Tue 11 Nov, 2014 12:18 am
Quote:
FDA, e-cigarettes, and demise of combusted tobacco
Date:
October 15, 2014
Source:
Georgetown University Medical Center
Summary:
Two professors explore the popularity of e-cigarettes and point out that they could lead to the 'demise' of cigarette smoking and save thousands of lives, but not until they are proven safe and are regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration.

The popularity of E-cigarettes could lead to the "demise" of cigarette smoking and save thousands of lives, but not until they are proven safe and are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). That's the message from two Georgetown University Medical Center researchers in a perspective piece published Oct. 16 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Food and Drug Administration
In "The FDA, E-Cigarettes, and the Demise of Combusted Tobacco," Nathan K. Cobb, MD, and David B. Abrams, PhD, call on the FDA "to accelerate their regulations to eliminate uncertainty regarding safety, drive the substitution and use of clean nicotine, and hasten the demise of lethal combusted tobacco."
The authors point out that some published studies of e-cigarette devices suggest that they can be as safe and effective as nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products such as gum, patches and inhalers that are regulated by the FDA.
However, the authors explain that the "safety of individual devices cannot be assumed" because of "various chemicals and aerosolization techniques resulting in variable nicotine and contaminant delivery."
In addition to the FDA regulation of e-cigarettes, Cobb and Abrams suggest the agency use its authority to "cripple the addictive potential of lethal combusted products by mandating reduction of nicotine levels to below those of e-cigarettes and NRT products and eliminating flavorings." They also advocate for minimizing taxes on NRT while increasing taxes on cigarettes.
Finally, Cobb and Abrams call on the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research to streamline the approval process and remove regulatory burdens for companies willing to invest in research and development of clean-nicotine products like e-cigarettes.
"If e-cigarettes... are thoughtfully regulated, they could play the same role as NRT, but at a truly national population scale. Their use could shift smokers permanently away from lethal cigarettes to cleaner, safer nicotine products, saving innumerable lives," they conclude.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141015190822.htm
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 11 Nov, 2014 12:19 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Keep the chick; nix the mill.

There are hotties there in the gym, but they spend most of their time on the 'mills, so...
roger

Tue 11 Nov, 2014 01:42 am
@FBM,
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but you ain't gonna catch anyone on a treadmill.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 11 Nov, 2014 03:29 am
Dammit. So I've been wasting all that time and energy. Sad
0 Replies

NoraDixon

Fri 21 Nov, 2014 02:55 am
@Germlat,
For three years now, I quit smoking for my health purposes. I never tried any alternatives because my family advised me if I want to give up smoking, I should give it up fully. I experienced fatigue, depression, insomnia and many other withdrawal symptoms, but fortunately, got the support I needed and become successful with what I wanted.
roger

Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:08 am
@NoraDixon,
I'm happy for your success, however you did it.
Germlat

Fri 21 Nov, 2014 04:54 am
@NoraDixon,
Congrats Nora! How long were you a smoker?
LeilaniWilson

Sun 23 Nov, 2014 08:07 pm
@FBM,
Nice to know that you're considering to embrace a healthy lifestyle now. Continue to be fit! That's awesome!
0 Replies

NoraDixon

Fri 28 Nov, 2014 01:05 am
@Germlat,
@Germlat, I've been smoking for almost 4 years. I tried and tried on giving up, but during my first attempt, I failed. I went back to smoking for three months, but decided to give it up again. And on the second try, I did it successfully. The quitting process was really hard, but worth it.
NoraDixon

Fri 28 Nov, 2014 01:09 am
@roger,
@roger, Thank you. That was really one of the hardest process I have done in my whole life. Thanks to my family and friends for being supportive and motivators as well. I can def say that I quit smoking for good.
0 Replies

Germlat

Fri 28 Nov, 2014 05:29 am
@NoraDixon,
NoraDixon wrote:

@Germlat, I've been smoking for almost 4 years. I tried and tried on giving up, but during my first attempt, I failed. I went back to smoking for three months, but decided to give it up again. And on the second try, I did it successfully. The quitting process was really hard, but worth it.

Thanks for replying. I love a success story. You go girl!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 18 Jan, 2019 12:39 pm
@Germlat,
E-cigarettes/vaping clearly isn't a miracle replacement for cigarettes.
farmerman

Fri 18 Jan, 2019 05:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think its peakked. Weve already lost everal vape shops in the Lancaster County area. (maybe the new mary jqne laws hve cut the bloom)
Looks like theres too much **** you gotta carry around just to look like an old steam engine. the Fuckin vape dingus looks like a bigass harmonica. First time I saw a guy with a vaping gizmo, I though he was gonna start playin some Dylan on the street .
hightor

Sat 19 Jan, 2019 08:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Looks like theres too much **** you gotta carry around just to look like an old steam engine.

Nice!
tsarstepan

Sat 19 Jan, 2019 09:35 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Looks like theres too much **** you gotta carry around just to look like an old steam engine.

Nice!

But isn't Steampunk all the rage these days? Surprised

Wink
0 Replies

rajvirsingh

Thu 2 May, 2019 02:03 am
@Germlat,
Vaping products is good
0 Replies