Al Gore's double standard

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 12:59 pm
Algore wrote:
It is now clear that their obscene abuses of the truth and their unforgivable abuse of the trust placed in them after 9/11 by the American people led directly to the abuses of the prisoners in Abu Ghraib prison and, we are now learning, in many other similar facilities constructed as part of Bush's Gulag, in which, according to the Red Cross, 70 to 90 percent of the victims are totally innocent of any wrongdoing.

The same dark spirit of domination has led them to - for the first time in American history - imprison American citizens with no charges, no right to see a lawyer, no right to notify their family, no right to know of what they are accused, and no right to gain access to any court to present an appeal of any sort. The Bush Admistration has even acquired the power to compel librarians to tell them what any American is reading, and to compel them to keep silent about the request - or else the librarians themselves can also be imprisoned.

I was re-reading BPB's Algore post and it occured to me that he was referring to Jose Padilla. One guy. One single american who by rights is a bad person but the bleeding heart that pumps away in Algore's chest makes him defend him. It occured to me that if algore is going to use this single incident as a rallying point, then that single sarin filled shell should constitute a conclusive find of WMD's and thus exonerate Bush of all the lies that he has been accused of. Right? Or is this just a double standard that the Liberals are allowed to get away with?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:09 pm
I don't know who he was referring to in particular (if he was, at all), but AlGore makes a very valid and pertinent point. We're all entitled to certain rights, period.

I suggest you take one of these and get back to us:

http://www.2000greetings.com/chill_pill.jpg
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:25 pm
Re: Al Gore's double standard
McGentrix wrote:
It occured to me that if algore is going to use this single incident as a rallying point, then that single sarin filled shell should constitute a conclusive find of WMD's and thus exonerate Bush of all the lies that he has been accused of. Right? Or is this just a double standard that the Liberals are allowed to get away with?

Probably the double standard, but we shouldn't allow them to get away with it. I didn't have time to read the whole article, but from what I could see he mentions the prison abuses in paragraph after paragraph. It looks like he's basing his condemnation of the administration's foreign policy and everything else totally on the actions of less than a dozen soldiers and civilians. Maybe there's a deeper meaning in there but I didn't see it from a quick skim of the article.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:37 pm
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/5841.jpg
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:56 pm
Hahahaha!!!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 03:17 pm
Long time lurker, first post.

Quote:
It occured to me that if algore is going to use this single incident as a rallying point, then that single sarin filled shell should constitute a conclusive find of WMD's and thus exonerate Bush of all the lies that he has been accused of. Right? Or is this just a double standard that the Liberals are allowed to get away with?

A single sarin filled shell, which by the way didn't manage to actually kill anyone, is not the same thing as a WMD threat strong enough to go to war over. Don't compare apples and oranges.

Re-read Gore's article. He talks a lot about the prisoner scandal, but more about the general lack of competence in the Bush administration's officials which lead to the situation.

I've yet to have anyone explain how moving prisoners around in order to avoid the Red Cross is the actions of a few soldiers, and not a policy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 03:47 pm
Technically we have found Weapons (plural) of Mass Destruction, since prior to the Sarin shell there was one with mustard gas in it. I suspect even a warehouse full wouldn't be enough for some people's satisfaction, though.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 04:02 pm
I don't think that mustard gas can qualify as a WMD. Nasty and a banned weapon for sure but WMD?
0 Replies

Radikal

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:11 pm
!
"makes him defend him."

This is another example, among thousands, of the shallow illogical Right Wing mind.

Pointing out that basic human rights have been taken away is not defending that one person specificly but pointing out that no one should be deprived of the Bill of Rights.

Do Repubuclicans & Neocons not believe in the Bill of Rights?

It is obvious that this present Regime does not believe in adhering to the Geneva Convention rules. Of course they scream and whine about other countries not adhering to them. There is a fitting word for the GW Bush Regime:Hypocrisy!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:32 pm
Actually I think they detained that guy from Portland too - the one who was accused of having something to do with the train bombings in Spain. I heard that was due to mistaken identification of fingerprints.
0 Replies

Radikal

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:53 pm
!
Good thing for him that he is an attorney or otherwise he wouldn't have had one.

I know that Neo Fascist don't believe in the Bill of Rights or the US Constitution.Come on. Don't Republicans believe in those?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:35 am
The guy from Oregon was being held as a material witness. Charges had been brought against him and he had a lawyer. Further investigation showed he was the wrong guy. Authorities apologized and set him free.
0 Replies