Archbishop enters communion debate

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:58 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I don't think it's right if Republicans OR democrats do it. I think it's a serious problem in our society.

If your church didn't do that, great. I'm sure most of them don't. I'm sure most churches didn't try to control people's politics back in the days of our Consitituion. But the founders considered the seperation to be so important, they made it one of our basic rules. It must be guarded against, religion is simply much too powerful a tool for the control of the weak minded. You must consider the possiblity for abuses.

Cycloptichorn

Ok, now we have some common ground. I agree that all churches should refrain from telling people who specifically to vote for (or what specific party they should vote for). Because that would be a violation of federal law regarding charitable organizations. But that is not what the Catholic church did, so there is no problem.

Gosh, I would also agree that there are I am sure a few pastors have at one time or another urged their flock to vote a certain way. I would be a bit nuts to say otherwise, given that they are just as human as anyone else. But again, that is not what is happening here in this instance.

I would like to thank you though for pointing out to me that I am weak-minded, since it seems you equate faith in Christ as weak-mindedness. I learn something new everyday here. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:04 pm
Heh. Don't take it personally, man, but there is a long and established history between religion and the control of the masses.

I didn't say faith.
I didn't say spirituality.
I didn't say belief in Christ (or whoever you happen to believe in)

I said religion. Religion is like the bueracracy that glues our communities to those three things. The ties that bind it together can bind people from free thought and expression as well.

Does that mean that all religious people are weak minded? Of course not! Does that mean that the nature of religion can control those who are weak minded? Yes. The most extreme examples of this are cults, and I guess suicide terrorists are the most extreme of all.

It's worth keeping an eye on.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:05 pm
BillW wrote:
Sorry, wasn't trying to lay blame CR. Agree that I do normally do that and was close here. I was really being simple and saying I was just presenting the facts and not trying to make a squeeze play on either party.

I have problems with the labor union issues also. BTW, when the radical elements of the right were the radical elements of the left back before the move in the 50's, 60's and 70's - the church was for the Dems that would change that faction to Rep!

I didn't take it personally Bill. I can see how you would have thought I was bringing in party affiliation based on my post. I was only trying to come up with a response to Cy's assumption that that republicans were the only ones who benefit from churches advocating a candidate. I may not have made that clear. It would suit me just fine if all special interest groups kept their noses out of telling their people how they should vote. And I really do understand why churches cannot endorse a particular candidate or push membership to vote a particular party. And if that is what was happening here, I would be right there with you.

Heck, I would resent any group telling me I had to vote a certain way in order to be a member in good standing. Laughing
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:11 pm
Here is some of the outcry, and as/if it continues, it too will grow:

Quote:
Jimmy Breslin
Church should pay for its politics

May 4, 2004

Beautiful. I think the best thing to come out of the big Catholics in New York, the Powerhouse, St. Patrick's Cathedral, in many years is the shucking of this cloak that tries to cover their right-wing politics. It never really did. Now they campaign openly as right-wingers in the national election.

Absolutely marvelous! They can just step right out and hang a campaign banner from the front of St. Patrick's Cathedral:

Vote Bush! He Stops Abortions!

The big Catholic clergymen are right-wing Republicans. I always felt sorry that they had to keep hiding this. No more. This year they have finally come out for all to see what they are.

They don't want this Kerry. He is a liberal Democrat. Kerry votes in favor of women having the right to choose on abortion. Ask anybody at the top of the church. This man is for murdering babies. He and his liberals are against the war in Iraq, and for women in the church, money for education in poor schools. Catholic bishops are for staying in there in Iraq. No matter how many funerals we have to run in poor neighborhoods. And for how many years, they were for capital punishment. They have a passionate denial of women in any role, no matter what the wreckage caused by old, white-haired males who leap onto altar boys.

The cathedral now is an official political clubhouse for the right. The cathedral and the residence take up the square block, Fifth Avenue between 50th and 51st Streets, and down both streets to Madison Avenue and the cardinal's residence.

In a fair society, the property would have a real-estate tax of $10 million a year. It is unique for a large religion to lose a tax-free status. But at the same time, the Catholic church here seems so obsessed with playing an open role in Republican Party politics that I guess they are willing to pay $10 million a year for the right.

The only years that really count are the national election years. But they must pay the tax in off years. So that means they would actually be paying $40 million each four years for the right to back a Republican presidential candidate. I admire them for it.

I pass St. Patrick's and the place brings tears to my eyes. They are not hypocrites. They truly mean what they say. They don't want the Democratic nominee for president to be part of their business. I don't agree with them on one issue politically. But, by God, if they are going to lose their real-estate tax exemption and put out $40 million to support George Bush, then I give them a slight bow. Beautiful!

If the Catholics are going to do something, then let's do it big. They already have started open political campaigning by saying that John Kerry probably won't be invited to the cardinal's famous Alfred E. Smith memorial dinner in the fall. I'm all for that. At last, Catholics are letting everybody know exactly the real Catholic positions on an election.

The bishops don't want liberals under the same roof. Already, a Cardinal has called for Kerry to be denied the right to receive communion at a Catholic Mass. This is centered in Massachusetts and has nothing to do with New York realty taxes.

The Smith dinner is named for former New York Gov. Alfred E. Smith, whose laws after the Triangle Shirtwaist fire still protect workers. Every four years the dinner becomes a national story, with the presidential candidates attending and everybody watching how the cardinal acts toward them.

The most famous appearance was in October in 1960 when Cardinal Spellman rooted so hard for Richard Nixon alongside him, and forget this Kennedy; he says he's a Catholic but he's not mine. Kennedy got up and put Spellman in shock and stole the room: "Cardinal Spellman is the only man so widely respected in American politics that he could bring together, amicably, at the same banquet table, for the first time in this campaign, two political leaders who are increasingly apprehensive about the November election, who have long eyed each other suspiciously, and who have disagreed so strongly, both publicly and privately, Vice President Nixon and Governor Rockefeller."

His charm carried the room and went out of it to the nation. Nobody on either side can do that this year. But we do have principles. We don't want John Kerry at the dinner because he supports abortions and our big Catholics seem ready to put up $40 million to say it. Absolutely marvelous!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:11 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Heh. Don't take it personally, man, but there is a long and established history between religion and the control of the masses.

I didn't say faith.
I didn't say spirituality.
I didn't say belief in Christ (or whoever you happen to believe in)

I said religion. Religion is like the bueracracy that glues our communities to those three things. The ties that bind it together can bind people from free thought and expression as well.

Does that mean that all religious people are weak minded? Of course not! Does that mean that the nature of religion can control those who are weak minded? Yes. The most extreme examples of this are cults, and I guess suicide terrorists are the most extreme of all.

It's worth keeping an eye on.

Cycloptichorn

Ok, thanks for the explaination. Now it makes better sense to me. Sometimes I can be a bit dense. At least that is what my wife tells me.

I guess it is much the same way I feel about celebrities who believe in an issue and run around using their influence on their weak-minded fans. They lead people to think that somehow just because they are famous, they know better than the general public and thus in some ways hold some influence over their fans. I know that is not the best example to equate what you are saying.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:14 pm
I have always said that religion is for the guy who needs an 'agent' to go between him and his God. The cost is 10%, time on their schedule, and "man" created dictates that aren't always in line with ones own beliefs.

Spirituality is for those who wish to go directly to the source Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:20 pm
A better example than you think. Remember how the first commandment is (paraphrased, lol, how disappointed my mother would be) "Thou shalt worship no other god before me" or something to that effect.

Hero worship is what weak-minded fans of celebrities do. There were celebrities back then too, just on a smaller scale, and the early builders of Judaism realized the power of the individual to sway someone.

So actually I like the example. Smile

Cycloptichorn

p.s. I think that if you look back into history, you can see many, many instances where religion has had a negative or constrictive effect on the society in which it is involved. But you have a hard time finding stories of faith or spirituality having a negative effect, as these are the true essences of the good human. Religion, as an earthly institution, is subject to the same corruptions and failings as any other human endeavour, and thus is worth keeping an eye on.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:23 pm
When Jesus roamed the earth, there were many traveling evangelists, he was but one. All of them said they were the Messiah. That is one of the reasons the Jews don't except him as "The One". It was a job and someone had to do it Confused
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:33 pm
Quote:

Survey: Bishops Shouldn't Pressure Voters

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK (AP) - About 71 percent of American voters believe U.S. Roman Catholic bishops should not publicly pressure Catholic politicians on abortion, according to a survey released Thursday.

And 85 percent said their view of Democrat John Kerry was unchanged by bishops' recent criticism of the Catholic presidential candidate for his support for abortion rights, according to the Quinnipiac University poll.

When broken down by Catholic voters, 66 percent said the bishops should not publicly pressure Catholic lawmakers and 87 percent said the bishops' comments would not influence their vote in November.

Several bishops have sparked a national debate over religion and politics by saying that Kerry should not receive Communion.

Archbishop Raymond Burke of St. Louis has taken the firmest stand on the issue, saying he would not give the sacrament to the candidate.

Other bishops have said Kerry should not attempt to take Communion, but would not be denied the sacrament if he did. And some prelates have said Communion should not be used as a public sanction.

A committee of American bishops is developing guidelines on how the church should respond to Catholic politicians whose public positions are at odds with the faith's teaching.

The poll of 1,160 registered voters was conducted May 18-24 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percent. The margin of error for the subgroup of Catholic respondents was plus or minus 5.6 percentage points.

Fifty-five percent of all the respondents said abortion should be legal in most or all cases.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 12:03 pm
steissd wrote:
It is no different than labor unions who try to influence their members to vote a certain way. Or any other group for that matter.

I do not agree. Religion is something personal, the church/temple/mosque etc. is a place to get away from all the problems you are faced with in real life. Therefore, it is not the place for politics. Because: when you do not listen to the Church, does that mean you are not a "good" Catholic?

I respect the views of the Catholic Church (I'm Catholic myself, though not religious). But it is not their task to get involved with politics. That's politics. Therefore we, in the Netherlands, have Christian parties like the CDA, ChristenUnie and SGP.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 12:04 pm
Sorry, I mean "CoastalRat wrote"... sorry, little bit mixed up. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 12:18 pm
This is a fake issue and an attempt to deflect the bad press that the Roman Catholic Church as received of late. Over the past several years it has been revealed that this institution in the US is shot through with pedophiles and a leadership that will protect them. It has suffered serious losses both financially and in image. The political shouting is an attempt to direct attention away from that scandal and get people talking about something else.
0 Replies