oxidation.

The pint i tried to make is about personal decisions. You may smoke any quantity you want, just avoid harming others. Vaping at least leaves the risk of cancer out for second hand inhalers. But your risk with nicotine continues.
Germlat

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 08:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote me then. I'm not interested in outlawing anything.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 10:49 am
@hawkeye10,
I used to so agree with you and I was a non-smoker. I worked in hospitality and as a child of the fifties I lived all around smokers, it never ever bothered me.

Now I have bladder cancer - a tobacco related cancer. The VA (from whom I get my treatment) released a study - Pot smokers are less likely to get bladder cancer. So second hand tobacco smoke gave me cancer, but it could have been worse. Good thing I'm a pot head.
hawkeye10

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 02:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I used to so agree with you and I was a non-smoker. I worked in hospitality and as a child of the fifties I lived all around smokers, it never ever bothered me.

Now I have bladder cancer - a tobacco related cancer. The VA (from whom I get my treatment) released a study - Pot smokers are less likely to get bladder cancer. So second hand tobacco smoke gave me cancer, but it could have been worse. Good thing I'm a pot head.

How do you know that smoking is the cause of yours? Is there some test for that?

Quote:
The researchers estimated that smoking is responsible for about half of female bladder cancer cases—similar to the proportion found in men in this and previous studies. The increase in the proportion of smoking-attributable bladder cancer cases among women is likely explained by the greater prevalence of smoking among women.

The researchers found a stronger association between smoking and bladder cancer in this study than previously reported. Former smokers were twice as likely to develop bladder cancer as those who never smoked, and current smokers were 4 times more likely.

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/august2011/08292011cancer.htm
hawkeye10

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 02:38 pm
@luismtzzz,
Quote:
But your risk with nicotine continues.

What risk is that? Do you have even one study that shows that the negatives outweigh the positives in our bodies, IE that ingestion tends to shorten lives? I find none, all I find are zealots who dont want me to have nicotine saying that it does this bad thing or that so I should avoid it. They never talk about the good stuff, they never evaluate.
roger

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 02:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Lung cancer is regarded as a smoking related disease. The 10% lung cancer deaths of people who never smoked are listed as "smoking related deaths".
edgarblythe

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 02:46 pm
The relatives of mine that died of cancer had tobacco to blame. One smoked heavily and the other spent his non working time in places frequented by heavy smokers. It was far from pleasant for them, at the end.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 02:47 pm
a few years a go when the Twilight books and films were in, vamping was all the rage

now it's vaping

what next, aping, and after that ping, and after that ing (which used to be a bank in Canada, but they now call themselves Tangerine) and eventually in and then i

if i can hold on long enough i will be the rage

sweet
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 03:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Lung cancer is regarded as a smoking related disease. The 10% lung cancer deaths of people who never smoked are listed as "smoking related deaths".

And some claim that smoking is the cause of 90% of lung cancer, but I want to see the work.

Quote:
Based on United States statistics, the lifetime risk that a man will develop lung cancer is 7.62%, or 1 in 13 people. For women, lifetime risk is 6.61% or 1 in 15.

http://lungcancer.about.com/od/Lung-Cancer-And-Smoking/f/Smokers-Lung-Cancer.htm

Quote:
Lung cancer mainly occurs in older people. About 2 out of 3 people diagnosed with lung cancer are 65 or older; fewer than 2% of all cases are found in people younger than 45. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 70.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/lungcancer-non-smallcell/detailedguide/non-small-cell-lung-cancer-key-statistics

Well ****, if dieing at 75 is optimal then I seriously doubt that lung cancer is going to mess up my life. Might as well enjoy tobacco.

ossobuco

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 03:23 pm
COPD is not fun either and can make last years or decade hard.
hawkeye10

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
One thing to remember is that according to the experts we all need to die of something, dying of old age is not allowed, so the stats are a mess. x% die of xyz is pretty meaningless a lot of the time. What I look at is how many years does xyz on average remove from my life, and how much quality does it remove. Re quality, if I like smoking and it adds to my life for 50 years how do I dont know that this extra quality does not out weight the decrease in quality at the end due to cancer? I dont.

Most of the time I get the sense that those talking to me about health and trying to tell me how I should live my life are fundamentalists who are not playing straight with the facts. Lets just say that I dont swoon at their pronouncements.
Germlat

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 03:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm still waiting for you to prove to me that I desire to take away your rights. Maybe you have me confused with another poster. I think people are risk takers in different ways. I don't think smoking or drinking (or gambling) should be illegal. But--that doesn't mean I think the risk talking choices are necessarily wise. I think it's a load of pooh to have anyone tell you what to do with your body( unless it affects others). That includes, McDonalds trying to force someone to eat apple slices rather than, french fries with their burger. I love red meat and I'll eat as much as I care to have....even though it's not wise.
Germlat

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

COPD is not fun either and can make last years or decade hard.

I agree. I think it's not that a behavior shaves off years off your life. That would be ok. But-- it's not about dying but, how things affect you while your still living. It is the misery of chronic and progressive illnesses that's difficult. My uncle is oxygen dependent and has been for 20 years. Also--he has been nearly home bound for at least that long(he can't tolerate activity). He was a heavy smoker.
edgarblythe

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:08 pm
My father in law. Heavy smoker. Both of his lungs collapsed, multiple times. They put some kind of rigid coating on them to keep them up. On oxygen. He constantly asked me for cigarettes. I never had any. The VA put him on a treadmill in that condition, then told him they could not afford to give him more oxygen. He died of pneumonia.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:19 pm
@Germlat,
Yeah, there is that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:24 pm
@Germlat,
The neat thing is that red meat is less bad than it was considered for many years.
Excess probably not a great idea, but some is fine according to many (many what, many experts) now.
Germlat

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:27 pm
@luismtzzz,
There are conflicting studies on exactly how much nicotine is absorbed by exposing the lungs to nicotine vapor. We have not conclusively determined that...we need more studies. There are no studies that prove that long term exposure of the lungs to vegetable Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, or flavorings is safe. Nicotine is a stimulant , but also a vasoconstrictor. People are zoning in on the lungs only( even though we don't know if it's safe). People forget about the effects on the vascular system. Women on contraceptives who vape, will continue to have a high risk of developing cerebrovascular accidents, as well as Deep Vein Thrombosis. People are under the impression that this practice is not hazardous to health. Those with high cholesterol and vascular issues of any kind are at particularly high risk of developing vascular injuries.
0 Replies