Vaping is all the rage!!

Germlat

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 03:21 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Germlat wrote:

What about unregulated nicotine ? Plus-- an inhaler is not addictive ...used maybe twice daily if that. Vaper users depending on dependance use as much as every 15 minutes ...if not more. But--if you think denial makes you cool...be my guest.

I honestly do not follow your reasoning then, nor how you are planning to get wherever you are trying to go.

I seriously thought the inhalers being discussed were medications, such as Atrovent/ Albuterol.. Simple misunderstanding.
0 Replies

LeilaniWilson

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 02:29 am
There's nothing wrong to try other alternatives to help yourself stop smoking or quit it for good. But yes, you have to consider as well if what at stake in it. If this alternative is proving its effectiveness, then you must go for it, but if its only causing you another pain, then put an end on it. I guess the most important thing is that, you need to have the discipline and respect to your body to be able to find a good way lo leave your habit of smoking.
FBM

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:42 am
@LeilaniWilson,
So far, it's been a big step-down for me. The most I've ever smoked was a pack a day of ultra-lights. Now it's just a couple with breakfast and a couple late at night. I doubt that much puts me in much of a health danger, but I'm feeling less and less like smoking the real thing is enjoyable. The e-cig is my go-to now.
farmerman

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:52 am
@FBM,
you can up the hit by inducing a bit of ingle malt scotch into the vapor. I think booze vaping was the model for all this present nonsense
FBM

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 09:58 am
@farmerman,
Laughing I'll keep that in mind, but I'm also cutting back on the booze...
Germlat

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 10:19 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I find it interesting many people choose their vape according to taste not strength ...watermelon flavor( whatever).. Most people don't even know what strength of nicotine they're inhaling or how much nicotine they're consuming. Different pipes have varied sized reservoirs to make it more confusing. So--they DON'T know what their intake is...it reminds me of the waiter that keeps filling the glass of wine, while the customer says, " I don't know why I'm drunk....I only had one glass of wine". Nicotine can vasoconstrict your vessels and cause as deadly side effects as tar can. But--as long as you know what you're getting into, I'm not interested in curtailing anyone's freedom.
Germlat

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 11:43 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you can up the hit by inducing a bit of ingle malt scotch into the vapor. I think booze vaping was the model for all this present nonsense

Make mine a Macallan 1926.
0 Replies

LeilaniWilson

Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:41 pm
@FBM,
Good to know that you're doing all you can to completely leave the cigarette smoking habit and consider your health more than ever. Let me know if how are you coping with e-cigarette as an alternative.
roger

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:12 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

I find it interesting many people choose their vape according to taste not strength ...watermelon flavor( whatever).. Most people don't even know what strength of nicotine they're inhaling or how much nicotine they're consuming. Where on earth are they buying their liquids. Even the crap they sell in gas stations states the nicotine content.

Different pipes have varied sized reservoirs to make it more confusing.

Pipes? Just what are you talking about? Yeah, some devices have different capacities. Hey, not all fruit jars have the same capacities. Are you thinking the entire tank is inhaled in one fell swoop? I think you owe yourself some education. So--they DON'T know what their intake is...it reminds me of the waiter that keeps filling the glass of wine, while the customer says, " I don't know why I'm drunk....I only had one glass of wine". Nicotine can vasoconstrict your vessels and cause as deadly side effects as tar can. You are just flat making that up. Period.

But--as long as you know what you're getting into, I'm not interested in curtailing anyone's freedom.
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:36 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

I find it interesting many people choose their vape according to taste not strength ...watermelon flavor( whatever).. Most people don't even know what strength of nicotine they're inhaling or how much nicotine they're consuming. Different pipes have varied sized reservoirs to make it more confusing. So--they DON'T know what their intake is...it reminds me of the waiter that keeps filling the glass of wine, while the customer says, " I don't know why I'm drunk....I only had one glass of wine". Nicotine can vasoconstrict your vessels and cause as deadly side effects as tar can. But--as long as you know what you're getting into, I'm not interested in curtailing anyone's freedom.

Mmm...not sure where you're getting your information, but when I buy vape juice online, I have a choice of several strengths. I have to consciously choose which one I want and click on it. And when I go into a local shop to buy some, they have to ask me what strength I want, because in most brands the nicotine and diluent are in different bottles. They make it the strength I ask for. Which is always medium and tobacco-flavored for me.

Even when I buy it pre-mixed from the shop, they ask which strength I want. I know exactly how much nicotine I'm getting.
FBM

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:39 am
@LeilaniWilson,
LeilaniWilson wrote:

Good to know that you're doing all you can to completely leave the cigarette smoking habit and consider your health more than ever. Let me know if how are you coping with e-cigarette as an alternative.

Not sure how to answer the "if how." I've reduced my cigarette consumption by approximately 2/3 by vaping instead. Further reduction will be gradual. I don't think I smoke enough "analog" cigarettes to be a health hazard at this point. But I agree, in general, that none is better than any. Smile
Germlat

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 06:24 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Germlat wrote:

FBM wrote:

Mmm...not sure where you're getting your information, but when I buy vape juice online, I have a choice of several strengths. I have to consciously choose which one I want and click on it. And when I go into a local shop to buy some, they have to ask me what strength I want, because in most brands the nicotine and diluent are in different bottles. They make it the strength I ask for. Which is always medium and tobacco-flavored for me.

Even when I buy it pre-mixed from the shop, they ask which strength I want. I know exactly how much nicotine I'm getting.

You don't understand what I mean. The effects have not as much to do with strength but actual quantity ingested. For instance, an average cigarrette yields about 1 mg of inhaled nicotine. It's clear and concise. With vapes there are numerous variables that involved. There is the dilution factor, the size of pipe reservoir, drippings from the liquid, etc. I know the premixed liquids are sold in percentages per volume....18%,6%,24%, etc. Most people can't tell you how many milligrams of nicotine /milliliter. The average person doesn't seem to know how exactly how many milligrams of nicotine they are consuming daily.
FBM

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 06:40 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

You don't understand what I mean. The effects have not as much to do with strength but actual quantity ingested. For instance, an average cigarrette yields about 1 mg of inhaled nicotine. It's clear and concise. With vapes there are numerous variables that involved. There is the dilution factor, the size of pipe reservoir, drippings from the liquid, etc. I know the premixed liquids are sold in percentages per volume....18%,6%,24%, etc. Most people can't tell you how many milligrams of nicotine /milliliter. The average person doesn't seem to know how exactly how many milligrams of nicotine they are consuming daily.

Well, I'm not going to speak for most people, as I haven't interviewed them all, but I'm just going to say that that hasn't been my experience. For example, I bought a bottle today and the lady who mixed it told me that it has 5mg of nicotine per 3ml of solution. Also, I'm not sure how the size of the reservoir would affect how much you ingest. Seems to me that it would depend solely on how much you inhale. Also unclear about drippings, as I've never had any significant problem with them.

If I cared enough to keep a log, I could measure exactly how much solution I used daily and extrapolate from that the pretty exact amount of nicotine I'd consumed. I don't know anybody who does that, but in the end, I'm far less concerned with nicotine than with the buttloads of carcinogens in analog cigs. The effects of nicotine are transient, while those of the carcinogens are cumulative.
0 Replies

Germlat

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 06:44 am
In other words, most people can tell you they vape X amount pipeful per day, and that it's X strength, but haven't a clue as to how many milligrams they've ingested.....let alone how many milligrams are considered harmful or what changes this habit is causing in their bodies.
FBM

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 06:55 am
@Germlat,
I'm not sure how you got that from what I said; I thought I said pretty much the opposite. And again, I can't speak for most people because I haven't asked them about it.
Germlat

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:04 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I'm not sure how you got that from what I said; I thought I said pretty much the opposite. And again, I can't speak for most people because I haven't asked them about it.

I wasn't referring to you in particular...but--you did say you would know if you cared to keep a log...try this as an experiment....Ask people who vape this question: How many milligrams of nicotine do you use per day?. The answer from most will be, X pipeful (s) of X strength. The young people in particular. I started asking out of curiosity and that's the answer I usually get. As far as reservoirs, ask how many milliliters their pipe chamber holds.
FBM

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 07:15 am
@Germlat,
Thing is, I simply don't know most people. Even if I asked everyone I know, that's going to be an insignificant fraction of the total number of vapers. In any event, I'll keep my eyes on the news for vaping-related health repercussions, and if I see anything that concerns me, I'll quit.
Germlat

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 09:52 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Thing is, I simply don't know most people. Even if I asked everyone I know, that's going to be an insignificant fraction of the total number of vapers. In any event, I'll keep my eyes on the news for vaping-related health repercussions, and if I see anything that concerns me, I'll quit.

E-cig vapor is marketed as safer but they deliver a cocktail of toxic chemicals, which include carcinogens. The vapor releases nano particles, which trigger inflammation and have been linked to stroke, asthma , heart disease, Diabetes, etc. The FDA announced plans to regulate e-cigarrettes( I guess they're finally on board, and I'm not the only one thinking it's necessary). Here is some data you may find interesting:

L. Kosmider et al. Carbonyl Compounds in Electronic Vapors- Effects of nicotine solvent and battery output voltage. Nicotine and Tobacco Research . Published online May 15, 2014. Doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntu078

L.E. Crotty Alexander et al. Electronic Cigarrette Vapor (ECV) Exposure decreases Staphylococcus Aureus susceptibility to macrophage and Neutrophil killing. American Thoracic Society International Conference , San Diego, May18, 2014.

FBM

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 10:17 am
@Germlat,
It's such a new thing that the research data just isn't conclusive yet. Something more recent: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cigarette-debate-reignites-vaping-report/story?id=25271245

Quote:
E-Cigarette Debate Reignites With New Vaping Report

Sep 6, 2014, 7:26 AM ET
By LIZ NEPORENT

British researchers say electronic cigarettes could save 6,000 lives per year for every million smokers, a claim that has reignited the debate over the health impact of vaping.

In an editorial published British Journal of General Practice, the research team from University London College argued that the public health community was jumping the gun in their rush to regulate e-cigarettes the same as tobacco products.

“Given that smokers smoke primarily for the nicotine but die primarily from the tar, one might imagine that e-cigarettes would be welcomed as a means to prevent much of the death and suffering caused by cigarettes,” they wrote.

The editorial adds to a growing controversy in the scientific community about the safety of e-cigarettes. Just last week the World Health Organization called for a ban on e-cigarettes in public spaces – a move endorsed by more than a dozen public health groups calling for tighter regulations of “vaping” products.

But in an open letter to the WHO back in May, more than 50 researchers cautioned against overregulation, asking the organization to “resist the urge to control and suppress e-cigarettes.” The devices could be a significant health innovation and classifying them as tobacco will do more harm than good, the letter stated.

But the science on e-cigs as a smoking cessation tool is mixed. Earlier this year, the UCL team found that smokers were about 60 percent more likely to quit if they used e-cigarettes. But other studies have found that smokers who switched to e-cigarettes were less likely or no more likely to quit than if they used a patch or gum.

Perhaps most alarmingly, a recent study from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found e-cigarette use among school age children has tripled in the last three years, with half of kids who report vaping stating that they intended to smoke conventional cigarettes within the next year.

A second editorial published today in The Lancet concluded that there isn’t enough evidence to claim e-cigarettes are safe or that they reduce levels of tobacco use.

“A credible case can therefore be made that, unless reliable evidence shows e-cigarettes to be effective cessation aids, there is little justification for their sale,” the editorial reads.

Many major health groups have expressed concerns over the rising use of e-cigarettes. Last week, The American Lung Association along with nearly twenty other public health organizations issued comments to the Food and Drug Administration, urging the agency to speed up the oversight process of vaping products.

“E-cigarettes are guilty until proven innocent, said Erika Sward the assistant vice president of the American Lung Association said, adding that regulation can’t come soon enough.

“For instance, we don’t know if people who use them would otherwise quit smoking altogether or if they eventually lead them back to using tobacco,” she added. “There are too many things about the medium and long term health effects we simply don’t know about yet know.”

Dr. Leonard Lichtenfeld, the deputy chief medical officer for the American Cancer Society, said “we cannot forget the lessons of the past where modified cigarettes were supposed to be less harmful and instead created greater harm.”

“We’re not trying to predict the future but we need to step back and understand the potential benefits and possible risks of e-cigarettes,” he said. “What we need is well done research and high quality evidence to answer the fundamental questions about the health risk of e-cigarettes and their role in smoking cessation.”

As far as I can tell, the science just isn't there yet, so the jury's still out.
ehBeth

Wed 5 Nov, 2014 10:25 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:
The average person doesn't seem to know how exactly how many milligrams of nicotine they are consuming daily.

and the exact same thing is true of people who smoke cigarettes

some people smoke only the beginning of the cigarette, some work down to the bitter end, some use filtered, some unfiltered. there are tons of variables.

right now, I'll accept any decrease in smoking that results from e-cigs/vaping as progress.
0 Replies