Can anyone help with my essay outline?

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 06:21 pm
I am making an outline for my first in class college essay, the prompt is "How does language impact society? " and unless you can think of something better, It made me think about how many teenagers are unsure what they want to do for their future career paths right out of high school and how parents and social influences pressure teens into certain fields, here's my thesis I have so far..

"Language helps teenagers navigate their comprehension of potential career paths."

Now I'm trying to think of body paragraphs.

For my first body paragraph I would like to talk about how parents influence teens career choices , I would also like to add something personal like my experiences of uncertainty in what I want to do, should I include that I personally had career uncertainty, or not ? If so, should I put it in my first paragraph about parental influences or make a paragraph about it by itself ?

Perhaps I could also talk about how gender stereotypes influence which career path teens pursue? Would that be a good idea?

Finally, I need help thinking of topics for my last two body paragraphs.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it the help! I'm sorry if I can't help for essay outline assistance, I am unsure.

Also, the outline can be used on the essay we will write in class so I would like to have something good prepared Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,305 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:02 pm
@ominous1337,
I think you've got fine ideas so far. What I would suggest is to start out with general ideas and concepts and then go more specific (e. g. your personal experiences, etc.). BTW, didn't you write essays in High School? Didn't you write one for your admissions application? So maybe do that sort of essay writing.
ominous1337

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:21 pm
@jespah,
Thank you, yes indeed I did, I will have to think about it. I thought about doing the third paragraph on social interactions (like your friends) influencing you in career path choice, But would it be monotonous to have a paragraph on parental pressure on career path choice AND a paragraph on friends and acquaintance pressure? Would that be better in a single paragraph covering peers as a whole?
jespah

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:32 pm
@ominous1337,
Parents are different than peers, though. They (the parents) presumably carry more weight with their recommendations.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:50 pm
This may not impact you, so take it with a grain of salt, but besides parents, peers, and my own teen reading experiences in and out of high school classes being helpful, when I was looking around - more than once - to change majors at my university, the actual university catalog descriptions of classes in different majors fascinated me. Written language is language too.
0 Replies