Vaping is all the rage!!

Germlat

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 07:19 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Didn't read a one of them, did you?

So, post your own.

Plenty of them out there....I'm really not trying to convince anyone. I know most people are intelligent enough to seek information for themselves. I wasn't even very knowledgable when I started this thread. I've done a pretty good bit of reading myself...my point was I felt something was missing...people accepting something and thinking it's healthy...I smelled a rat.
roger

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 08:00 pm
@Germlat,
Okay. You posted that nicotine from e-cigs was more deadly than tars from burning tobacco and I've been thinking you whole thread was more agenda than fact driven ever since.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:54 pm
One thing to be noted: They always publish studies that prove a product is safe, when they go after your money. Then, months or even years later, you find out the studies were flawed or even faked. Almost every time the FDA approves of drugs that they then advertise on TV and rake in a billion dollars gets lawsuits because they caused bleeding to death, or cancer, or fill in the blank. Vaping may turn out to be safe enough. Glad I am not the one to find out.
FBM

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, drug companies on one side, Big Tobacco on the other. I remain skeptical until something conclusive comes in from an impartial source. Of course, with the influence coming from behind the scenes, who's to say who's impartial?
Germlat

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:23 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Yeah, drug companies on one side, Big Tobacco on the other. I remain skeptical until something conclusive comes in from an impartial source. Of course, with the influence coming from behind the scenes, who's to say who's impartial?

What's considered conclusive for you?
FBM

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:29 pm
@Germlat,
A clear concensus in the community of relevant experts.
Germlat

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

One thing to be noted: They always publish studies that prove a product is safe, when they go after your money. Then, months or even years later, you find out the studies were flawed or even faked. Almost every time the FDA approves of drugs that they then advertise on TV and rake in a billion dollars gets lawsuits because they caused bleeding to death, or cancer, or fill in the blank. Vaping may turn out to be safe enough. Glad I am not the one to find out.

You're right if course... I'm just glad some attention has been drawn to this ...even from the FDA...instead of people thinking it's completely harmless.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:32 pm
@FBM,
Impartial? I don't see it happening.
FBM

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:34 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Impartial? I don't see it happening.

It won't be easy and probably not quick, either, but the medical scientific community has reached a concensus on lots of health issues. They're pretty clear on the fact that smoking causes cancer, for example.
0 Replies

Germlat

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:34 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I'm going to require clarification on clear...:-)
FBM

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:35 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

I'm going to require clarification on clear...:-)

Laughing Well, something along the lines of what I mentioned above. Like the vast majority agreeing that cigarettes cause cancer.
roger

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:42 pm
@FBM,
I wonder what happened with that cancer thing. We were calling cigarettes 'cancer sticks' and 'coffin nails' back in the '50s. They're still here.
FBM

Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:47 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I wonder what happened with that cancer thing. We were calling cigarettes 'cancer sticks' and 'coffin nails' back in the '50s. They're still here.

Yeah, people still have the right to do unhealthy things, but at least they're making informed poor choices.
Germlat

Sat 8 Nov, 2014 03:49 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

roger wrote:

Yeah, people still have the right to do unhealthy things, but at least they're making informed poor choices.

That's exactly my point. As long as we're aware it's cool with me.
0 Replies

Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:42 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

The problem is taking sides and waving flags before the consensus is reached. If you'll forgive me for saying so, that's what you seem to be doing with your anti-e-cig posts.

That's preposterous...we have a good number of studies to indicate direction. The FDA seems to agree.
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:44 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Didn't read a one of them, did you?

So, post your own.

Of course I did and also cited my sources on the thread. And the sources were not from bs magazines.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:55 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

The problem is taking sides and waving flags before the consensus is reached. If you'll forgive me for saying so, that's what you seem to be doing with your anti-e-cig posts.

That's preposterous...we have a good number of studies to indicate direction. The FDA seems to agree.

Am I (and others) wrong in thinking that I see a clear bias in your presentation on this issue? There are studies both pro and con, but no overall consensus. You seem to be cherry picking the cons, but I'm suspending judgement altogether until the science is clear. I'm fine if it eventually agrees with your preferred outcome, but until such time, I'm unwilling to make a declaration.
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:36 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

Am I (and others) wrong in thinking that I see a clear bias in your presentation on this issue? There are studies both pro and con, but no overall consensus. You seem to be cherry picking the cons, but I'm suspending judgement altogether until the science is clear. I'm fine if it eventually agrees with your preferred

outcome, but until such time, I'm unwilling to make a declaration.

As long as people see they have prematurely judged this practice ( particularly young people) as completely safe...I'm ok. The rest is history. Hopefully I was able to at least establish that. Many of my sons friends are doing this thinking it's healthy.
FBM

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:45 am
@Germlat,
What I'm getting at is that you seem to have pre-judged it as practically deadly without waiting for the scientific community at large to decide. Also, there's a difference between healthy, relatively healthy and safe. I doubt anybody thinks that they're going to improve their health by vaping, which would be implied by the adjective "healthy." Wink
Germlat

Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:49 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

What I'm getting at is that you seem to have pre-judged it as practically deadly without waiting for the scientific community at large to decide. Also, there's a difference between healthy, relatively healthy and safe. I doubt anybody thinks that they're going to improve their health by vaping, which would be implied by the adjective "healthy." Wink

No...I had read abut it. Knowing chemical compounds I knew it couldn't possibly be healthy. As far as improving health no...I meant harmless to our health...the scientific community has decided...that's why the FDA has taken action....